Essential Elements for Your B&B Website

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys!
This conversation took off in an interesting direction, ey?! So, here is a list of a few of the essentials for some of the best B&B website designs I've seen.
1.) Large Homepage Slideshow showcasing QUALITY photos of B&B interior, exterior, & surrounding area.
---> When I say quality, I mean it's worth it to bring in a professional photographer rather than doing it the good ole' DIY method with your iPhone. The photos will go a long way drawing people into your B&B immediately when they get to the website.
2.) Set the slideshow speed to be fairly quick. This is a helpful little trick to let customers see more of your B&B upon visiting your site, before they leave.
3.) CLEAR CALL TO ACTION. This is one of the most important aspects of any website in general. The key to a good website is that people shouldn't have to think. The Main CTAs should be A.) To Book, B.) Check Availability and C.) Entice with specials and deals. Furthermore, the more obvious the answers to their questions are, the more time it saves you not having to answer that which is readily available on the website. People want their answers ASAP on a website, and even just a moment of searching will lead them to stop.
4.) Look and Feel: Similar to what Madeline said above - your look and feel should showcase the vibe and atmosphere of your B&B. If you own a B&B along the Delaware River that works with rafting and kayaking companies and appeals to the outdoorsy traveler, then your website should showcase this type of personality, and also make it obvious that it caters to those with that interest. If you run a B&B in the middle of the mountains equipped with massage packages and a honey moon sweet, then your website should showcase this elegance and luxury. People are very visual, and as you already noted, don't like to read to find out about your B&B. It should say it all in the branding.
5.) TIP: Showcase the seasons. If you're operating a B&B that has 4 seasons, flip out the photos to prepare for each one. It'll let people visualize their experience at that time and entice them to book with you more. If a guest wants a winter getaway in Vermont, they want to see a warm fire with snow outside and hot chocolate, not lemonade glasses on the desk during a hot summer day, and visa versa.
What do you guys think?.
I went to your website to see your work, I cannot see more than a homepage on any of the sites you have done? How can we see how a site operates? Give us a link and we can check them out.
thumbs_up.gif

Hey guys!
This conversation took off in an interesting direction, ey?! So, here is a list of a few of the essentials for some of the best B&B website designs I've seen.
1.) Large Homepage Slideshow showcasing QUALITY photos of B&B interior, exterior, & surrounding area.
---> When I say quality, I mean it's worth it to bring in a professional photographer rather than doing it the good ole' DIY method with your iPhone. The photos will go a long way drawing people into your B&B immediately when they get to the website.
2.) Set the slideshow speed to be fairly quick. This is a helpful little trick to let customers see more of your B&B upon visiting your site, before they leave.
3.) CLEAR CALL TO ACTION. This is one of the most important aspects of any website in general. The key to a good website is that people shouldn't have to think. The Main CTAs should be A.) To Book, B.) Check Availability and C.) Entice with specials and deals. Furthermore, the more obvious the answers to their questions are, the more time it saves you not having to answer that which is readily available on the website. People want their answers ASAP on a website, and even just a moment of searching will lead them to stop.
4.) Look and Feel: Similar to what Madeline said above - your look and feel should showcase the vibe and atmosphere of your B&B. If you own a B&B along the Delaware River that works with rafting and kayaking companies and appeals to the outdoorsy traveler, then your website should showcase this type of personality, and also make it obvious that it caters to those with that interest. If you run a B&B in the middle of the mountains equipped with massage packages and a honey moon sweet, then your website should showcase this elegance and luxury. People are very visual, and as you already noted, don't like to read to find out about your B&B. It should say it all in the branding.
5.) TIP: Showcase the seasons. If you're operating a B&B that has 4 seasons, flip out the photos to prepare for each one. It'll let people visualize their experience at that time and entice them to book with you more. If a guest wants a winter getaway in Vermont, they want to see a warm fire with snow outside and hot chocolate, not lemonade glasses on the desk during a hot summer day, and visa versa.
What do you guys think?.
LaurenRains said:
What do you guys think?
I think it's great advice, much of which we've discussed before, but good to refresh, plus help folks who haven't been here as long as others.
Regarding slideshow time, do you have a number of seconds you recommend? It's definitely a balance between trying to show lots in the few seconds people stay on the page, and the frustration you can cause people who want to examine something in a photo and it changes too quickly!
Of course, most slideshows these days pause if you click a photo, but not everybody knows to do that.

Hey guys!
What do you guys think?.
Error on this page: http://www.wildworldcreative.com/web-design-by-wild-world-creative/
Joey thank you SO MUCH for pointing that out! Can I ask where did you find that link? I can't seem to find it. I just relaunched the site last week after an extensive revamp.
The correct one about web design is this: http://www.wildworldcreative.com/web-design-services/
Thanks again!
- Lauren

Hey guys!
What do you guys think?.
I went to your website to see your work, I cannot see more than a homepage on any of the sites you have done? How can we see how a site operates? Give us a link and we can check them out.
thumbs_up.gif

Hi Joey - thank you for the feedback! I will add links to the websites and post more screenshots and let you know when that's been updated.

Hey guys!
What do you guys think?.
LaurenRains said:
What do you guys think?
I think it's great advice, much of which we've discussed before, but good to refresh, plus help folks who haven't been here as long as others.
Regarding slideshow time, do you have a number of seconds you recommend? It's definitely a balance between trying to show lots in the few seconds people stay on the page, and the frustration you can cause people who want to examine something in a photo and it changes too quickly!
Of course, most slideshows these days pause if you click a photo, but not everybody knows to do that.
Arkansawyer said:
LaurenRains said:
What do you guys think?
It's definitely a balance between trying to show lots in the few seconds people stay on the page, and the frustration you can cause people who want to examine something in a photo and it changes too quickly!
It's stopped now but when I first put up the slideshow (and I did have some of the gang here test the speed) I had callers saying the slideshow went too quickly and they couldn't pick the room they wanted. Sigh. All of the same photos were a mere scroll away down the page. They thought the slideshow was it. Never saw the amenities, prices, nothing.

Hey guys!
What do you guys think?.
thumbs_up.gif

Hi Joey - thank you for the feedback! I will add links to the websites and post more screenshots and let you know when that's been updated.
LaurenRains said:
Not really interested in screen shots though, what I want to do is CLICK and see the features. That is important. Load times, etc. Thx!

Hey guys!
What do you guys think?.
LaurenRains said:
What do you guys think?
Arkansawyer said:
LaurenRains said:
What do you guys think?
It's definitely a balance between trying to show lots in the few seconds people stay on the page, and the frustration you can cause people who want to examine something in a photo and it changes too quickly!
It's stopped now but when I first put up the slideshow (and I did have some of the gang here test the speed) I had callers saying the slideshow went too quickly and they couldn't pick the room they wanted. Sigh. All of the same photos were a mere scroll away down the page. They thought the slideshow was it. Never saw the amenities, prices, nothing.
Madeleine said:
Arkansawyer said:
LaurenRains said:
What do you guys think?
A new website was launched in our state and the photos are giant, not adequately sized (so they are fuzzy) and not very attractive on the header slideshow. I mentioned them using stock photos until they can get their own photos. (and I never recommend stock photos!)
So if you DO have a slideshow, make it interesting. If the photo is very detailed then a fast slide show is no good, but then the very detailed photo may not be a very good choice either.

Hey guys!
What do you guys think?.
LaurenRains said:
What do you guys think?
Arkansawyer said:
LaurenRains said:
What do you guys think?
It definitely is a magic number! Here are a few of my thoughts on slideshows. I absolutely LOVE them on websites, but there are a few things to think about
1.) The Slideshow Purpose: If you want the purpose of your slideshow to be a way for people to view rooms and therefore click on a button call to action that would read "book now" then yes, the slideshow should go slower. If, on the other hand, the purpose of the slideshow is to give viewers an overview of the B&B, then it can go quicker. The slides don't necessarily have to book to anything, and can be seen as just a slideshow. If this is done, then I'd recommend immediately below the slideshow placing a tagline and button call to action that lets people view rooms and availability.
2.) Pause on Hover: Some slideshows (nearly all that use wordpress today im not sure about Joomla or Drupal if that's what you use) are set to automatically pause when a viewer hovers over the image with their cursor. Oftentimes, we do this subconsciously. Furthermore, if it's the kind of slideshow where you want people to click, they'll obviously be moving their cursor over to the image, and they'll be less likely to miss it.
3.) Thumbnails: Another option is to add small thumbnails below the slideshow that people can click to go back and forth between. You can make them smaller so they don't take up too much essential space on the homepage. There are some slideshows that will have drop-down thumbs once you hover over the slideshow as well. The real estate of the homepage is essential, so, choose wisely!
4.) Slider Navigation: the other option is a simple slider navigation but arrows on either side or at the bottom so people can flip through themselves even if you have it set to automatic.
5.) Set a different speed for 1st slide. Some wordpress sliders will let you set a different speed for the first slide. This means that for the first slide, you can set it to just 2 seconds until it transitions to the next slide, now pulling the viewer in, and the other slides will now transition at 4 seconds.
6.) Dynamic Slideshows: Slideshows don't just have to be one full-width image rotating, though there's nothing wrong with that. Done correctly, you can have text drop in, possibly reading the "name of the room" or "name of package" or "special holiday deal". If you do this, you'll like want to make it so the slideshow will link to its respected landing page.
Hope this helps in the world of slideshows! Would love to hear your thoughts on some of these points, or if you have any slideshows that include these features please share the link so we can check them out. I have a few I can show you guys once I grab the links!
Have sliding!
- Lauren

Hey guys!
What do you guys think?.
LaurenRains said:
What do you guys think?
Arkansawyer said:
LaurenRains said:
What do you guys think?
It definitely is a magic number! Here are a few of my thoughts on slideshows. I absolutely LOVE them on websites, but there are a few things to think about
1.) The Slideshow Purpose: If you want the purpose of your slideshow to be a way for people to view rooms and therefore click on a button call to action that would read "book now" then yes, the slideshow should go slower. If, on the other hand, the purpose of the slideshow is to give viewers an overview of the B&B, then it can go quicker. The slides don't necessarily have to book to anything, and can be seen as just a slideshow. If this is done, then I'd recommend immediately below the slideshow placing a tagline and button call to action that lets people view rooms and availability.
2.) Pause on Hover: Some slideshows (nearly all that use wordpress today im not sure about Joomla or Drupal if that's what you use) are set to automatically pause when a viewer hovers over the image with their cursor. Oftentimes, we do this subconsciously. Furthermore, if it's the kind of slideshow where you want people to click, they'll obviously be moving their cursor over to the image, and they'll be less likely to miss it.
3.) Thumbnails: Another option is to add small thumbnails below the slideshow that people can click to go back and forth between. You can make them smaller so they don't take up too much essential space on the homepage. There are some slideshows that will have drop-down thumbs once you hover over the slideshow as well. The real estate of the homepage is essential, so, choose wisely!
4.) Slider Navigation: the other option is a simple slider navigation but arrows on either side or at the bottom so people can flip through themselves even if you have it set to automatic.
5.) Set a different speed for 1st slide. Some wordpress sliders will let you set a different speed for the first slide. This means that for the first slide, you can set it to just 2 seconds until it transitions to the next slide, now pulling the viewer in, and the other slides will now transition at 4 seconds.
6.) Dynamic Slideshows: Slideshows don't just have to be one full-width image rotating, though there's nothing wrong with that. Done correctly, you can have text drop in, possibly reading the "name of the room" or "name of package" or "special holiday deal". If you do this, you'll like want to make it so the slideshow will link to its respected landing page.
Hope this helps in the world of slideshows! Would love to hear your thoughts on some of these points, or if you have any slideshows that include these features please share the link so we can check them out. I have a few I can show you guys once I grab the links!
Have sliding!
- Lauren

Hey guys!
What do you guys think?.
LaurenRains said:
What do you guys think?
Arkansawyer said:
LaurenRains said:
What do you guys think?
Madeleine said:
Arkansawyer said:
LaurenRains said:
What do you guys think?
A new website was launched in our state and the photos are giant, not adequately sized (so they are fuzzy) and not very attractive on the header slideshow. I mentioned them using stock photos until they can get their own photos. (and I never recommend stock photos!)
So if you DO have a slideshow, make it interesting. If the photo is very detailed then a fast slide show is no good, but then the very detailed photo may not be a very good choice either.
Absolutely. Great points.
Each photo should have a specific purpose. Think of it like this, "What are the 5 main selling points of my B&B?"
Each photo should display one of these 5 points and display 5 clear messages. If it's 5 random images that don't have a specific purpose, then the slideshow definitely isn't fulfilling its purpose.

Hey guys!
What do you guys think?.
YOu are preaching to the choir here. We all know this information. But it will be helpful to those just dropping in and not regulars.

Hey guys!
What do you guys think?.
YOu are preaching to the choir here. We all know this information. But it will be helpful to those just dropping in and not regulars.
...or people just getting into the industry. Marketing, and online marketing in general, as well as website changes and how it affects conversion rate, is not as intuitive to some as it is to others. It's also just fun to talk about and get people sharing what's been working for them.

Back