Ethical Breakfast Dilemma

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Farmers Daughter

Reaction score
Lets say you were serving English Bangers at breakfast. (which are a compilation of various things including beef/pork/corn meal etc - they don't taste like regular pork sausage)
And an individual whom you knew did not eat pork, asked between big mouthfuls
" These are turkey, right?! "....................................would you be inclined to say 'yes'?
embaressed_smile.gif

EDIT - This is a HYPOTHETICAL situation steming from my own curiosity.
teeth_smile.gif

You mean you forgot and served them the pork anyway? Surely they could tell the diff between nasty dried up turkey snags and mixed sausage?

Wow, I have to answer this one from a catering perspective.... I would absolutely say no - and right away. You never know if they 'do not' eat pork for religious reasons or medical ones,
Besides, if they don't eat pork and end up sick because their body didn't digest it well, you don't want it to be said that your food made them sick, right?
Honesty is always the best policy - even if you have to take them privately someplace else

Yikes! Was it an oversight that you served them pork? I think I would tell them the truth. Otherwise they might ask for them again, or ask where they could buy them, and then you'd really be in a pickle. Everyone forgets food preferences once in a while and there are so many people who don't eat one thing or another that it's hard to keep track of them all.

How did it come to this pass anyway? If you knew they couldn't eat pork and served it to them anyway I'd have to ask if it was the snarky guest and this was some sort of revenge? Either way, if you knew and served it to them anyway without mentioning the pork content then that was a big no-no.

Was this the pita guest?
I worked catering as well and will never forget the night the caterer the big shot himself poured fully leaded coffee to the decaff oldies at some function on purpose. They're old and have heart problems you maniac! What the heck are you thinking!

How did it come to this pass anyway? If you knew they couldn't eat pork and served it to them anyway I'd have to ask if it was the snarky guest and this was some sort of revenge? Either way, if you knew and served it to them anyway without mentioning the pork content then that was a big no-no..
Bree said:
How did it come to this pass anyway? If you knew they couldn't eat pork and served it to them anyway I'd have to ask if it was the snarky guest and this was some sort of revenge?
Bwahahahahahahahahaaaa! It hasn't come to pass....but what a stellar idea!

How did it come to this pass anyway? If you knew they couldn't eat pork and served it to them anyway I'd have to ask if it was the snarky guest and this was some sort of revenge? Either way, if you knew and served it to them anyway without mentioning the pork content then that was a big no-no..
Bree said:
How did it come to this pass anyway? If you knew they couldn't eat pork and served it to them anyway I'd have to ask if it was the snarky guest and this was some sort of revenge?
The Farmers Daughter said:
Bree said:
I wasn't the only one to think like that...we're all a bit peeved FOR you and what you're dealing with.

Bree said:
Bree said:
I wasn't the only one to think like that...we're all a bit peeved FOR you and what you're dealing with.
Bree said:
Bree said:
Thank you. I appreciate that I have this group
723773.gif
to bounce things off of and let off a little steam from time to time.
This is what I will be doing when the PITA customer leaves:
173766.gif

NO...I would never lie about something like that. Who knows what they may be allergic to or whatever. Just be upfront about it. IF they don't like it..they don't eat it. YOu are not a restaurant..nor do you do "made to order" breakfast. If someone didn't like what we served..we always offered the option of giving them some scrambled eggs. Otherwise, they just left it on their plate. Fine with me.

Bree said:
Bree said:
Bree said:
Bree said:
723773.gif
173766.gif

173766.gif
May I suggest that the next time you get one of these guests that you serve Chocolate Chip Exlax Muffins.

Bree said:
Bree said:
Bree said:
Bree said:
723773.gif
173766.gif

173766.gif
May I suggest that the next time you get one of these guests that you serve Chocolate Chip Exlax Muffins.
Proud Texan said:
173766.gif
*note to self...double all future toilet paper orders*

Been away for a day and a half and it looks like I missed some goodies! DANG!!
I know this is a what if and not an actual - but always tell the truth. Allergies can kill and onw never knows what is someone's allergen. A 21 year old at a Taste of Chicago 16 years ago asked a vendor - is there peanuts or peanot oil in this and was told by the person working the booth, I do not know. He was old enough to have the brains GOD gave him to know IF IN DOUBT PASS but he chose to taste - and died, NOW! There was no time to get help of any kind - there was peanut oil. I am siting this to bring home the point of WHY we must be honest about ingredients.

I would absolutely own up to it. But usually, since Pork is King here and the Breakfast Meat of the South, that is one of my standard questions so it wouldn't be served to the non-pork meat products guest. Interesting question though.....

Back