European inn keepers froum?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aasta

Reaction score
Hello..have just joined..but this forum seems to be mostly for inns in the USA...does anyone know of any forums that cater more to inns B&B in Europe...we are just starting out and would love to connect with other innkeepers for the feedback...thanks...aasta

Stick around and chat with us. Although the rules may be different from Country to Country (here they are different from State to State and sometimes city to city in the same State), linens, cleaning, cooking, and people are the same all over. The different perspectives are interesting.

i agree ... many folks lurk here without speaking ... maybe they are in other countries and will speak now. surely, the challenges of innkeeping are very much the same for you? especially when you are just starting out. tell us about yourself.
innspiring international has a nice 'ring' to it, doesn't it?
welcome.gif

We have a few UK and Euro innkeepers on this forum who post regularly and I am sure plenty who lurk and don't post.
We have many similarities here in the USA and Canada, but I will say the USA is much more advanced, esp re web presence, online reservations, blogging, websites etc. So if you are starting out you might end up ahead of the curve by learning from some experienced innkeepers here on the forum. We have some that teach aspiring innkeeper classes, have written books, are president of an Innkeeping associations, etc etc.
Questions? Ask away.
welcome.gif

We have several from England here I do believe...but I agree with you...someone over there needs to get all of you together and do the same thing as we are doing here.
Edited: Of course, you are most welcome to chat with us
welcome.gif
Innkeepers have lots in common no matter where they are.

Stick around and chat with us. Although the rules may be different from Country to Country (here they are different from State to State and sometimes city to city in the same State), linens, cleaning, cooking, and people are the same all over. The different perspectives are interesting..
gillumhouse said:
...linens, cleaning, cooking, and people are the same all over.
Not necessarily the linens. Several years ago we hosted a Swedish exchange student for a school year. He was with us six weeks before we discovered he was sleeping between the top sheet and the blanket every night!
We learned that in Sweden, at least in his town, beds only have one sheet, a bottom sheet. Then atop them is a blanket inserted in a linen envelope so the blanket never touches their skin. Weekly they wash the bottom sheet and the linen envelope.
He said he was feeling sorry for the Americans, not knowing to insert their blankets in an envelope so it doesn't have to be washed regularly!
Since we were doing his laundry, he never realized there was a second sheet beneath the one he was sleeping on!

You mean a duvet cover or a doona? That is fairly common in many parts of the world. Americans are the one who like quilts and comforters mostly.

Arkansawyer said:
Yes, I've seen them all over the world. It's very sensible to wrap the blanket or quilt up in something washable. Keeps the blanket clean.
But coming from the south, I also know the value of being able to throw off the blanket, bedspread and just sleep under the top sheet when it's a warm night. There are times when I've been overseas and it was too cool to sleep with nothing on me, but too warm to use their heavy sheet-encased comfortors. So I've been known to rip the blanket out of the thing and just put the sheet sleeve over me! I'm always careful to stuff the blanket back into the thing the next morning.
I agree, and I require a top sheet even when it is super warm...one word skeeters. If there is one in a fifty mile radius it will find me.

You mean a duvet cover or a doona? That is fairly common in many parts of the world. Americans are the one who like quilts and comforters mostly..
Yes, doona. I believe it's a Swedish word, in fact. It's a removable cover into which you can insert a blanket or quilt, making a sort of un-quilted comforter. I've seen them all over the world. It's very sensible to wrap the blanket or quilt up in something washable. Keeps the blanket clean.
But coming from the south, I also know the value of being able to throw off the blanket, bedspread and just sleep under the top sheet when it's a warm night. There are times when I've been overseas and it was too cool to sleep with nothing on me, but too warm to use their heavy sheet-encased comforters. So I've been known to rip the blanket out of the thing and just put the sheet sleeve over me! I'm always careful to stuff the blanket back into the thing the next morning.
EDIT TO ADD...
For those having trouble picturing what we're talking about, I've looked around and can't really find a photo. But imagine a pillowcase large enough cover a whole bed. Instead of putting a pillow in it, put a blanket in it. When you put it on the bed like a comforter, putting the open end at the foot of the bed. Guests can't get their face or hands around the blanket. All they touch is the outer sheet-like case, which you remove and wash after each guest, then put the blanket back in and put it on the bed.
I think it would be pretty easy to make one by taking two sheets and sewing them together on one end and both sides, then turn it inside out so the seams look good and slide a blanket in from the open end.
I think I'll use these in my place (on top of the top sheet and under the bed spread, in place of just a blanket). I've never been able to stand to have a hotel blanket touch my face in the night! This solves that problem.

You mean a duvet cover or a doona? That is fairly common in many parts of the world. Americans are the one who like quilts and comforters mostly..
Yes, doona. I believe it's a Swedish word, in fact. It's a removable cover into which you can insert a blanket or quilt, making a sort of un-quilted comforter. I've seen them all over the world. It's very sensible to wrap the blanket or quilt up in something washable. Keeps the blanket clean.
But coming from the south, I also know the value of being able to throw off the blanket, bedspread and just sleep under the top sheet when it's a warm night. There are times when I've been overseas and it was too cool to sleep with nothing on me, but too warm to use their heavy sheet-encased comforters. So I've been known to rip the blanket out of the thing and just put the sheet sleeve over me! I'm always careful to stuff the blanket back into the thing the next morning.
EDIT TO ADD...
For those having trouble picturing what we're talking about, I've looked around and can't really find a photo. But imagine a pillowcase large enough cover a whole bed. Instead of putting a pillow in it, put a blanket in it. When you put it on the bed like a comforter, putting the open end at the foot of the bed. Guests can't get their face or hands around the blanket. All they touch is the outer sheet-like case, which you remove and wash after each guest, then put the blanket back in and put it on the bed.
I think it would be pretty easy to make one by taking two sheets and sewing them together on one end and both sides, then turn it inside out so the seams look good and slide a blanket in from the open end.
I think I'll use these in my place (on top of the top sheet and under the bed spread, in place of just a blanket). I've never been able to stand to have a hotel blanket touch my face in the night! This solves that problem.
Yes we understand..we have talked duvets here at length. :) Some of us "triple sheet" as well.

EDIT TO ADD...
Yes we understand..we have talked duvets here at length. :) Some of us "triple sheet" as well.
It's just that the duvets I found in photos online look quilted together, like they have a down filler that is not removable. The ones I'm talking about are a regular blanket, but in a removable outer wrapper that's washable. Yes, I'm probably talking about something you're all well aware of.

EDIT TO ADD...
It's just that the duvets I found in photos online look quilted together, like they have a down filler that is not removable. The ones I'm talking about are a regular blanket, but in a removable outer wrapper that's washable. Yes, I'm probably talking about something you're all well aware of.
Arkansawyer said:
Yes, a duvet is simply a cover for a quilt or blanket. Many times a duvet will be used in the winter over feather down as an extra layer. I have a few I bought years ago with buttons or snaps, and in fact there is even a trick to loading them quickly after washing, wash them inside out and put them on from inside out pulling them down over the blanket. There are a few here who use these (moreso in winter than the rest of the year). Many hotels use them now too which is nice.

Stick around and chat with us. Although the rules may be different from Country to Country (here they are different from State to State and sometimes city to city in the same State), linens, cleaning, cooking, and people are the same all over. The different perspectives are interesting..
gillumhouse said:
...linens, cleaning, cooking, and people are the same all over.
Not necessarily the linens. Several years ago we hosted a Swedish exchange student for a school year. He was with us six weeks before we discovered he was sleeping between the top sheet and the blanket every night!
We learned that in Sweden, at least in his town, beds only have one sheet, a bottom sheet. Then atop them is a blanket inserted in a linen envelope so the blanket never touches their skin. Weekly they wash the bottom sheet and the linen envelope.
He said he was feeling sorry for the Americans, not knowing to insert their blankets in an envelope so it doesn't have to be washed regularly!
Since we were doing his laundry, he never realized there was a second sheet beneath the one he was sleeping on!
With linens i meant type, quality, getting out stains issues. I have duvets on all my beds with down-filled comforters stuffed in 2 of them and a fiber-filled comforter in the duvet in my feather-free room. Having the duvets makes laudery soooo much easier. They are still a PAIN in the BUTT to stuff the comforter back into - especially King-size! Too heavy!

welcome.gif
Yes, stay and chat with us...good ideas from all over the world...I do like the sound of Innspring International!
Oh and if you haven't noticed we do get side tracked in some threads - just like talking on the phone!

As regards Duvet covers (we have them in the UK) if you are keen to have them you can order them online both inner part known as a Duvet and Duvet covers. The king size ones are a bit of a faff to handle but if there are two of you it is not so bad I corral DH to help me do the king size ones. They come in four sizes Single which is 3 foot six accross Double which is 4 foot 6 accross and King which is 5 foot accross I think or they fit beds that size there is also super king now which I think is 6 foot accross.

Back