Evening Turn Down Service

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do turndown service and our guests really like it. I also have the room ready at check-in - lights on, TV to guide channel with volume turned down, etc. The bed is made up with decorative shams, pillows, etc. It's not that these things are too fancy or precious, but it's the look of the room when they arrive & then they are moved out of the way (all our beds have 4 pillows on them plus the shams, etc.) for slumber. When they go to dinner - drapes or blinds are closed, shams & decorative pillows are removed, lights are lowered, and a turndown treat is left with a note that says, "Sweet Dreams, Your Innkeeper ~ Samster". I try to do a different treat every night for multiple night stays. Our guests comment that they feel pampered. I mention a turndown service & if they say it's not necessary (rare), I respect that. I also remind them of the "Privacy" hanger for the door if they don't want their room turned down. It only takes a very few minutes. The only other thing that I do at turndown is remove trash if needed. We do it every night if we know when they're out.
Late arriving guests get some combination of their room ready for check-in & a turndown service. We also leave small baskets of snacks in each room for check-in - 100 cal snack crackers, a granola bar, maybe a piece of fruit, package of peanuts, and a homemade treat. Just part of the service here....
I LIKE YOUR STYLE:) Good way to do it. I too always told our guests I would do turndown when they go to dinner.
Thanks! I'm blushing from the compliment.
embaressed_smile.gif
You know, I learned from the "Wise Ones".
regular_smile.gif

I always learn something here too from these discussions. I just tweaked my quick info sheet last night for the rooms to include a housekeeping note that says something aobut turndown. (I hope it works this time.)
HOUSEKEEPING: [COLOR= black]During your stay your bed will be made, room freshened, and towels changed daily. For extended stays, bed linens are changed after your third night, or if soiled. Should you require any additional house-keeping services during your stay, please contact the innkeeper. [/COLOR]An evening turndown service is also provided.
I also finally got around to doing some "green" cards for towels. For what it's worth with this giant tubs here....

I do not turn-down and unless requested, I do not enter the room during the visit. I tell my guests that I look at it as this is their home while they are here, and I would not enter their home without permission. If they need maid service, please tell me. Most tell me everything is fine. Many have told me they appreciate that, some have even said they do not like someone going into their room when they are out. So far, the only one to ever "disrespect" my house ws the jerk who wanted to canel a 3-night reservation when he arrived and expected me to smile and say goodbye (I would have been better off but he would have thought he could do that to someone else..).
"I do not turn-down and unless requested, I do not enter the room during the visit. I tell my guests that I look at it as this is their home while they are here, and I would not enter their home without permission. If they need maid service, please tell me. Most tell me everything is fine. Many have told me they appreciate that, some have even said they do not like someone going into their room when they are out. So far, the only one to ever "disrespect" my house ws the jerk who wanted to canel a 3-night reservation when he arrived and expected me to smile and say goodbye (I would have been better off but he would have thought he could do that to someone else..)"
I totally agree. I was viewing a B&B once for a future visit and the owners allowed us a "sneak peek" into one of the guests rooms, even though she had promised them that she would not go in. I was shocked. Who knows what the room would have looked like? That kept me from staying there, because an owner who invades the guests' privacy is not one that I want to stay with. The funny thing is, their little dog that was with us on the tour got stuck in the room-I almost wish that they wouldn't have found it and let the guest discover their "visitor"!

I do not turn-down and unless requested, I do not enter the room during the visit. I tell my guests that I look at it as this is their home while they are here, and I would not enter their home without permission. If they need maid service, please tell me. Most tell me everything is fine. Many have told me they appreciate that, some have even said they do not like someone going into their room when they are out. So far, the only one to ever "disrespect" my house ws the jerk who wanted to canel a 3-night reservation when he arrived and expected me to smile and say goodbye (I would have been better off but he would have thought he could do that to someone else..).
"I do not turn-down and unless requested, I do not enter the room during the visit. I tell my guests that I look at it as this is their home while they are here, and I would not enter their home without permission. If they need maid service, please tell me. Most tell me everything is fine. Many have told me they appreciate that, some have even said they do not like someone going into their room when they are out. So far, the only one to ever "disrespect" my house ws the jerk who wanted to canel a 3-night reservation when he arrived and expected me to smile and say goodbye (I would have been better off but he would have thought he could do that to someone else..)"
I totally agree. I was viewing a B&B once for a future visit and the owners allowed us a "sneak peek" into one of the guests rooms, even though she had promised them that she would not go in. I was shocked. Who knows what the room would have looked like? That kept me from staying there, because an owner who invades the guests' privacy is not one that I want to stay with. The funny thing is, their little dog that was with us on the tour got stuck in the room-I almost wish that they wouldn't have found it and let the guest discover their "visitor"!
Your example is a completely different situation than not doing a turn-down or refresh of a guest's room while they are in residence. It is completely inappropriate to allow another guest or potential guest into an occupied room, even for a peek from the door. I won't show rooms that aren't made up, either.
I think guests expect to have their rooms refreshed during the day - I have had a complaint from a guest who didn't get their room refreshed because they had the do not disturb sign out until dinner time, and my housekeeper skipped their room. Someone's choice not to have housekeeping or a turndown is one thing; not offering at least a refresh during a stay will get you a lousy review on Tripadvisor.

brighteyes_22 said:
The amount of people that plead and beg to see rooms that are occupied! You have to be a right butt-head to NOT allow them in to the rooms, which I will be. I won't let anyone see a room not made up or currently occupied.
I also have another important rule - I have children (not tots) that may help empty trash or carry fresh towels upstairs if we have a full weekend - they are NOT ALLOWED in occupied rooms. It is that simple - I would not put it past ANY CHILD to see a pretty ring and want to touch it, or even move something trying to be helpful. KIDS do not need to see how adults live (except their own parents) and that is that. In 5 years I have kept this rule even though it would have been easier to send them up with fresh towels alone to rooms.

Your example is a completely different situation than not doing a turn-down or refresh of a guest's room while they are in residence. It is completely inappropriate to allow another guest or potential guest into an occupied room, even for a peek from the door. I won't show rooms that aren't made up, either.
I think guests expect to have their rooms refreshed during the day - I have had a complaint from a guest who didn't get their room refreshed because they had the do not disturb sign out until dinner time, and my housekeeper skipped their room. Someone's choice not to have housekeeping or a turndown is one thing; not offering at least a refresh during a stay will get you a lousy review on Tripadvisor.
muirford said:
Part of the rating system from some groups like AAA REQUIRE a daily maid service for 2 diamond and above.

I always think I'd like to do turndowns, but I never do them. Like someone else said, once the people are checked in I'm whupped and need time with my family. We may add them someday, but for now I'm content to get in there daily and fluff their rooms.
If and when I get to them, it will be like the others here... then again, the way I feel right now they're not ever happening...
Oh, and JBJ, I wholeheartedly concur. No kids in occupied rooms. Or, if they come in for two seconds it's only after I've been in there first, and with me constantly watching them.
=)
Kk.

muirford said:
Part of the rating system from some groups like AAA REQUIRE a daily maid service for 2 diamond and above.
I make the offer for maid service. It is not as if I just ignore them. I ask if they need or want maid service. That is the difference. They know to say something and it will happen.

the place i ran was pretty casual with people coming and going all the time.
but .... when i had guests who went out for the day and i knew they would be back late ... or when they headed out to dinner ... i would slip in and do the turn down with a new chocolate on their pillow ... a few dim lights on ... temp at what i considered comfortable. if they were getting back after the snack time - basically after 8 pm all the pie or goodies would likely be gone - i'd put some on a tray in their room. they LOVED it.

as for turndown, it is not something we advertise or promise or even mention for that matter. reasons being, some of the ones you all have mentioned. i want to be able to have my own life too, some days are more exhausting than others, etc. however, on the days that i am not totally pooped or i just feel like doing something extra ( for the "ordinary" guests not just the ones who are celebrating something special) i will do a turndown ( closed blinds, turned down bedding, etc) i don't leave a chocolate though, as we put our homemade bon bons in the rooms anyway, i leave someting else. (single flower, bath salts, etc.)
i feel, doing it this way, works best for me because, if i don't have time, want to go out, etc. i am not comitted to doing turndown, so someone can't complain they didn't get it . i don't mention it at all, then they are pleasantly (so far) surprised when it does happen. it seems to make them feel special, like they are the only ones in the inn that received that little bit extra attention.
as far as soft music goes, this might sound silly, but i didn't know until recently that soft music could be part of a turndown. DH & i went away for a few days to stay at a larger inn/ spa, they did turndown. the first evening we came back to our room, we could faintly hear someone talking, it freaked us out at first we thought someone else was in our room. it was a 2 floor room & the voice was coming from upstairs. we both heard it & DH told me to go see if there was someone in there (he's pretty brave
wink_smile.gif
) anyway,...
that's how i discovered that music could be part of turndown.

We have do not disturb signs in the rooms which can be used to refuse maid service. Personally, I prefer the opt-out approach to the opt-in approach; I just feel that asking makes it more difficult for the guests to say yes to what they may perceive as bothering us or putting us out. Not that there aren't some who will say yes or those who will ask for more than you offer - like the couple who asked me to change the sheets on the second night of their two-night stay. 99% of your guests don't want to be a hassle for you.
Refreshes also make it more likely that there will be tips left for the housekeeper, and my housekeepers know that.
regular_smile.gif

the place i ran was pretty casual with people coming and going all the time.
but .... when i had guests who went out for the day and i knew they would be back late ... or when they headed out to dinner ... i would slip in and do the turn down with a new chocolate on their pillow ... a few dim lights on ... temp at what i considered comfortable. if they were getting back after the snack time - basically after 8 pm all the pie or goodies would likely be gone - i'd put some on a tray in their room. they LOVED it..
That sounds wonderful!! I would really appreciate that ...especially have some of the home baked treats saved for me
tounge_smile.gif

We have do not disturb signs in the rooms which can be used to refuse maid service. Personally, I prefer the opt-out approach to the opt-in approach; I just feel that asking makes it more difficult for the guests to say yes to what they may perceive as bothering us or putting us out. Not that there aren't some who will say yes or those who will ask for more than you offer - like the couple who asked me to change the sheets on the second night of their two-night stay. 99% of your guests don't want to be a hassle for you.
Refreshes also make it more likely that there will be tips left for the housekeeper, and my housekeepers know that.
regular_smile.gif
muirford said:
Not that there aren't some who will say yes or those who will ask for more than you offer - like the couple who asked me to change the sheets on the second night of their two-night stay. 99% of your guests don't want to be a hassle for you.
What's the deal with those people anyway? We don't seem to get that sort of crowd but friends do...'You ARE going to change the sheets everyday, aren't you?' And you wonder why that would be necessary.
Certainly if there is a problem, we will do that, but 'just because'? There's not enough time in the day for that.

regular_smile.gif
muirford said:
Not that there aren't some who will say yes or those who will ask for more than you offer - like the couple who asked me to change the sheets on the second night of their two-night stay. 99% of your guests don't want to be a hassle for you.
What's the deal with those people anyway? We don't seem to get that sort of crowd but friends do...'You ARE going to change the sheets everyday, aren't you?' And you wonder why that would be necessary.
Certainly if there is a problem, we will do that, but 'just because'? There's not enough time in the day for that.
Yeah, I still don't know what her problem was. Only time in 6 1/2 years I've been asked to do that. I did ask if there was some problem with the sheets (rips, stains) that were already on the bed. She asked if we changed them every day, and when I said we don't, she said 'it would be nice if you did'. I clarified - so you would like me to change the sheets today? and she said yes. I asked a few minutes later if there was some problem with the sheets and the answer was no. That was a walking-around-and-shaking-my-head kind of day.

We offer turn-down service letting the guest know at check in - if they are checking in late, we will go ahead and do the turndown ahead of time for them. We let them know that we straighten their rooms in the morning after they leave and if they don't want either service, we ask that they place their do not disturb sign on the door. We don't put choc on the pillow - I have visions of it getting missed and then leaving a melted mess, but we have small swans that we put a chocolate in by their bed. 2 of the rooms have the sound therapy radios which we turn on for their turn down too.

Kind of like NW, we don't offer a turn down and have not found it needed. Our B&B association applies the every third day rule and we stick to that.
We have a little tray by the bed with upscale chocolates and asian snacks.
They would much rather have us spend time with them over a glass of wine then have us turning their bed down. In some ways, that evening attention they get is very similar, just in a different form.

Kind of like NW, we don't offer a turn down and have not found it needed. Our B&B association applies the every third day rule and we stick to that.
They would much rather have us spend time with them over a glass of wine then have us turning their bed down. In some ways, that evening attention they get is very similar, just in a different form..
knkbnb said:
Our B&B association applies the every third day rule and we stick to that.
What is a third day rule?

They would much rather have us spend time with them over a glass of wine then have us turning their bed down. In some ways, that evening attention they get is very similar, just in a different form..
knkbnb said:
They would much rather have us spend time with them over a glass of wine then have us turning their bed down. In some ways, that evening attention they get is very similar, just in a different form.
That is a diff kind of evening turn down - "Uh, sorry I am taken"
wink_smile.gif

knkbnb said:
Change sheets after the thrid night.

knkbnb said:
Change sheets after the thrid night.
Thanks, GH. :)

Back