Ever have people eat off the serving plates?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

TheBeachHouse

Reaction score
I hadn’t. Until this year. We have a small household type warmer tray with three sections. One section eggs, one potatoes and one meat. In front of each section is a small plate with a spoon, fork or tongs on it to use to serve yourself.
this year, I’ve had two separate men take the spoon rest plate and fill it with their food. Wtf? Have they never seen a buffet?
shaking my head and face palming. And, yes, swearing a bit.

Last edited:

gillumhouse

Staff member
Reaction score
I was putting a small plate under the sherbet goblet for fruit - until people were not moving that plate when they removed the goblet to dish out their breakfast from the serving dishes. Fortunately, I saw it before the food hit that tiny plate sitting in the middle of their plate for food (had some in the past that moved their entire plate to eat from the charger!).

Generic

Reaction score
I replaced the sugar bowl spoon with an intentionally short spoon so that guests wouldn't mistake it for their real spoon. Sometimes they would put it in their coffee... but I was never sure if someone might have licked it and put it back... UGH!

gillumhouse

Staff member
Reaction score
I replaced the sugar bowl spoon with an intentionally short spoon so that guests wouldn't mistake it for their real spoon. Sometimes they would put it in their coffee... but I was never sure if someone might have licked it and put it back... UGH!

I hate when they stir their coffee with the sugar shell and then put it back in the sugar bowl! I give them 2 teaspoons!

GoodScout

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hate when they stir their coffee with the sugar shell and then put it back in the sugar bowl! I give them 2 teaspoons!
Ditto on the sugar spoon stories.

And if I had a dollar for every time a guest went and put food from the sideboards on their charger, I'd be retired by now.

Generic

Reaction score
Short teaspoon. Too uncomfortable to use for coffee or tea :) Normal size teaspoon size but very very short, so you can take sugar, but don't want to stir with it.

TheBeachHouse

Reaction score
I often see people pick up food from the buffet with their hands. Honestly.

Tamelon

Reaction score
I once had a guy take an enormous bowl of yogurt (meant to serve 8 or so) as his personal dish. But we serve breakfast, no buffet, so it alleviates this issue.