Ever just feel like breaking down and crying?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How about creating a welcome area (porch, outdoor gazebo, sitting room or similar) for those early guests to hang out in while they wait for inn to open. Leave out booklets (with your hours of operation lol), nearby dining, shopping, tourist suggestions. This will give a welcome feel to initial impression of your property and perhaps they'll venture out, amuse themselves a while per: suggestions.
From a guest's POV, sometimes we've a wicked time running from work, packing, closing up house, taking care of pets etc. and are frazzled even before we set out. Then there's the long distance traveling and a journey that is aggravating, traffic unpredicatable and we are just so happy to get to our destination. Now, if there's a little porch-y thing available, (a couple chaise lounges to fall asleep on) that would be great.
Or hire a part time person just to meet and greet for a few hours and pitch in with cleaning rooms. Will take a little stress off you. Might be worth it.
thumbs_up.gif

In any business, without those bothersome guests, customers, there'd be no business..
From a guest's POV, sometimes we've a wicked time running from work, packing, closing up house, taking care of pets etc. and are frazzled even before we set out. Then there's the long distance traveling and a journey that is aggravating, traffic unpredicatable and we are just so happy to get to our destination
Here is my take on your stress level. Why not hire or give a job to your partner. To make your travel less stressful. Let him or her pack all the cloths that is needed. Take the pet and get it ready to drop off to a friend or family member or a pet kennel. Then it is not only you getting ready.
Now comes the journey. When doing a long journey why not break it up so it is not so long. At the most we are only in a car for 4 hours then we stop and smell the roses. Relax and look and see what is around us and enjoy our break. So when we get to our destination we are not stress or rushing our host to have a room ready before our schedule time.
Or not call your host as you are late and now leave your host wondering if they are going to be able to get a wee bit of time to put up their feet and relax before retiring for the night or doing a wee bit of prep for breakfast so your host is not so rushed in the morning.Before retiring for the night. We all have things to do morning till night.
Now comes the big crunch even hotels and motel not always let you in early as they are busy cleaning their rooms also. Yes there is a lobby far removed from the main area so you are not in the way of those that are leaving with far to many suite cases.
Remember part of a holiday is planning one that is not to far away so you are not feeling the pressure to get to your destination in a rush. It is time to take time and slow it down.
Tina it just another side of the story not picking on you as such . Just wished more people would just plan a head so they are not in such a hurry and come to us when it is their appointed time.
If we're running late, we call our hosts and tell them so. Never arrived early as we realize there is check in time we agreed to. In fact, one B&B we booked at had us wait outside in hot FL sun even when host said he'd be there at specific time to check us in; when we got there, nada. No note, nothing. His wife was very apologetic. Then it was to be a no-smoking property only to find the revelers who had our room the nights before, smoke like fiends and the room reeked of smoke. There I was getting over bronchitis. Did we complain, "sue" them? No. Not all guests are PITA's.
Not necessarily you, but sometimes guests also have to put up with stuff. Not picking on you either but in any relationship (and it is a relationship) there is a give and take.
TinaC said:
Not necessarily you, but sometimes guests also have to put up with stuff. Not picking on you either but in any relationship (and it is a relationship) there is a give and take.
We had guests the other day who said, 'You know how you talk about your bad guests? We talk about bad innkeepers.'
They were at a B&B where they could not bring the 'early morning coffee' into the dining room for breakfast. Huh? What? The reason? The early morning coffee mugs did not match the breakfast service and it would make the 'whole breakfast look wrong'.

Today, within hours, I received several reservations to knock out the two only possible days I could have to myself till the end of the month. Next target date: October 16th. WWWWAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
cry_smile.gif

Today, within hours, I received several reservations to knock out the two only possible days I could have to myself till the end of the month. Next target date: October 16th. WWWWAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
cry_smile.gif
We had a day like that a couple of weeks ago. Day sat empty forever. Then I got 5 rooms for a total of 9 room nights in the course of a few hours. That put us over the top for the best August ever and then we took 5 days off.

How about creating a welcome area (porch, outdoor gazebo, sitting room or similar) for those early guests to hang out in while they wait for inn to open. Leave out booklets (with your hours of operation lol), nearby dining, shopping, tourist suggestions. This will give a welcome feel to initial impression of your property and perhaps they'll venture out, amuse themselves a while per: suggestions.
From a guest's POV, sometimes we've a wicked time running from work, packing, closing up house, taking care of pets etc. and are frazzled even before we set out. Then there's the long distance traveling and a journey that is aggravating, traffic unpredicatable and we are just so happy to get to our destination. Now, if there's a little porch-y thing available, (a couple chaise lounges to fall asleep on) that would be great.
Or hire a part time person just to meet and greet for a few hours and pitch in with cleaning rooms. Will take a little stress off you. Might be worth it.
thumbs_up.gif

In any business, without those bothersome guests, customers, there'd be no business..
From a guest's POV, sometimes we've a wicked time running from work, packing, closing up house, taking care of pets etc. and are frazzled even before we set out. Then there's the long distance traveling and a journey that is aggravating, traffic unpredicatable and we are just so happy to get to our destination
Here is my take on your stress level. Why not hire or give a job to your partner. To make your travel less stressful. Let him or her pack all the cloths that is needed. Take the pet and get it ready to drop off to a friend or family member or a pet kennel. Then it is not only you getting ready.
Now comes the journey. When doing a long journey why not break it up so it is not so long. At the most we are only in a car for 4 hours then we stop and smell the roses. Relax and look and see what is around us and enjoy our break. So when we get to our destination we are not stress or rushing our host to have a room ready before our schedule time.
Or not call your host as you are late and now leave your host wondering if they are going to be able to get a wee bit of time to put up their feet and relax before retiring for the night or doing a wee bit of prep for breakfast so your host is not so rushed in the morning.Before retiring for the night. We all have things to do morning till night.
Now comes the big crunch even hotels and motel not always let you in early as they are busy cleaning their rooms also. Yes there is a lobby far removed from the main area so you are not in the way of those that are leaving with far to many suite cases.
Remember part of a holiday is planning one that is not to far away so you are not feeling the pressure to get to your destination in a rush. It is time to take time and slow it down.
Tina it just another side of the story not picking on you as such . Just wished more people would just plan a head so they are not in such a hurry and come to us when it is their appointed time.
If we're running late, we call our hosts and tell them so. Never arrived early as we realize there is check in time we agreed to. In fact, one B&B we booked at had us wait outside in hot FL sun even when host said he'd be there at specific time to check us in; when we got there, nada. No note, nothing. His wife was very apologetic. Then it was to be a no-smoking property only to find the revelers who had our room the nights before, smoke like fiends and the room reeked of smoke. There I was getting over bronchitis. Did we complain, "sue" them? No. Not all guests are PITA's.
How awful ! for you .Really. I am sorry you had to experience that. I guess there is always a reason for every thing. And every thing in it's own time. Just some times life catches you off guard and nobody likes that at any time. On either side of the fence. So I guess it takes tolerance on both sides of the coin.
I am a rather arrive early person. Hate to be late ever! But never go to B&B early I like to explore where I am first.
Our time to unwind from the drive if it was a bad traffic. Need time to smile and be pleasant to our hosts . My first thing after getting out of the car Is coffee so we stop and look for coffee shop. Awww then it is enjoyed like no other time {well maybe in the morning too}. Pure gold I say . Then when finished and the correct time it is off to hosts house and ready to meet the world. Life always looks better after a cuppa .
wink_smile.gif

So, what DO you consider a 'day off'? I say it's when I actually have two days in a row without guests. Like today, for example, I just did the last of the check-outs, and everyone is gone. No guests tonight, but I still had to serve breakfast this morning, clean that up, clean rooms, do laundry and such. Then be all ready for guests checking in tomorrow. So, NOT a day off. DH does not agree.

So, what DO you consider a 'day off'? I say it's when I actually have two days in a row without guests. Like today, for example, I just did the last of the check-outs, and everyone is gone. No guests tonight, but I still had to serve breakfast this morning, clean that up, clean rooms, do laundry and such. Then be all ready for guests checking in tomorrow. So, NOT a day off. DH does not agree..
Aussie Innkeeper said:
So, what DO you consider a 'day off'? I say it's when I actually have two days in a row without guests. Like today, for example, I just did the last of the check-outs, and everyone is gone. No guests tonight, but I still had to serve breakfast this morning, clean that up, clean rooms, do laundry and such. Then be all ready for guests checking in tomorrow. So, NOT a day off. DH does not agree.
I'm with you - it has to be 2 days in a row for all the reasons you mention. And even at that it still is not 'time off' unless you leave the inn and go away.
Otherwise you go and do all the office and laundry tasks!

So, what DO you consider a 'day off'? I say it's when I actually have two days in a row without guests. Like today, for example, I just did the last of the check-outs, and everyone is gone. No guests tonight, but I still had to serve breakfast this morning, clean that up, clean rooms, do laundry and such. Then be all ready for guests checking in tomorrow. So, NOT a day off. DH does not agree..
Aussie Innkeeper said:
I'm with you - it has to be 2 days in a row for all the reasons you mention. And even at that it still is not 'time off' unless you leave the inn and go away.
Madeleine said:
Aussie Innkeeper said:
AGREED! 2 days of no guests equal a day off.

Aussie Innkeeper said:
Madeleine said:
Aussie Innkeeper said:
AGREED! 2 days of no guests equal a day off.
Absolutely.
thumbs_up.gif

Thanks! It's nice to know someone has my back.
No guests last night, but 3 check-ins today and I've got to get to the grocery store, wait for the coffee guy and go to the bank and the post office. This is NOT a day off!!
Last night, had a call for a room. NOPE, sorry.

thumbs_up.gif

How awful ! for you .Really. I am sorry you had to experience that. I guess there is always a reason for every thing. And every thing in it's own time. Just some times life catches you off guard and nobody likes that at any time. On either side of the fence. So I guess it takes tolerance on both sides of the coin.
I am a rather arrive early person. Hate to be late ever! But never go to B&B early I like to explore where I am first.
Our time to unwind from the drive if it was a bad traffic. Need time to smile and be pleasant to our hosts . My first thing after getting out of the car Is coffee so we stop and look for coffee shop. Awww then it is enjoyed like no other time {well maybe in the morning too}. Pure gold I say . Then when finished and the correct time it is off to hosts house and ready to meet the world. Life always looks better after a cuppa .
wink_smile.gif

Coffee, definitely, Flower.
thumbs_up.gif

Yeah, sometimes. Someone who shall remain nameless was about to tell a guest that they could have a late checkout. I'm behind the door out of sight of the guest and they get a glare from me.... and realizes that their life is at danger if they says yes.
Have you tried changing your sign to something like:
Rooms are ready only at 3PM.
Early check-in is available for $50.
Please ring bell for $50 early check-in.
(At least this way, you have the money to go out for dinner)
The Wicked Witch of the West is on duty until 2:59PM, ring at your own risk.
Cheerful innkeeper available from 3PM on.
We are at the supermarket and will be back at 3PM.
In case of emergency, please find us at the supermarket.
We are at the locksmith getting keys for the door made.
We will be back at 3PM.

Rooms are ready at 3PM. Answering the door will delay out ability to have the room ready on time for everyone.
Try a number of signs and see what works. A little humour doesn't hurt. And neither does something suggesting that there is an early check-in fee. This way they understand that they might have to pay to check-in early. Then again, sometimes when the room is ready it's nice to get it out of the way. But sometimes I just answer the door, say that the room isn't normally ready until 3PM, but you can leave your luggage if you want, but then the room won't be ready until at least 3:15PM. Luggage must be left in unsecured public areas because the room must be clear for housekeeping to work efficiently..
This is the second iteration of the sign. The first one was breezy and welcoming saying we were getting things ready for 3 PM check-in, see you then, blah blah blah.
I would say that 75% of the people who I saw go to the door and look at that sign proceeded to ring the bell. Including a family that arrived in four cars and EACH car group rang the bell. Even tho they were all standing in the dirveway talking to each other every one of them had to try the bell.
I've had better luck with what we are calling our 'unwelcome' sign. This person today just thinks who he is. He is a boundary pusher, an instigator, a troll. Won't be surprised to find him in the kitchen.
When shown to his room, he pointed to the hallway bathroom (only for one room) and started saying, 'You told me you didn't have a public bathroom, what do you call that? That's a public bathroom!!!'
DH had to explain, then he went, got the key and locked the door. I hope the guests in the room with the hall bath took our advice and locked it up again after they arrived.
I would actually put a sign on the hallway bathroom that read "Private" (not employees only, of course.)
But a sign saying that early check-in is $50 would likely be enough. Maybe a sign that says:
$50 (in 72 point lettering)
early check-in is available!
Please ring the bell to accept our $50 early check-in fee, no exceptions
Otherwise we will be every so thrilled to see you back after after 3 PM when regular check-in starts.
The bigger the amount, the more attention that it will get. Or print a copy of a $50 bill to get their attention. They will certainly look at a $50 bill attached to the door :)
Sign on bathroom door does say 'Private' it means nothing.
Even for $50 I cannot answer the door in August. Not if it means dealing with actual guests. Who want my time, want me to chat, tell them where to go, etc.
Not when the laundry is piling up and rooms aren't cleaned and I am run ragged.
So, I ignore the doorbell. But phone calls I answer. So glad all the windows were closed when I answered the phone. As it was I walked into my kitchen to be as far away from the front door as I could be.
I felt that a lot of times already. That’s why as much as possible, I don’t want to be sad anymore. What I do when I am sad and I want to avoid it is I usually read stories and write a uk best essays review in https://www.ukbestessay.net/ because it is an activity that takes my sadness away. We should never allow ourselves to be sad for the choice is within ourselves! Always choose happiness no matter what.

Back