Ever just feel like breaking down and crying?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, sometimes. Someone who shall remain nameless was about to tell a guest that they could have a late checkout. I'm behind the door out of sight of the guest and they get a glare from me.... and realizes that their life is at danger if they says yes.
Have you tried changing your sign to something like:
Rooms are ready only at 3PM.
Early check-in is available for $50.
Please ring bell for $50 early check-in.
(At least this way, you have the money to go out for dinner)
The Wicked Witch of the West is on duty until 2:59PM, ring at your own risk.
Cheerful innkeeper available from 3PM on.
We are at the supermarket and will be back at 3PM.
In case of emergency, please find us at the supermarket.
We are at the locksmith getting keys for the door made.
We will be back at 3PM.

Rooms are ready at 3PM. Answering the door will delay out ability to have the room ready on time for everyone.
Try a number of signs and see what works. A little humour doesn't hurt. And neither does something suggesting that there is an early check-in fee. This way they understand that they might have to pay to check-in early. Then again, sometimes when the room is ready it's nice to get it out of the way. But sometimes I just answer the door, say that the room isn't normally ready until 3PM, but you can leave your luggage if you want, but then the room won't be ready until at least 3:15PM. Luggage must be left in unsecured public areas because the room must be clear for housekeeping to work efficiently..
This is the second iteration of the sign. The first one was breezy and welcoming saying we were getting things ready for 3 PM check-in, see you then, blah blah blah.
I would say that 75% of the people who I saw go to the door and look at that sign proceeded to ring the bell. Including a family that arrived in four cars and EACH car group rang the bell. Even tho they were all standing in the dirveway talking to each other every one of them had to try the bell.
I've had better luck with what we are calling our 'unwelcome' sign. This person today just thinks who he is. He is a boundary pusher, an instigator, a troll. Won't be surprised to find him in the kitchen.
When shown to his room, he pointed to the hallway bathroom (only for one room) and started saying, 'You told me you didn't have a public bathroom, what do you call that? That's a public bathroom!!!'
DH had to explain, then he went, got the key and locked the door. I hope the guests in the room with the hall bath took our advice and locked it up again after they arrived.
I would actually put a sign on the hallway bathroom that read "Private" (not employees only, of course.)
But a sign saying that early check-in is $50 would likely be enough. Maybe a sign that says:
$50 (in 72 point lettering)
early check-in is available!
Please ring the bell to accept our $50 early check-in fee, no exceptions
Otherwise we will be every so thrilled to see you back after after 3 PM when regular check-in starts.
The bigger the amount, the more attention that it will get. Or print a copy of a $50 bill to get their attention. They will certainly look at a $50 bill attached to the door :)
Sign on bathroom door does say 'Private' it means nothing.
Even for $50 I cannot answer the door in August. Not if it means dealing with actual guests. Who want my time, want me to chat, tell them where to go, etc.
Not when the laundry is piling up and rooms aren't cleaned and I am run ragged.
So, I ignore the doorbell. But phone calls I answer. So glad all the windows were closed when I answered the phone. As it was I walked into my kitchen to be as far away from the front door as I could be.
I'm pretty sure that if ringing the bell means that they will have to pay $50, they will let it go. Or just put a sign that says "Back at 3PM, we are at the hospital, call if you have a real emergency." If they ask why you were at the hospital, say visiting a friend. Their mind will naturally go to think something happened to you and won't call, thinking it's an emergency.
Maddy, for the sake of your sanity, pick up the phone and call a cleaning service and have them in one day, if just to help with the turn-overs. Get a few hours, have one of you take a few hours off.
Or if you have to, go to craigslist and hire a student to help for $5 an hour, cash. Even if it's just for some extra labour that you can order around to do things, like collect the laundry, sweep the floor, etc.
Sanity is a lot more important.
But I do understand the feeling, late August seems to bring the worst out in visitors.

Yeah, sometimes. Someone who shall remain nameless was about to tell a guest that they could have a late checkout. I'm behind the door out of sight of the guest and they get a glare from me.... and realizes that their life is at danger if they says yes.
We will be back at 3PM.

Rooms are ready at 3PM. Answering the door will delay out ability to have the room ready on time for everyone.
Try a number of signs and see what works. A little humour doesn't hurt. And neither does something suggesting that there is an early check-in fee. This way they understand that they might have to pay to check-in early. Then again, sometimes when the room is ready it's nice to get it out of the way. But sometimes I just answer the door, say that the room isn't normally ready until 3PM, but you can leave your luggage if you want, but then the room won't be ready until at least 3:15PM. Luggage must be left in unsecured public areas because the room must be clear for housekeeping to work efficiently..
This is the second iteration of the sign. The first one was breezy and welcoming saying we were getting things ready for 3 PM check-in, see you then, blah blah blah.
I would say that 75% of the people who I saw go to the door and look at that sign proceeded to ring the bell. Including a family that arrived in four cars and EACH car group rang the bell. Even tho they were all standing in the dirveway talking to each other every one of them had to try the bell.
I've had better luck with what we are calling our 'unwelcome' sign. This person today just thinks who he is. He is a boundary pusher, an instigator, a troll. Won't be surprised to find him in the kitchen.
When shown to his room, he pointed to the hallway bathroom (only for one room) and started saying, 'You told me you didn't have a public bathroom, what do you call that? That's a public bathroom!!!'
DH had to explain, then he went, got the key and locked the door. I hope the guests in the room with the hall bath took our advice and locked it up again after they arrived.
I would actually put a sign on the hallway bathroom that read "Private" (not employees only, of course.)
But a sign saying that early check-in is $50 would likely be enough. Maybe a sign that says:
Otherwise we will be every so thrilled to see you back after after 3 PM when regular check-in starts.
The bigger the amount, the more attention that it will get. Or print a copy of a $50 bill to get their attention. They will certainly look at a $50 bill attached to the door :)
Even for $50 I cannot answer the door in August. Not if it means dealing with actual guests. Who want my time, want me to chat, tell them where to go, etc.
So, I ignore the doorbell. But phone calls I answer. So glad all the windows were closed when I answered the phone. As it was I walked into my kitchen to be as far away from the front door as I could be.
We ha this same problem several years ago. We started an early check in fee. I usually have one a day. Simi just clean that first. It starts at 1pm. When money is in play it's amazing how on time they are. I have other guess that sit in the parking lot for 45 min waiting until our normal 4 o'clock check in. They just sit in the car and wait. Sometimes if I'm not busy I will go and ask them if I can help them. They say " We are early and jus waiting for our 4 o'clock check in." I them tell them "your room is all ready to go. I can check you in!" they then reply by saying "We didn't book the early check in!" I then tell them "No problem, I won't charge you!" they act so excited and feel they are getting in on something really big. It's kinda funny! Anyway, you might try it. The fees paid for our vacation last year.
Seriously. I CANNOT answer the door at 1 PM because the rooms are NOT cleaned and I am NOT pleasant. And how do I clean that early room first when those guests dawdle and don't leave??? I still have FIVE HOURS of work ahead of me at 1 PM and I have to sit down at some point with NO ONE in the house, NO ONE wanting my attention.
It's my personality. I NEED free time.
I'm glad this works for you. You're making buckets of money. I just cannot do it.

We will be back at 3PM.

We ha this same problem several years ago. We started an early check in fee. I usually have one a day. Simi just clean that first. It starts at 1pm. When money is in play it's amazing how on time they are. I have other guess that sit in the parking lot for 45 min waiting until our normal 4 o'clock check in. They just sit in the car and wait. Sometimes if I'm not busy I will go and ask them if I can help them. They say " We are early and jus waiting for our 4 o'clock check in." I them tell them "your room is all ready to go. I can check you in!" they then reply by saying "We didn't book the early check in!" I then tell them "No problem, I won't charge you!" they act so excited and feel they are getting in on something really big. It's kinda funny! Anyway, you might try it. The fees paid for our vacation last year.
Seriously. I CANNOT answer the door at 1 PM because the rooms are NOT cleaned and I am NOT pleasant. And how do I clean that early room first when those guests dawdle and don't leave??? I still have FIVE HOURS of work ahead of me at 1 PM and I have to sit down at some point with NO ONE in the house, NO ONE wanting my attention.
I'm glad this works for you. You're making buckets of money. I just cannot do it.
Stand your ground! Keep that door locked and don't answer the phone. Don't look out the windows. Just do your thing.
In your confirmation...make it bold and RED...we cannot accept early checkins for any reason. We need the time to clean and prepare rooms for your stay. Do not phone or ring our door bell. We will not answer. And put something like that on the front door as well. If it takes a poster size sign...DO IT!
You need to keep your sanity.

I'm sorry Maddie, it does get better as we know. It's just difficult when we are in the thick of it.... Hang in there.

We will be back at 3PM.

Maddy, you need to stand the line on the check-out time of 11AM as well. Put a sign on the door, check-out time is 11AM. Put it on the reservation. Put it on the confirmation. Put it on the back of the door. Remind them at breakfast that the check-out needs to be done by 11AM or the software automatically charges them for a stay-over. Something, anything... LIE! Yes, lie. We all know that guests will lie to get thing, so do the same thing, you have to be out by 11AM because you have to visit your sick mother at the home and they only allow visits until 12PM, you don't want me to miss seeing my mother, do you? Flop the guilt back their way.

We will be back at 3PM.

do you have the link to that post about Lincoln? the things in his life? was trying to find it to read to DH - to make a point about if you have it bad there is always someone worse off - im pooped right now but it will calm down later and then I will complain about that as well!

{{{hugs}}} I feel you stress echoing through your words. Take those 4 days and rest.
I know how difficult it is to think through a solution to a stressful situation while you are in one. Talk with DH and promise to discuss this in detail during your off season. Have a good back up plan for if your housekeeper doesn't work out. So you will not feel this stress again next August.

We will be back at 3PM.

Maddy, you need to stand the line on the check-out time of 11AM as well. Put a sign on the door, check-out time is 11AM. Put it on the reservation. Put it on the confirmation. Put it on the back of the door. Remind them at breakfast that the check-out needs to be done by 11AM or the software automatically charges them for a stay-over. Something, anything... LIE! Yes, lie. We all know that guests will lie to get thing, so do the same thing, you have to be out by 11AM because you have to visit your sick mother at the home and they only allow visits until 12PM, you don't want me to miss seeing my mother, do you? Flop the guilt back their way.
We've been ok this month with check outs adhering to the proper time. But, we'll have 4 rooms check out AT 11. Which means I am bouncing around from trying to clean to making sure we got the keys and we said goodbye.
But, this only lasts until this weekend. Then the mad rush is over and we go back to easy days. 5 rooms at the most except for weekends. The next 3 weeks are basically dead except for weekends.
So I just have to talk myself thru this weekend...

We will be back at 3PM.

We've been ok this month with check outs adhering to the proper time. But, we'll have 4 rooms check out AT 11. Which means I am bouncing around from trying to clean to making sure we got the keys and we said goodbye.
But, this only lasts until this weekend. Then the mad rush is over and we go back to easy days. 5 rooms at the most except for weekends. The next 3 weeks are basically dead except for weekends.
I've had a spate of guests that I'm not particularly fond of, lately. It seems to be the end of August doldrums. The guests that announce they are GF at the door (enjoy the frozen foods!) The guests that want to push boundaries, etc. But they are temporary. After the big weekend we slow down and we have different guests. I don't get that many of the AKs because of my stairs. Hopefully the idiots who don't book ahead and think they can find a great room at a cheap price will be done with as the long weekend is over. I'm already within 24 room nights of my normal September. But we didn't block out two days for ourselves after the long weekend this year.... but then just 77 days to go... just 77 days to go... just 77 days to go.
Incidentally, sometimes it just makes all the difference to get out of the house, even if it's just for 30 minutes.

We will be back at 3PM.

Maddie, I am not poo-pooing your stress level as it is VERY real. I truly understand it because I LIVE with it. At least yours will end in August. Mine is a person who has difficulty accepting that as we age our bodies do too and to see men in their 80s skipping along as he struggles to get to the bathroom (and in a public bathroom without having his crutch tip slide across the wet floor) as he has overcome every difficulty in the past. It ain't gonna happen. So if I ever sound callous in a response, please forgive me as it was probably another "bad" day here for him . I do not like living with "drama". Guests in-house give me a smooth day and night as that is time to show what a great person lives here (as in every house, there are two sides of that front door). Frustration turns some people into SOBs (at times - not always or I WOULD look for the oven) and everyone else has to live with it. I am thankful for you that yours is temporary - although that does not make it any easier for you. Just know I do understand and empathize.

We will be back at 3PM.

Oh my goodness, thinking of you Madeleine. Hugs from us two too. .
We had last night off and it was the first lay in we've had since 2nd July. It was only 1 night but it made such a difference. I can tell when DH has had enough because he stops the casual chat at breakfast with people, and I don't even think he realizes that he does it.
Eric is right, lie to people. I frequently do this, especially if they turn up early, I tell them the rooms aren't ready even though they are. I even leave the hoover outside the cupboard so they can see it behind me, even though I've finished the cleaning. I just need some time in the afternoon.
I think I'm going to be stressed out this week because DH is away for 4 days to see his sister whose quite sick, so I'm on my own. 1 day is a full house, the other nights is 2 rooms out of 3. The work I think I can cope with, breakfast on my own is going to be a challenge, but I'll miss having someone else there to back me up in case of problems.

YES! When the days when I felt that way outnumbered the good days, I knew I had to close the business. Just couldn't do it on my own anymore...
But, I know it's not exactly the same for you.
Just recently read this article and it explained a lot about myself to me - how I'm really an introvert (when I always thought I was an extrovert!). I need some time to myself every day.
I'm now so over this city and constantly trying to get city officials to do the right thing by our neighborhood, that I feel like crying every day. It's a different form of feeling trapped.
All I can say is to make the most of the few "free"days that you have and cherish time with those that you care about. ((((((hugs)))))

I feel your pain...been there many times myself. It really kills me to block out days in high season, but I have learned that it is essential to have some down-time if we are going to continue to be innkeepers. So this week we were "guest-free" for 3 nights...sigh. Full house tonight, through Labor Day weekend, but at least I'm not so worn out and bi**chy that I can't make it through with a smile.
Hang on! Soon you'll have some time to yourself.
broken_heart.gif
Yes, we feel your pain, too and I concur that it is necessary to block out some time for yourself. We just blocked out four days last week after the Labor Day weekend and just chilled! The height of the high season is when all the very real stresses of constantly interacting and waiting on people especially if you live in your B&B - begins to exact its toll! Nobody can wait on people in their own space 24/7/360 without a break! Innkeepers are a kind of care-giver and we all too often forget to care for ourselves!! It's easier with two people on the job - I'll say to my husband, "I'm out of Customer Service, it's YOUR turn!" And bless 'im, he does the same. So, block out 2 or 3 days, run that bath, light those candles, pour that wine and meditate that life is Good.

I feel your pain...been there many times myself. It really kills me to block out days in high season, but I have learned that it is essential to have some down-time if we are going to continue to be innkeepers. So this week we were "guest-free" for 3 nights...sigh. Full house tonight, through Labor Day weekend, but at least I'm not so worn out and bi**chy that I can't make it through with a smile.
Hang on! Soon you'll have some time to yourself.
broken_heart.gif
Yes, we feel your pain, too and I concur that it is necessary to block out some time for yourself. We just blocked out four days last week after the Labor Day weekend and just chilled! The height of the high season is when all the very real stresses of constantly interacting and waiting on people especially if you live in your B&B - begins to exact its toll! Nobody can wait on people in their own space 24/7/360 without a break! Innkeepers are a kind of care-giver and we all too often forget to care for ourselves!! It's easier with two people on the job - I'll say to my husband, "I'm out of Customer Service, it's YOUR turn!" And bless 'im, he does the same. So, block out 2 or 3 days, run that bath, light those candles, pour that wine and meditate that life is Good.
innerpeace said:
I'll say to my husband, "I'm out of Customer Service, it's YOUR turn!"
Exactly! The tough part is when we both say that at the same time!

I know exactly how you feel. I've got 5 rooms and I do them all myself. I'm also the chef, laundress, bottle-washer, marketing manager and decorator. I just realized that my last day off was sometime the 2nd week of July. If anyone is counting, that's almost 8 weeks. Aug - Oct are our really busy months here. I do know that I'll get a day off in November because I've marked it out to attend our state B&B conference. Does that count?

I know exactly how you feel. I've got 5 rooms and I do them all myself. I'm also the chef, laundress, bottle-washer, marketing manager and decorator. I just realized that my last day off was sometime the 2nd week of July. If anyone is counting, that's almost 8 weeks. Aug - Oct are our really busy months here. I do know that I'll get a day off in November because I've marked it out to attend our state B&B conference. Does that count?.
Aussie Innkeeper said:
I do know that I'll get a day off in November because I've marked it out to attend our state B&B conference. Does that count?
No

It sounds like some of you should consider getting out of the business.
If you're not happy and stressed most of the time, you should consider another way to make a living or modify the way you do things so that you're not stressed. Are you creating your own problems by how you do things or do carry a PITA curse?
Life is to short to be as miserable as what some are indicating you are. If it's no longer bringing you joy, then do something else.
DW and I have had this discussion. If this starts becoming a strain on our physical or mental health or our marriage, We'll modify how we operate or just stop. It's not worth it.

If you're not happy and stressed most of the time, you should consider another way to make a living or modify the way you do things so that you're not stressed. Are you creating your own problems by how you do things or do carry a PITA curse?
Life is to short to be as miserable as what some are indicating you are. If it's no longer bringing you joy, then do something else.
DW and I have had this discussion. If this starts becoming a strain on our physical or mental health or our marriage, We'll modify how we operate or just stop. It's not worth it..
Geez Louise PT. Did you NEVER work in a job that had some stress? Was every job a walk in the park or you quit because it was too hard?
Lighten up already.
Maybe someday you will get hit with a bad patch. That's what we're here for. SUPPORT.

DW and I have had this discussion. If this starts becoming a strain on our physical or mental health or our marriage, We'll modify how we operate or just stop. It's not worth it..
Geez Louise PT. Did you NEVER work in a job that had some stress? Was every job a walk in the park or you quit because it was too hard?
Lighten up already.
Maybe someday you will get hit with a bad patch. That's what we're here for. SUPPORT.
That's what I WAS doing, offering support.
You sound like you're about to slash your wrists sometimes. If you're so friggin miserable, why don't you change your situation?
I've had bad patches in my life. To get out of them I had to adapt or make major changes. If you do things the same way and get the same results, nothing will ever change.

Sorry PT, but I think you're really off base here. Having 2 rooms in retirement is far different than a lot of folks here who have many more rooms, more occupancy, live off the income and have different stresses.
Just because we want to scream or cry or whine how tired we are or vent about the PITAs in our busy season doesn't mean we hate what we're doing. Just sell it you say? Change your life if you don't like it? There are several here who have been trying to do that for years! Easier said than done.

Back