Ever just feel like breaking down and crying?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It sounds like some of you should consider getting out of the business.
If you're not happy and stressed most of the time, you should consider another way to make a living or modify the way you do things so that you're not stressed. Are you creating your own problems by how you do things or do carry a PITA curse?
Life is to short to be as miserable as what some are indicating you are. If it's no longer bringing you joy, then do something else.
DW and I have had this discussion. If this starts becoming a strain on our physical or mental health or our marriage, We'll modify how we operate or just stop. It's not worth it..
Sorry PT, but I think you're really off base here. Having 2 rooms in retirement is far different than a lot of folks here who have many more rooms, more occupancy, live off the income and have different stresses.
Just because we want to scream or cry or whine how tired we are or vent about the PITAs in our busy season doesn't mean we hate what we're doing. Just sell it you say? Change your life if you don't like it? There are several here who have been trying to do that for years! Easier said than done.
Maybe so. I'll shut up. I really did not mean to cause offense. I've been in some very dark places during my life, I'm honestly concerned for the well being of others seemingly heading in that direction.
I'm not saying to quit unless that's you're best option. I just know from life experience, if you don't like something, sometimes change becomes necessary. Sometimes that change is from the inside.

If you're not happy and stressed most of the time, you should consider another way to make a living or modify the way you do things so that you're not stressed. Are you creating your own problems by how you do things or do carry a PITA curse?
Life is to short to be as miserable as what some are indicating you are. If it's no longer bringing you joy, then do something else.
DW and I have had this discussion. If this starts becoming a strain on our physical or mental health or our marriage, We'll modify how we operate or just stop. It's not worth it..
Geez Louise PT. Did you NEVER work in a job that had some stress? Was every job a walk in the park or you quit because it was too hard?
Lighten up already.
Maybe someday you will get hit with a bad patch. That's what we're here for. SUPPORT.
My worst job was with a finance company which was insurance and savings plans -worked in the call centre dealing with correspondence - the rate of people off sick was cronic people just hated going into work, I was downsized and never looked back! id already been looking for a job and it got me back into hospitality and the job that 99% of the time I love. Ive been pretty lucky lately (she says jinxing it all) but weve been doing a lot of renovations, carpet changes etc before the next busy section and its physically knackered us + problems with the idiot tenants next door which keep waking us up at night - so the fact we are so physically tired means our fuse is a bit short.
Plus I have a pretty much photographic memory for when regulars come down for breakfast etc - but I forget that DH doesn't so I knew 10 people would be in the door for breakfast about 8am - he didn't have a clue - so we have made an agreement that when It comes to guests I have to work on the principle that he has no clue what is going on and plan accordingly!

Sorry PT, but I think you're really off base here. Having 2 rooms in retirement is far different than a lot of folks here who have many more rooms, more occupancy, live off the income and have different stresses.
Just because we want to scream or cry or whine how tired we are or vent about the PITAs in our busy season doesn't mean we hate what we're doing. Just sell it you say? Change your life if you don't like it? There are several here who have been trying to do that for years! Easier said than done.
Maybe so. I'll shut up. I really did not mean to cause offense. I've been in some very dark places during my life, I'm honestly concerned for the well being of others seemingly heading in that direction.
I'm not saying to quit unless that's you're best option. I just know from life experience, if you don't like something, sometimes change becomes necessary. Sometimes that change is from the inside.
Proud Texan said:
No need to shut up PT, we all come at this from a different place and circumstance. Sometimes just a little compassion is needed and I think that's what this thread was all about.
wink_smile.gif

Never shut up darling "we love you"!!!!
heart.gif

Geez Louise PT. Did you NEVER work in a job that had some stress? Was every job a walk in the park or you quit because it was too hard?
Lighten up already.
Maybe someday you will get hit with a bad patch. That's what we're here for. SUPPORT.
My worst job was with a finance company which was insurance and savings plans -worked in the call centre dealing with correspondence - the rate of people off sick was cronic people just hated going into work, I was downsized and never looked back! id already been looking for a job and it got me back into hospitality and the job that 99% of the time I love. Ive been pretty lucky lately (she says jinxing it all) but weve been doing a lot of renovations, carpet changes etc before the next busy section and its physically knackered us + problems with the idiot tenants next door which keep waking us up at night - so the fact we are so physically tired means our fuse is a bit short.
Plus I have a pretty much photographic memory for when regulars come down for breakfast etc - but I forget that DH doesn't so I knew 10 people would be in the door for breakfast about 8am - he didn't have a clue - so we have made an agreement that when It comes to guests I have to work on the principle that he has no clue what is going on and plan accordingly!
My worst job was frying donuts at a bakery. The boss askd me if I was preggers because I ralphed evey morning. It was the smell of the oil. Preggers did not happen for almost another 10 years

Proud Texan said:
No need to shut up PT, we all come at this from a different place and circumstance. Sometimes just a little compassion is needed and I think that's what this thread was all about.
wink_smile.gif

I am lucky as have B&B friends in my town many only 5 mins walk away who's door is always open for a coffee and a grump about the gorilla! It isn't easy when your family doesn't understand (I have a B&B family so they are cool but I appreciate many don't) and chums that do - I very much appreciate that I am spoilt - what if you are the only B&B in your town? struggling on your own? wondering if it is only you with these problems? that's what its all about - plus hopefully someone will say "yes I had fake tan on my sheets to - what you need to do is put on cheap shaving foam then a cool wash" and so on it just helps to know you aren't alone and its not only you.
Also I believe in having a bit of a stomp about or gym work out or power walk or something - just generally get out and about - its the being couped up in the house that makes it worce as well

How about creating a welcome area (porch, outdoor gazebo, sitting room or similar) for those early guests to hang out in while they wait for inn to open. Leave out booklets (with your hours of operation lol), nearby dining, shopping, tourist suggestions. This will give a welcome feel to initial impression of your property and perhaps they'll venture out, amuse themselves a while per: suggestions.
From a guest's POV, sometimes we've a wicked time running from work, packing, closing up house, taking care of pets etc. and are frazzled even before we set out. Then there's the long distance traveling and a journey that is aggravating, traffic unpredicatable and we are just so happy to get to our destination. Now, if there's a little porch-y thing available, (a couple chaise lounges to fall asleep on) that would be great.
Or hire a part time person just to meet and greet for a few hours and pitch in with cleaning rooms. Will take a little stress off you. Might be worth it.
thumbs_up.gif

In any business, without those bothersome guests, customers, there'd be no business.

How about creating a welcome area (porch, outdoor gazebo, sitting room or similar) for those early guests to hang out in while they wait for inn to open. Leave out booklets (with your hours of operation lol), nearby dining, shopping, tourist suggestions. This will give a welcome feel to initial impression of your property and perhaps they'll venture out, amuse themselves a while per: suggestions.
From a guest's POV, sometimes we've a wicked time running from work, packing, closing up house, taking care of pets etc. and are frazzled even before we set out. Then there's the long distance traveling and a journey that is aggravating, traffic unpredicatable and we are just so happy to get to our destination. Now, if there's a little porch-y thing available, (a couple chaise lounges to fall asleep on) that would be great.
Or hire a part time person just to meet and greet for a few hours and pitch in with cleaning rooms. Will take a little stress off you. Might be worth it.
thumbs_up.gif

In any business, without those bothersome guests, customers, there'd be no business..
TinaC said:
thumbs_up.gif

In any business, without those bothersome guests, customers, there'd be no business.
Tina, thank you for coming here and giving your POV. Yes, most of us have front porches or beautiful gardens with areas to relax and there are a few that would take the mention of that and make it work but most want IN, they do not want to sit outside. Meanwhile we are inside trying not to be visible while we are bringing down piles of dirty linens and such.
And hiring someone - believe me I wish I could at times. But if I hired someone it would be for them to clean and me to meet and greet!!! Why would I want to give the cushy job to the hired help? And trying to find help to work a couple hours here or there is impossible. We don't have to be at capacity to have early arrivals, it can happen at any time - and does.

thumbs_up.gif

In any business, without those bothersome guests, customers, there'd be no business..
You have clearly never been to the UK - it can be sunny and nice one minute and thrash it down the next
lrg_canopy%20006_0.jpg

this is what we are having made for our front as a replacement for the old style canopy we have now will look excellent!

thumbs_up.gif

You have clearly never been to the UK - it can be sunny and nice one minute and thrash it down the next
lrg_canopy%20006_0.jpg

this is what we are having made for our front as a replacement for the old style canopy we have now will look excellent!
As I said to guests yesterday morning "If you don't like the British weather just wait 15 minutes"

thumbs_up.gif

As CH said - they want IN. They want the bathroom - NOW. They want the room - NOW. I am here, I want my room and I do not care if it is 9 AM or 11 AM and check-in is at 3 PM. NOW!!
All the activities you describe to get ready to leave and then get to the destination are LATE arrival things rather than early. I DO understand all that as I used to travel with 4 or 5 kids + DH and guess who got to do the packing., load the vehicle, and take care of all details. I still get to do all that and more but that all makes for late departure (in the old days with kids I tried to leave at 4 AM so the animals would sleep for a few hundred miles).
And hiring someone extra is another kettle of fish. Wages + taxes + FICA + unemployment + regulations + hoping they will not say the wrong thing to the right people........
It sounds like a simple solution but for an innkeeper it is a no win. There goes profit or even "break-even" (with extra hire), last night's guest is still having breakfast or just getting ready to leave the room, and Mr. & Mrs. WANT-IT-NOW expect to walk in to the room they saw on the Internet, not the room vacated 2 minutes ago. My property is not large enough to gardens (only good on sunny days unless in the heat of summer and then no thank you) and that is why we hide from early arrivals.
PS: To those who say in the UK wait 15 minutes and the weather will change - here we say wait 5 minutes.

thumbs_up.gif

TinaC said:
thumbs_up.gif

We went thru 2 housekeepers this summer, walked off the job when we were running 100% occ. There was NO time to even put an ad online much less waste effort replying back to losers who just needed to tick a box on their unemployment form, try to schedule interviews and then train someone.
As for letting tired guests fall asleep in the living room or on the porch while other guests are trying to enjoy the last of their stay? Do they now feel rushed to vacate because these poor schlubs want a bathroom break, shower and a snooze? And trying to hustle out the entitled jerks who thought check-out was 'whenever we got our shit together' so we can actually let the next guests in really does take a toll.
Not to mention that they are showing up DURING breakfast. That's piss poor planning and not my problem.
However, the crazy season (August) is behind us. I am relaxed, getting out of the house again, going out for drives and to lunch with friends and I can be a gracious host once again. Check-in at 1? Not a problem.

thumbs_up.gif

lrg_canopy%20006_0.jpg

I need a canopy of any kind!

thumbs_up.gif

TinaC said:
thumbs_up.gif

Tina, we are not dumping on you, just explaining from an innkeeper view. The travelers DO think on the line you stated. Guests who arrive within the parameters are not bothersome guests - it is the few who think the rules do not apply to THEM who are bothersome. We want to be able to greet our guests as smiling hosts, not as rushed and frazzled worker bees. It is not the problem of the innkeeper if guests do not plan a relaxing trip. I have personally done the "marathon" travel due to time/distance constraints and it is not fun, but it is not the concern of the hotelier or innkeeper that I have the problem - their concern is that the room is there and ready at the appointed time as given on their web site and advertising materials.

thumbs_up.gif

From a guest's POV, sometimes we've a wicked time running from work, packing, closing up house, taking care of pets etc. and are frazzled even before we set out. Then there's the long distance traveling and a journey that is aggravating, traffic unpredicatable and we are just so happy to get to our destination
Here is my take on your stress level. Why not hire or give a job to your partner. To make your travel less stressful. Let him or her pack all the cloths that is needed. Take the pet and get it ready to drop off to a friend or family member or a pet kennel. Then it is not only you getting ready.
Now comes the journey. When doing a long journey why not break it up so it is not so long. At the most we are only in a car for 4 hours then we stop and smell the roses. Relax and look and see what is around us and enjoy our break. So when we get to our destination we are not stress or rushing our host to have a room ready before our schedule time.
Or not call your host as you are late and now leave your host wondering if they are going to be able to get a wee bit of time to put up their feet and relax before retiring for the night or doing a wee bit of prep for breakfast so your host is not so rushed in the morning.Before retiring for the night. We all have things to do morning till night.
Now comes the big crunch even hotels and motel not always let you in early as they are busy cleaning their rooms also. Yes there is a lobby far removed from the main area so you are not in the way of those that are leaving with far to many suite cases.
Remember part of a holiday is planning one that is not to far away so you are not feeling the pressure to get to your destination in a rush. It is time to take time and slow it down.
Tina it just another side of the story not picking on you as such . Just wished more people would just plan a head so they are not in such a hurry and come to us when it is their appointed time.

thumbs_up.gif

From a guest's POV, sometimes we've a wicked time running from work, packing, closing up house, taking care of pets etc. and are frazzled even before we set out. Then there's the long distance traveling and a journey that is aggravating, traffic unpredicatable and we are just so happy to get to our destination
Here is my take on your stress level. Why not hire or give a job to your partner. To make your travel less stressful. Let him or her pack all the cloths that is needed. Take the pet and get it ready to drop off to a friend or family member or a pet kennel. Then it is not only you getting ready.
Now comes the journey. When doing a long journey why not break it up so it is not so long. At the most we are only in a car for 4 hours then we stop and smell the roses. Relax and look and see what is around us and enjoy our break. So when we get to our destination we are not stress or rushing our host to have a room ready before our schedule time.
Or not call your host as you are late and now leave your host wondering if they are going to be able to get a wee bit of time to put up their feet and relax before retiring for the night or doing a wee bit of prep for breakfast so your host is not so rushed in the morning.Before retiring for the night. We all have things to do morning till night.
Now comes the big crunch even hotels and motel not always let you in early as they are busy cleaning their rooms also. Yes there is a lobby far removed from the main area so you are not in the way of those that are leaving with far to many suite cases.
Remember part of a holiday is planning one that is not to far away so you are not feeling the pressure to get to your destination in a rush. It is time to take time and slow it down.
Tina it just another side of the story not picking on you as such . Just wished more people would just plan a head so they are not in such a hurry and come to us when it is their appointed time.
If we're running late, we call our hosts and tell them so. Never arrived early as we realize there is check in time we agreed to. In fact, one B&B we booked at had us wait outside in hot FL sun even when host said he'd be there at specific time to check us in; when we got there, nada. No note, nothing. His wife was very apologetic. Then it was to be a no-smoking property only to find the revelers who had our room the nights before, smoke like fiends and the room reeked of smoke. There I was getting over bronchitis. Did we complain, "sue" them? No. Not all guests are PITA's.
Not necessarily you, but sometimes guests also have to put up with stuff. Not picking on you either but in any relationship (and it is a relationship) there is a give and take.

thumbs_up.gif

TinaC said:
thumbs_up.gif

Tina, we are not dumping on you, just explaining from an innkeeper view. The travelers DO think on the line you stated. Guests who arrive within the parameters are not bothersome guests - it is the few who think the rules do not apply to THEM who are bothersome. We want to be able to greet our guests as smiling hosts, not as rushed and frazzled worker bees. It is not the problem of the innkeeper if guests do not plan a relaxing trip. I have personally done the "marathon" travel due to time/distance constraints and it is not fun, but it is not the concern of the hotelier or innkeeper that I have the problem - their concern is that the room is there and ready at the appointed time as given on their web site and advertising materials.
I know that, Gillumhouse. No offense taken. Not dumping on you either but just as it's not innkeepers' concern whether guests have a fine journey, guests are paying and it's not their concern if hosts are frazzled. Again, it's a give and take. Works both ways.
regular_smile.gif

thumbs_up.gif

TinaC said:
thumbs_up.gif

We went thru 2 housekeepers this summer, walked off the job when we were running 100% occ. There was NO time to even put an ad online much less waste effort replying back to losers who just needed to tick a box on their unemployment form, try to schedule interviews and then train someone.
As for letting tired guests fall asleep in the living room or on the porch while other guests are trying to enjoy the last of their stay? Do they now feel rushed to vacate because these poor schlubs want a bathroom break, shower and a snooze? And trying to hustle out the entitled jerks who thought check-out was 'whenever we got our shit together' so we can actually let the next guests in really does take a toll.
Not to mention that they are showing up DURING breakfast. That's piss poor planning and not my problem.
However, the crazy season (August) is behind us. I am relaxed, getting out of the house again, going out for drives and to lunch with friends and I can be a gracious host once again. Check-in at 1? Not a problem.
August is over and you can breath. Good job! Inn-joy!
wink_smile.gif

thumbs_up.gif

As CH said - they want IN. They want the bathroom - NOW. They want the room - NOW. I am here, I want my room and I do not care if it is 9 AM or 11 AM and check-in is at 3 PM. NOW!!
All the activities you describe to get ready to leave and then get to the destination are LATE arrival things rather than early. I DO understand all that as I used to travel with 4 or 5 kids + DH and guess who got to do the packing., load the vehicle, and take care of all details. I still get to do all that and more but that all makes for late departure (in the old days with kids I tried to leave at 4 AM so the animals would sleep for a few hundred miles).
And hiring someone extra is another kettle of fish. Wages + taxes + FICA + unemployment + regulations + hoping they will not say the wrong thing to the right people........
It sounds like a simple solution but for an innkeeper it is a no win. There goes profit or even "break-even" (with extra hire), last night's guest is still having breakfast or just getting ready to leave the room, and Mr. & Mrs. WANT-IT-NOW expect to walk in to the room they saw on the Internet, not the room vacated 2 minutes ago. My property is not large enough to gardens (only good on sunny days unless in the heat of summer and then no thank you) and that is why we hide from early arrivals.
PS: To those who say in the UK wait 15 minutes and the weather will change - here we say wait 5 minutes.
I guess there are some who do not get B&B, inns. They are thinking on hotel, motel regs and if that's what they want, well, there's Motel Six or whatever.
I'm looking at the inn-dustry from a worker bee/inn-thusiast POV and cut the hosts slack where I can. I even bring hosts a gift when I stay at a property. I try to be a guest that will be welcomed back.
regular_smile.gif

Proud Texan, where's your B&B, Inn? Maybe I looked in the wrong place but I'd love to see it.

Back