Ever just feel like breaking down and crying?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madeleine

Reaction score
We are exhausted, physically, mentally & emotionally. This is the time of year we get bad reviews. I am not fit to answer the door before 3 PM. I HAVE to sit down and eat lunch and just veg for a little bit.
Walk past the window upstairs and see someone trying the doorknob at the inn entrance. Then putting his shoulder to the door and banging it. No, it doesn't open, it's locked. There is a sign.
Person gets on the phone and calls us. Tells me he is standing on the porch. I tell him check in is at 3 and he gives me grief, gets snarky with me. Another guest a few minutes later and they have parked themselves in the yard. DH has to go out to get FOOD. He doesn't want to go. He doesn't want to have to tell them they can't check in yet, that he is leaving.
I want to sit down and cry. Seriously. I am one more crappy guest comment away from a complete meltdown. (And subsequent trashing on TA and/or Yelp.)
OK, I am now breathing deeply. And SO looking forward to FOUR days off next week.

I hear you here in Maine! I can't stop mumbling under my breath ... idiot, idiot. Just found folks on the porch too looking at me like I'm the idiot, was only 2:30. Poppa Smurf and I are also very snippy. And yes, just a few minutes ago, I thought to myself I need to go melt down and cry... but three more rooms to check in, and TA crap is always only once simple snippy slip away. Serenity NOW.

Really sorry.
It reminds me of when my family had a restaurant in the 90's. People would line up outside before opening time. They couldn't understand why they couldn't come in and sit down and wait. But we're cleaning up. We're setting the tables. We're busy. WE'RE NOT OPEN!
So it was very strange to have them cupping their hands around their faces at the windows, looking in at us working and having to play like we didn't see them. Very uncomfortable. And I can certainly relate to the need to go outside where they are, to do something, and not wanting to confront them.
I'm waiting for someone to give the solution.

The answer to your question is YES!! It happened to me just last week. {{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}}
At this point, you must protect yourself. Don't answer the bloody phone if you know it's a pita that's standing at the door early. You don't need to hear the grief. They will survive. What's he going to say in a review...they wouldn't let me check in hours early?
Hang in there....put as much distance as you can from your guests. It's better to be unavailable than to take the risk of having them put you and DH over the edge. Let the voicemail take some of the calls. NOTHING is as important as your physical and mental health.
4 days off, 4 days off, 4 days off....it will be heaven. You can make it.

And Boom, at precisely 3:13 all three couples arrive at once from totally different originations... how does that happen?

And Boom, at precisely 3:13 all three couples arrive at once from totally different originations... how does that happen?.
Momma Smurf said:
And Boom, at precisely 3:13 all three couples arrive at once from totally different originations... how does that happen?
Here, too. And one guest who I had repeatedly told their travel agent there were 2 sets of stairs and she kept telling me they didn't want to pay more were totally unable to get up the second set of stairs. I moved them to the room they didn't want to pay for just to save my sanity. (So with moving them at a loss, having repeats with a discount, upgrading another set of guests without charging I gave away a room this week. Which is ok in the long run because I feel better about doing that.)
Phone calling guest walked in the door and challenged us about allowing children, pets, the handicapped, etc. Just stood there and went off on us about everything. Including the accessibility of a PUBLIC restroom.
I am sitting (well standing) at my desk here now trying to calm down. DH had to handle that check-in.

I feel your pain. I was in tears last week. I feel like I'm a prisoner in my own home right now. Yesterday I told DH I had to get away for a few hours or I was going to snap and it wouldn't be pretty. I went to the beach, brought a book and didn't say a word for 3 hrs. It felt soooooo good not having to mingle with anyone. I'm not totally rejuvenated, but it did help a little bit.
We're slow next week too and have big smiles on our faces looking at the bookings. Tuesday we have no one booked (yet)! We're both ready to have at least one day of not answering stupid questions or listening to people talk talk talk about stuff I care nothing about.
This forum is such a saving grace for me to know I'm not ALONE!

I feel your pain. I was in tears last week. I feel like I'm a prisoner in my own home right now. Yesterday I told DH I had to get away for a few hours or I was going to snap and it wouldn't be pretty. I went to the beach, brought a book and didn't say a word for 3 hrs. It felt soooooo good not having to mingle with anyone. I'm not totally rejuvenated, but it did help a little bit.
We're slow next week too and have big smiles on our faces looking at the bookings. Tuesday we have no one booked (yet)! We're both ready to have at least one day of not answering stupid questions or listening to people talk talk talk about stuff I care nothing about.
This forum is such a saving grace for me to know I'm not ALONE!.
This past Tuesday we had no one until Monday night when 5 rooms booked. But, I knew I was getting a break next week so it was ok. (And getting 9 room nights booked when I thought I wouldn't have anything was a good deal! That really put the cherry on top for this month.)

Yeah, sometimes. Someone who shall remain nameless was about to tell a guest that they could have a late checkout. I'm behind the door out of sight of the guest and they get a glare from me.... and realizes that their life is at danger if they says yes.
Have you tried changing your sign to something like:
Rooms are ready only at 3PM.
Early check-in is available for $50.
Please ring bell for $50 early check-in.
(At least this way, you have the money to go out for dinner)
The Wicked Witch of the West is on duty until 2:59PM, ring at your own risk.
Cheerful innkeeper available from 3PM on.
We are at the supermarket and will be back at 3PM.
In case of emergency, please find us at the supermarket.
We are at the locksmith getting keys for the door made.
We will be back at 3PM.

Rooms are ready at 3PM. Answering the door will delay out ability to have the room ready on time for everyone.
Try a number of signs and see what works. A little humour doesn't hurt. And neither does something suggesting that there is an early check-in fee. This way they understand that they might have to pay to check-in early. Then again, sometimes when the room is ready it's nice to get it out of the way. But sometimes I just answer the door, say that the room isn't normally ready until 3PM, but you can leave your luggage if you want, but then the room won't be ready until at least 3:15PM. Luggage must be left in unsecured public areas because the room must be clear for housekeeping to work efficiently.

Last week, by the time the grands left DH was setting my teeth on edge as he did his usual asking me a question I have absolutely no way of knowing the answert and then asking for more info. I just TOLD YOU I do not know!! That is standard for him and i usually just grit my teeth. Nut after 4 days of grandchildren who did not fall far from THAT "apple tree" I was ready to look for Tide, Hefty bags, AND cement! For me it is DH that drives me over the edge. We have had so few PITAs in our 18 years of operation that it is not guests who get to me. Also I do not have 6 to 8 rooms full all the summer and fall. Had 2 rooms last night and both rooms chose the same breakfast time thank goodness - 7:30.
DH had a thingy removed from the side of his head yesterday so I am in the middle of the whine whine whine season. (No wine in the house unfortunately.) With luck it will be better tomorrow or I will be ready to hand him his head!

DH says you are my soul-sister...I love you.
heart.gif
cry_smile.gif

I feel your pain...been there many times myself. It really kills me to block out days in high season, but I have learned that it is essential to have some down-time if we are going to continue to be innkeepers. So this week we were "guest-free" for 3 nights...sigh. Full house tonight, through Labor Day weekend, but at least I'm not so worn out and bi**chy that I can't make it through with a smile.
Hang on! Soon you'll have some time to yourself.
broken_heart.gif

Last week, by the time the grands left DH was setting my teeth on edge as he did his usual asking me a question I have absolutely no way of knowing the answert and then asking for more info. I just TOLD YOU I do not know!! That is standard for him and i usually just grit my teeth. Nut after 4 days of grandchildren who did not fall far from THAT "apple tree" I was ready to look for Tide, Hefty bags, AND cement! For me it is DH that drives me over the edge. We have had so few PITAs in our 18 years of operation that it is not guests who get to me. Also I do not have 6 to 8 rooms full all the summer and fall. Had 2 rooms last night and both rooms chose the same breakfast time thank goodness - 7:30.
DH had a thingy removed from the side of his head yesterday so I am in the middle of the whine whine whine season. (No wine in the house unfortunately.) With luck it will be better tomorrow or I will be ready to hand him his head!.
Do I know this particular problem.... How long has that been there? Ugh!

Yeah, sometimes. Someone who shall remain nameless was about to tell a guest that they could have a late checkout. I'm behind the door out of sight of the guest and they get a glare from me.... and realizes that their life is at danger if they says yes.
We will be back at 3PM.

Rooms are ready at 3PM. Answering the door will delay out ability to have the room ready on time for everyone.
Try a number of signs and see what works. A little humour doesn't hurt. And neither does something suggesting that there is an early check-in fee. This way they understand that they might have to pay to check-in early. Then again, sometimes when the room is ready it's nice to get it out of the way. But sometimes I just answer the door, say that the room isn't normally ready until 3PM, but you can leave your luggage if you want, but then the room won't be ready until at least 3:15PM. Luggage must be left in unsecured public areas because the room must be clear for housekeeping to work efficiently..
This is the second iteration of the sign. The first one was breezy and welcoming saying we were getting things ready for 3 PM check-in, see you then, blah blah blah.
I would say that 75% of the people who I saw go to the door and look at that sign proceeded to ring the bell. Including a family that arrived in four cars and EACH car group rang the bell. Even tho they were all standing in the dirveway talking to each other every one of them had to try the bell.
I've had better luck with what we are calling our 'unwelcome' sign. This person today just thinks who he is. He is a boundary pusher, an instigator, a troll. Won't be surprised to find him in the kitchen.
When shown to his room, he pointed to the hallway bathroom (only for one room) and started saying, 'You told me you didn't have a public bathroom, what do you call that? That's a public bathroom!!!'
DH had to explain, then he went, got the key and locked the door. I hope the guests in the room with the hall bath took our advice and locked it up again after they arrived.

DH had a thingy removed from the side of his head yesterday so I am in the middle of the whine whine whine season. (No wine in the house unfortunately.) With luck it will be better tomorrow or I will be ready to hand him his head!.
Do I know this particular problem.... How long has that been there? Ugh!
It has been there a while. It was non-cancerous so it was to be taken off at the office. By the time he got in to do the procedure, the flakey had started to clear and doc almost decided to "keep an eye on it" when DH said, "I can feel the lump" and pinpointed it for the doc. He felt it too and dug it out. About 3 inches of stitches pulled tight at side of forehead just above cheek bone. He said it hurts to blink. Tomorrow will be better but I will hear a blow-by-blow of it for the next month.
For all his whining about everything one wonders why he keeps going to the docs. I know he hurts all the time which is why I cannot figure out why he seems to want to live forever. (I think it is the constant negativity that gets me down. The Artistic Temperment is the Artistic Temper Tantrum!)

We will be back at 3PM.

Try a number of signs and see what works. A little humour doesn't hurt. And neither does something suggesting that there is an early check-in fee. This way they understand that they might have to pay to check-in early. Then again, sometimes when the room is ready it's nice to get it out of the way. But sometimes I just answer the door, say that the room isn't normally ready until 3PM, but you can leave your luggage if you want, but then the room won't be ready until at least 3:15PM. Luggage must be left in unsecured public areas because the room must be clear for housekeeping to work efficiently..
This is the second iteration of the sign. The first one was breezy and welcoming saying we were getting things ready for 3 PM check-in, see you then, blah blah blah.
I would say that 75% of the people who I saw go to the door and look at that sign proceeded to ring the bell. Including a family that arrived in four cars and EACH car group rang the bell. Even tho they were all standing in the dirveway talking to each other every one of them had to try the bell.
I've had better luck with what we are calling our 'unwelcome' sign. This person today just thinks who he is. He is a boundary pusher, an instigator, a troll. Won't be surprised to find him in the kitchen.
When shown to his room, he pointed to the hallway bathroom (only for one room) and started saying, 'You told me you didn't have a public bathroom, what do you call that? That's a public bathroom!!!'
DH had to explain, then he went, got the key and locked the door. I hope the guests in the room with the hall bath took our advice and locked it up again after they arrived.
I would actually put a sign on the hallway bathroom that read "Private" (not employees only, of course.)
But a sign saying that early check-in is $50 would likely be enough. Maybe a sign that says:
$50 (in 72 point lettering)
early check-in is available!
Please ring the bell to accept our $50 early check-in fee, no exceptions
Otherwise we will be every so thrilled to see you back after after 3 PM when regular check-in starts.
The bigger the amount, the more attention that it will get. Or print a copy of a $50 bill to get their attention. They will certainly look at a $50 bill attached to the door :)

We will be back at 3PM.

I would actually put a sign on the hallway bathroom that read "Private" (not employees only, of course.)
But a sign saying that early check-in is $50 would likely be enough. Maybe a sign that says:
Otherwise we will be every so thrilled to see you back after after 3 PM when regular check-in starts.
The bigger the amount, the more attention that it will get. Or print a copy of a $50 bill to get their attention. They will certainly look at a $50 bill attached to the door :)
Sign on bathroom door does say 'Private' it means nothing.
Even for $50 I cannot answer the door in August. Not if it means dealing with actual guests. Who want my time, want me to chat, tell them where to go, etc.
Not when the laundry is piling up and rooms aren't cleaned and I am run ragged.
So, I ignore the doorbell. But phone calls I answer. So glad all the windows were closed when I answered the phone. As it was I walked into my kitchen to be as far away from the front door as I could be.

We will be back at 3PM.

Sign on bathroom door does say 'Private' it means nothing.
Even for $50 I cannot answer the door in August. Not if it means dealing with actual guests. Who want my time, want me to chat, tell them where to go, etc.
Not when the laundry is piling up and rooms aren't cleaned and I am run ragged.
So, I ignore the doorbell. But phone calls I answer. So glad all the windows were closed when I answered the phone. As it was I walked into my kitchen to be as far away from the front door as I could be.
We ha this same problem several years ago. We started an early check in fee. I usually have one a day. Simi just clean that first. It starts at 1pm. When money is in play it's amazing how on time they are. I have other guess that sit in the parking lot for 45 min waiting until our normal 4 o'clock check in. They just sit in the car and wait. Sometimes if I'm not busy I will go and ask them if I can help them. They say " We are early and jus waiting for our 4 o'clock check in." I them tell them "your room is all ready to go. I can check you in!" they then reply by saying "We didn't book the early check in!" I then tell them "No problem, I won't charge you!" they act so excited and feel they are getting in on something really big. It's kinda funny! Anyway, you might try it. The fees paid for our vacation last year.

I had this yesterday - my parents are usually my back up but my father has got travelling kidneystones and at any time they can get really bad and he has to go into hospital for a pain shot - most of the time he is fine and has been for a week but it could be any time so I can't leave the 2 of them in charge to have a break as he could need to be taken to hospital at any time - his lazer surgery is booked for the 6th Sept so its not much longer.
(1) ruddy vacume for first landing broke so we have to either buy a new one or pay for repairs - while its at the shop have to lug the other ones about which are really heavy!
(2) we have a house we rent out - rent basically pays the bills and not much over - tenant went to visit his daughter and spent all his rent money
(3) super depressed as Mother in law is trying to buy a new place on a very limited budget - she doesn't drive so DH and I are trying to view as many places as possible to save waisting time of hers viewing places that are completely unsuitable as every month she is renting is waisting money - she got right to the gate with the perfect property and it all fell through - so we are all really down about it.
(4) My parents had a bad cold (or something needed 3 lots of antibiotics to get it shifted) told them not to come here and give it to us - so my mum came right round and gave it to us - we have now had it 3 weeks and its giving me cronic earache at night for the last 3 nights - was so crashed out check in's be damned went to sleep yesterday afternoon with the bell next to us! was so crashed!
(5) plumbers have let us down on room 3's new bathroom so all parts are everywhere - huge sheets of wetboard on the top landing - looks really bad and they can't do it till the 16th of September - so really cross!
(6) - all the guests have been nice though!

Back