Every Bed and Breakfast Website Should Have Professional Photos

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Pearce

Reaction score
http://www.trippoinc.com/marketing/every-bed-breakfast-website-needs-large-professional-photographs/

Should Have
Nice to have
Most B&B's cannot afford professional pics. With digital cameras or photo shop most people (or their kids) can do a great job.
Or find a photographer who is starting out and let them do the photos for free in exhange for them using you and your site as a reference
Avoid those darm "video tours". They are annoying and MOST people don't watch them.

Just saw this article inn the news and thought GEE HOW LOVELY! I WOULD LIKE TO VISIT THIS B&B! Then I clicked to the inn's website and saw the images, particularly in the tour the inn section (Dining room photo).
All that hard work restoring this historic home and then putting photos like that out there to represent it! This s/b the first priority. If I were to do it all over again, or advise anyone PROFESSIONAL IMAGES #1, in line with a great website and online reservations.
This IS your first impression. With compression software (even online) people can do much more than ever before!
So the example is SEE THE ARTICLE - those are prof photos, then click the first line of the article to the website, not prof photos.
Investing in the Past: Cobb Lane Bed and Breakfast | Birmingham ...

Should Have
Nice to have
Most B&B's cannot afford professional pics. With digital cameras or photo shop most people (or their kids) can do a great job.
Or find a photographer who is starting out and let them do the photos for free in exhange for them using you and your site as a reference
Avoid those darm "video tours". They are annoying and MOST people don't watch them..
I agree completely that contracting a professional, established photography company to come take pictures can be outrageously expensive. However I also address what you mention about getting a freelance or student photographer.
Posting an ad on craigslist in the tv/film/video jobs section can find you a great deal on photos from a student or amateur with an expensive camera and an eye for good pictures. Most freelance photographers can be negotiated with as well, they're just paying their bills. If they're not really busy then a few hundred dollars for a days work is worth it to them.
We're doing a website now for a local inn and found them a freelance girl who has been successful as a professional photographer for a couple years now. She's coming out for a full day of shooting with one of the best camera's available and studio lighting for $400. It's very possible to find a student or amateur photographer with expensive equipment for even cheaper then that (~$100), but to me even $400 is well worth what you get in return. Pictures sell rooms. Feature them big and prominent on your homepage and I promise your bookings will increase.
And yes, the video tours are obnoxious, please don't do these.

Just saw this article inn the news and thought GEE HOW LOVELY! I WOULD LIKE TO VISIT THIS B&B! Then I clicked to the inn's website and saw the images, particularly in the tour the inn section (Dining room photo).
All that hard work restoring this historic home and then putting photos like that out there to represent it! This s/b the first priority. If I were to do it all over again, or advise anyone PROFESSIONAL IMAGES #1, in line with a great website and online reservations.
This IS your first impression. With compression software (even online) people can do much more than ever before!
So the example is SEE THE ARTICLE - those are prof photos, then click the first line of the article to the website, not prof photos.
Investing in the Past: Cobb Lane Bed and Breakfast | Birmingham ....
Yes Joey, this is a perfect example! There is no reason an article about your property should have better pictures than your actual website.
Quality pictures will 100% sell your property. They should be large and beautiful and the first thing a visitor sees, it catches their attention and encourages them to actually read and learn more about your property.

Im a bit spoilt as my chamber maid's neice is doing photography at college so has all the equipment etc and does any pics I want for free to add to her portfolio and does pics for my mates (ie other B&B's) for about $40 for as many as they want taking its pocket money for her and a good deal for us.

Im a bit spoilt as my chamber maid's neice is doing photography at college so has all the equipment etc and does any pics I want for free to add to her portfolio and does pics for my mates (ie other B&B's) for about $40 for as many as they want taking its pocket money for her and a good deal for us..
Just wondering what kind of lens she uses and what kind of lighting. I just got my new camera and I am doing homework. Starting classes next week.
Thanks! :)

Should Have
Nice to have
Avoid those darm "video tours". They are annoying and MOST people don't watch them..
I agree completely that contracting a professional, established photography company to come take pictures can be outrageously expensive. However I also address what you mention about getting a freelance or student photographer.
Posting an ad on craigslist in the tv/film/video jobs section can find you a great deal on photos from a student or amateur with an expensive camera and an eye for good pictures. Most freelance photographers can be negotiated with as well, they're just paying their bills. If they're not really busy then a few hundred dollars for a days work is worth it to them.
We're doing a website now for a local inn and found them a freelance girl who has been successful as a professional photographer for a couple years now. She's coming out for a full day of shooting with one of the best camera's available and studio lighting for $400. It's very possible to find a student or amateur photographer with expensive equipment for even cheaper then that (~$100), but to me even $400 is well worth what you get in return. Pictures sell rooms. Feature them big and prominent on your homepage and I promise your bookings will increase.
And yes, the video tours are obnoxious, please don't do these.
I really want to see the pictures she takes. Thank you!!
Maybe you could e-mail me her name and I could ask her a couple of questions. I am very interested in what lighting she uses.

Im a bit spoilt as my chamber maid's neice is doing photography at college so has all the equipment etc and does any pics I want for free to add to her portfolio and does pics for my mates (ie other B&B's) for about $40 for as many as they want taking its pocket money for her and a good deal for us..
Just wondering what kind of lens she uses and what kind of lighting. I just got my new camera and I am doing homework. Starting classes next week.
sandynn said:
What camera did you go with? I am excited for you, you have the special eye to do really well with this! Something that other photogs don't get. A dear friend of ours "snapped" some photos when he was here, they were lousy101, I mean he doesn't "get" anything, at all, about B&B's, so they were utterly useless images. To him, seeing a tissue on a nightstand was no big deal. ug

sandynn said:
What camera did you go with? I am excited for you, you have the special eye to do really well with this! Something that other photogs don't get. A dear friend of ours "snapped" some photos when he was here, they were lousy101, I mean he doesn't "get" anything, at all, about B&B's, so they were utterly useless images. To him, seeing a tissue on a nightstand was no big deal. ug
I got a Nikon d5100.
One of my biggest pet peeves of all is a toilet seat up. I know I have said this before. I just want to call the innkeeper and say do you not see this. Tissue boxes are a big deal too.
I am excited to start classes. I will let you know how it goes.

sandynn said:
I got a Nikon d5100.
One of my biggest pet peeves of all is a toilet seat up. I know I have said this before. I just want to call the innkeeper and say do you not see this. Tissue boxes are a big deal too.
sandynn said:
I got a Nikon d5100.
I meant a used tissue that he left there (in his room) when he took the photo.
HEY NIKON! Good choice.

sandynn said:
I got a Nikon d5100.
sandynn said:
I got a Nikon d5100.
HEY NIKON! Good choice.
A used tissue are you kidding. Oh my gosh I thought you meant a tissue box. :(

sandynn said:
I got a Nikon d5100.
sandynn said:
I got a Nikon d5100.
HEY NIKON! Good choice.
Joey Bloggs said:
Eeeeew gross.
I have a Fuji Finepix 9600 and I think we did a pretty good job of our photos. We spent the best part of a day setting up the rooms, playing with the lighting, adding candles and objects of interest. Then we'd take photos, view them on the computer, go back adjust the room, position, lighting and take more until we were happy.
It's surprising how things show up on the photos that you didn't see in the room, like creased bedding, curtails folded....etc.
I think I've mentioned this on here before ... But there's a hotel near here who hadn't even made the bed when they took their room photos.

sandynn said:
I got a Nikon d5100.
Yeah...glad to hear you got one. You have the "right eye" it is the little things that make a difference. I am with you on toilet seats up in photos...UGH! I don't even want to see the toilet:) Maybe you could intern with the "Jumping Rocks" guys on a shoot sometime. Why not ask???

i am afraid she is one of those apauling people who could take an amazing photo with a cardboard box! she usuall just borrows mine which is a hp500 I think from Hewlet packard has this amazing ability to make tiny rooms look huge. Ie she popps round to see her aunt and takes a few while she is here, then her aunt looks at them and dashes round straightening everything! she is like I have to straighten this crease then take it again! lol Mind you DH has a good eye has taken a few good ones for me. I want to redo quite a few now that I have put in the new TV's

i am afraid she is one of those apauling people who could take an amazing photo with a cardboard box! she usuall just borrows mine which is a hp500 I think from Hewlet packard has this amazing ability to make tiny rooms look huge. Ie she popps round to see her aunt and takes a few while she is here, then her aunt looks at them and dashes round straightening everything! she is like I have to straighten this crease then take it again! lol Mind you DH has a good eye has taken a few good ones for me. I want to redo quite a few now that I have put in the new TV's
Cambs care to share some with us? Would love to see them!

sandynn said:
I got a Nikon d5100.
Yeah...glad to hear you got one. You have the "right eye" it is the little things that make a difference. I am with you on toilet seats up in photos...UGH! I don't even want to see the toilet:) Maybe you could intern with the "Jumping Rocks" guys on a shoot sometime. Why not ask???
That would be the dream of a life time to be with them for a shot.

Investing in the Past: Cobb Lane Bed and Breakfast | Birmingham ....
Just wanted to say thanks for the compliment on my photos.
In the next few months I'll be featuring another renovation of a historic Queen Anne into a B&B on the same web site. Hopefully I'll remember to post it here so everyone can see it.

sandynn said:
I got a Nikon d5100.
You have a great eye and an artful knack. You're going to do great in the class!

sandynn said:
I got a Nikon d5100.
You have a great eye and an artful knack. You're going to do great in the class!
I am excited about this. I hope I do ok.

Back