Every little mote of dust.

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
Everytime I turn around, more dust. Trying to decorate the whole house and everything needs to be dusted, redusted and dusted again. Aaaaaaaaaaaa!
angry_smile.gif

That's what Cousin It is for. Dust mop.

My solution is this:
You have come back to Granny's house and everyone knows Granny don't see too good these days!

My solution is this:
You have come back to Granny's house and everyone knows Granny don't see too good these days!.
Oy, when the sun hits it just right, even Granny can see this dust! And there's the AAA lady doing her inspection (2nd time this year, she must like us!)

My solution is this:
You have come back to Granny's house and everyone knows Granny don't see too good these days!.
Oy, when the sun hits it just right, even Granny can see this dust! And there's the AAA lady doing her inspection (2nd time this year, she must like us!)
I dodged the bullet on inspection today. The other inn she was going to inspect refused inspection today. She is going to come up next week instead.

My solution is this:
Morticia said:
Morticia...do you like being a AAA rated Inn?

My solution is this:
Morticia said:
Little Blue said:
Morticia said:
We don't pay for the privilege, so I can't hang up the sign or use it on my website and I am not required to give a discount or commission to their travel agents, but, yes, it helps to be listed in the book. The only real problem with it is that guests don't understand the rating system. They think that 3 stars means we're so so. It's based on amenities offered. So even a really poor hotel can get 4 stars because they have a pool.

My solution is this:
Morticia said:
Little Blue said:
Morticia said:
We don't pay for the privilege, so I can't hang up the sign or use it on my website and I am not required to give a discount or commission to their travel agents, but, yes, it helps to be listed in the book. The only real problem with it is that guests don't understand the rating system. They think that 3 stars means we're so so. It's based on amenities offered. So even a really poor hotel can get 4 stars because they have a pool.
Morticia said:
Little Blue said:
Morticia said:
Coming from a long career in the hotel business, I understand the AAA sustem quite well. I looked into it awhile back for ourselves, and it looked like we would be eligible with just one or two small changes. The exposure would be awesome, but I wondered how many B&B's were happy with the guests they get from AAA and whether the constant requests for a "AAA discount" drove them crazy!

My solution is this:
Morticia said:
Little Blue said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Little Blue said:
Morticia said:
Coming from a long career in the hotel business, I understand the AAA sustem quite well. I looked into it awhile back for ourselves, and it looked like we would be eligible with just one or two small changes. The exposure would be awesome, but I wondered how many B&B's were happy with the guests they get from AAA and whether the constant requests for a "AAA discount" drove them crazy!
You do not have to be in the book to get asked for the discount! Believe me, many guests do not use the book to find us, but they still have AAA, or they say they do. Hotels around here don't even bother to ask to see your membership card.
But, no, it doesn't bother me to be asked as if it wasn't that it would be some other sort of discount.
A guy the other night asked what kind of deals we had going on midweek. Gomez told him the rooms were $25 off and the guest said, 'That's it? That's the best you can do?' So, the discount questions get asked regardless.
We find that AAA guests understand there are no discounts in season. Many are long time repeats who ALWAYS mention, 'Don't forget my AAA discount!' So, I give them the AAA discount, which is not as good as my repeat discount.
Maybe if I HAD to give the discount by being a registered property (whatever it;s called, I can't remember) then it would bother me. But I can say no so it's ok.

My solution is this:
Morticia said:
Little Blue said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Little Blue said:
Morticia said:
You do not have to be in the book to get asked for the discount! Believe me, many guests do not use the book to find us, but they still have AAA, or they say they do. Hotels around here don't even bother to ask to see your membership card.
But, no, it doesn't bother me to be asked as if it wasn't that it would be some other sort of discount.
A guy the other night asked what kind of deals we had going on midweek. Gomez told him the rooms were $25 off and the guest said, 'That's it? That's the best you can do?' So, the discount questions get asked regardless.
We find that AAA guests understand there are no discounts in season. Many are long time repeats who ALWAYS mention, 'Don't forget my AAA discount!' So, I give them the AAA discount, which is not as good as my repeat discount.
Maybe if I HAD to give the discount by being a registered property (whatever it;s called, I can't remember) then it would bother me. But I can say no so it's ok.
Morticia said:
You do not have to be in the book to get asked for the discount!
Agreed. Bottom line is that AAA brings guests. If your rate structure is set up to allow you to give them a discount, you'll get even more guests. But if not, being listed in AAA brings more guests.
In today's economic climate, that alone is enough to warrant being AAA rated and listed in their directory.
Well worth whatever pesky tasks (inspections, annual reporting of amenities/rates, agreement not to increase rates for members during term, etc) come along with it.
And yes, they're going to ask for the discount anyway, whether you're AAA rated on not!

Only thing is AAA guests are hotel people, not B&B people. I discontinued listing with them, was not happy having ye ol' geezers calling and demanding "their" discount. As mentioned you don't even have to offer one, which is false advertising in my book, every AAA Member believes anything listed with them would offer a discount.
I have not had AAA demanding their discounts at check out now as I tell them "We are not in AAA!" After they already got a discount, the numbskulls.
Nope you can keep the AAA guests - I don't want them. Those are the "steal all your tea bags" guests we always talk about.

Only thing is AAA guests are hotel people, not B&B people. I discontinued listing with them, was not happy having ye ol' geezers calling and demanding "their" discount. As mentioned you don't even have to offer one, which is false advertising in my book, every AAA Member believes anything listed with them would offer a discount.
I have not had AAA demanding their discounts at check out now as I tell them "We are not in AAA!" After they already got a discount, the numbskulls.
Nope you can keep the AAA guests - I don't want them. Those are the "steal all your tea bags" guests we always talk about..
Oh yes, I've walked in on more than one sweet-little-old-lady who was completely emptying out the drawer full of organic and gourmet teabags into the purse!
But I've had just as many of those who weren't AAA guests as those who were...

My solution is this:
Morticia said:
Little Blue said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Little Blue said:
Morticia said:
I can probably count on 2 hands the number of folks in almost 2 years that have asked if we had a AAA discount. It's not worth it to me to have all the extra locks and nonsense.

Back