Every Other Weekend...Indefinitely

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arks

Reaction score
Advice needed on an interesting situation. I got a call today from a divorced father who lives about 4 hours from here. He gets his kids (9 y.o. and 13 y.o.) every other weekend, Friday 6 p.m. to Sunday 5 p.m. He wants to spend that time with them here rather than in his home 4 hours away, because they're at the age where they want to be near their friends.
So he's asking to rent my most expensive room for 2 weekend nights (my highest rate), every other week for the foreseeable future.
Thoughts? It would be nice to have such a regular setup locked in, and other people could still get the place on the off weeks.
I'd have to mark those weekends off way out on the calendar, and I guess it would be fair to charge the full two nights, two weeks in advance each time, in return for marking off all those future weekends. Or should I get more up front, like charge the 4 nights/month up front on the first of each month?
Definitely would need assurance that the kids wouldn't be having friends over when the dad is not there.
Of course, it will probably fall through anyway. I suggested he book it just for the next 2 nights he'll be in town, and see how it goes before we make any big future plans. I also mentioned that I can offer a king bed in the bedroom but with 3 of them they'd need to use the queen size sofa bed in the living area, and he wasn't wild about that but said it would probably work. We'll see!

Not wild about using a sofa bed for a kid? Sorry that last line caught me off guard.
Have him just book the first time and see how it goes. I have never seen your place as kid friendly, really. We get calls like this that never pan out...it is always alot of thought to consider then they just disappear and never call back.

Are you kidding? If he likes it, do what you can. I particularly like the stuff from Resource Furniture, something like their bunk beds that sit against the wall.
But ensure he tries it and is happy about it, first.

Not wild about using a sofa bed for a kid? Sorry that last line caught me off guard.
Have him just book the first time and see how it goes. I have never seen your place as kid friendly, really. We get calls like this that never pan out...it is always alot of thought to consider then they just disappear and never call back..
Joey Bloggs said:
Have him just book the first time and see how it goes. I have never seen your place as kid friendly, really. We get calls like this that never pan out...it is always alot of thought to consider then they just disappear and never call back.
Arkie did not say whether the kids are one of each or same sex. That would explain the not wild about it.

Have him just book the first time and see how it goes. I have never seen your place as kid friendly, really. We get calls like this that never pan out...it is always alot of thought to consider then they just disappear and never call back..
Joey Bloggs said:
Arkie did not say whether the kids are one of each or same sex. That would explain the not wild about it.
gillumhouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
I figured a boy and girl, boy sleeps with dad girl on sofa bed, two girls, both girls on sofa bed, or whatever.

Joey Bloggs said:
gillumhouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
I figured a boy and girl, boy sleeps with dad girl on sofa bed, two girls, both girls on sofa bed, or whatever.
Add the bed on the wall and you have a room that can sleep 5... if you have the space. And everyone is happy, including the owner!

Suggest a trial run for both you and the family before YOU committing your room only for him to possibly back out.
I have had the exact same scenario played out here. They became too comfortable and started bringing a friend or 2, then it was the Dad's dogs... I am not dog friendly and he knew this. He crated them at night outside after I had told him of several dog kennels and he had said he would look into it, but the following morning I found the dogs (2 small) crated outside. THAT was the last time they were here. I think he thought I would cave.

The bedroom is large and might hold a bunk bed against the wall, but that would really ruin the look of the room, as it is now, for everybody else who stays there (upscale-type adults). I'll think about it.
We'll see how the trial run weekend goes. If the dad seems like it's for him, I might be willing to do some special things to make it work for him. He would be an $8,000/year customer. ($150/night X 2 nights/week X 26 weeks/year)
This guy spoke on the phone about how he has looked for a house to buy here, or an apartment to rent, just to use 4 nights/month! That's dedication! But he said nothing he found, that was affordable for him, was nice. He thinks my place is nice. Wise man!

Joey Bloggs said:
I know how divorces and kids work. I think this is all about making the kids like staying with him more than staying with mom. If they have to stay on a sofa bed, it's a strike against dad. These broken family situations are extremely competitive between the parents, and the kids learn to manipulate things.
Indeed, I'm expecting to never hear from him again, but we'll see. I wouldn't call my place "not kid friendly" but maybe "kid uncomfortable" in that it will make them feel like they should be careful not to damage anything, which is exactly how I want them to feel.
Though I call it kid uncomfortable (too fancy for kids to be comfortable), I had one couple with their 12-year-old and they said they couldn't get him to leave the sofa bed because he'd never had a 60" plasma TV to watch from bed before. Then he discovered the heated water bidet toilet seat, and they couldn't get him to leave the bathroom!!!
BTW, so far nobody has damaged ANYTHING. Not a single mar anywhere...so far :-(

The bedroom is large and might hold a bunk bed against the wall, but that would really ruin the look of the room, as it is now, for everybody else who stays there (upscale-type adults). I'll think about it.
We'll see how the trial run weekend goes. If the dad seems like it's for him, I might be willing to do some special things to make it work for him. He would be an $8,000/year customer. ($150/night X 2 nights/week X 26 weeks/year)
This guy spoke on the phone about how he has looked for a house to buy here, or an apartment to rent, just to use 4 nights/month! That's dedication! But he said nothing he found, that was affordable for him, was nice. He thinks my place is nice. Wise man!.
Seriously take a look at some of that furniture. Besides the bunk beds they have some others that act as sofas or even desks.

This guy spoke on the phone about how he has looked for a house to buy here, or an apartment to rent, just to use 4 nights/month! That's dedication! But he said nothing he found, that was affordable for him, was nice. He thinks my place is nice. Wise man!.
Seriously take a look at some of that furniture. Besides the bunk beds they have some others that act as sofas or even desks.
Sugar Bear said:
Ah yes! I've seen them featured on a TV show, with the stuff that almost disappears when you don't need it. Yes, I'll look carefully at those fold-away bunk beds. Thanks for reminding me!

YEs I agree there are other options out there rather than a bunk bed. Trundles with the look of daybed etc. I liked the look of this one
Take a look here...lots of options

How about Murphy (wall) bed? When not in use, it just looks like a wardrobe.

There are so many of these type things...they come through and want a whole house booking for a family reunion, and oh forget to mention the 5 kids under 10...and the use of the kitchen, and oh granny can't do stairs...
Any time I answer local, I get a total waste of time. Unfortunately. A NIGHT!!? is the typical answer. And you know our rates aren't very high...

YEs I agree there are other options out there rather than a bunk bed. Trundles with the look of daybed etc. I liked the look of this one
You ain't seen nothing until you see a bed that is also a desk... http://www.resourcefurniture.com/space-savers/twin-space-saving-beds/cabrio-in or a bed that is also a couch http://www.resourcefurniture.com/space-savers/queen-space-saving-beds/circe_sofa
This is Italian furniture that is made for loft spaces. The desks are so well done that you don't even have to empty them.

OK, his first 2-night reservation just arrived through ResKey, so he's for real. We'll see how the mid-October stay goes, and if the boys (found out it's 2 boys) like it OK.

There are so many of these type things...they come through and want a whole house booking for a family reunion, and oh forget to mention the 5 kids under 10...and the use of the kitchen, and oh granny can't do stairs...
Any time I answer local, I get a total waste of time. Unfortunately. A NIGHT!!? is the typical answer. And you know our rates aren't very high...
Joey Bloggs said:
Arkie is a bit of a different situation because it is a rental apt. When I got special requests for the B & B....sorry...no kids no way no how. Bed & Breakfast that is it.

You ain't seen nothing until you see a bed that is also a desk... http://www.resourcefurniture.com/space-savers/twin-space-saving-beds/cabrio-in or a bed that is also a couch http://www.resourcefurniture.com/space-savers/queen-space-saving-beds/circe_sofa
This is Italian furniture that is made for loft spaces. The desks are so well done that you don't even have to empty them.
Those are really nice / cool looking.

I don't get the part about renting a room and then complaining about the sofa bed. I would think if that isn't what he wants, he should rent a different room. ????
But, I think it is cool that he wants to come to their town. Cool that he wants to establish a home base. And smart to figure that two weekends a month at a b&b costs less than renting an apartment full time.

Back