Everyone's an individual

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
Early arrivals. Not happy with the 1 PM suggested early arrival time. Another one that was a single is now a triple. At least these folks are calling ahead.

I made a management decision yesterday. After another unauthorized early arrival (which by the way I told them to come back later), I've decided that at 11:00 each day, the sign I have which says "To make sure we have everything ready for you, check-ins are not possible until 3:00pm. Thank you for your patience!" is going out.
Until now, if someone pulls in early and we have the room finished, I've let them in. But now, in our busy season, I realize how I just need to have a little "me" time which can only happen after we clean and before check-in. If someone pulls up early, I'm not even going to answer the door.
Give me strength to follow through on my plan!

I made a management decision yesterday. After another unauthorized early arrival (which by the way I told them to come back later), I've decided that at 11:00 each day, the sign I have which says "To make sure we have everything ready for you, check-ins are not possible until 3:00pm. Thank you for your patience!" is going out.
Until now, if someone pulls in early and we have the room finished, I've let them in. But now, in our busy season, I realize how I just need to have a little "me" time which can only happen after we clean and before check-in. If someone pulls up early, I'm not even going to answer the door.
Give me strength to follow through on my plan!.
I wouldn't be that nice with the sign. Put out one of those time clock cards 'BACK AT 3 PM" and DO NOT ANSWER THE DOOR!!!!!

You know of course that they unhappy with 1 PM (too late) is not here.

I fight with the PTB (powers that be) about that constantly. The PTB are usually not here, so I am the one to deal with it. I put out a sign too and I don't answer the door. I have had people drive around the place and even look into windows (creepy but true). Check in starts at 3. Not 1, not 2 but 3. Everyone really needs to understand this concept...and NO YOU CAN NOT DROP OFF YOUR LUGGAGE AND COME BACK AT 3!!!

I have that on the door every single day. Whether the rooms are ready or not. Check in time BEGINS AT and that is that.

I think in these times of more last minute bookings, demands for discounts or no reservation, guests maximizing their "value" by taking full advantage and then some of every amenity we all offer, the least we should expect from them is no early arrivals.
We're doing the sign and locked door now regardless of whether the room is ready or not. People act like their room is separate from the myriad of other cleaning we all do on the property.
We have a 140' long portal, which is what covered porches are called in the southwest. I've literally had to ask early arrivals to move out of the adirondack chiars and off the portal so I could finish blowing the leaves off.
We have LOTS of other cleaning to do also, including the grounds and some daily landscaping chores, I don't want to greet people in my yard work clothes with the weed whacker running when they pull in and make a poor impression.
Somewhere in there a lunch is in order and a bathroom stop that didn't happen between 8 when we start serving breakfast and whenever the last lingering check out decided they had gotten their full "value" out of us and checked out at noon.
This is a two way street, we small business owners want to survive this poor economy and we want our guests to show their loyalty, but all the adjustments can't be borne by our side of the economic equation only.

I think in these times of more last minute bookings, demands for discounts or no reservation, guests maximizing their "value" by taking full advantage and then some of every amenity we all offer, the least we should expect from them is no early arrivals.
We're doing the sign and locked door now regardless of whether the room is ready or not. People act like their room is separate from the myriad of other cleaning we all do on the property.
We have a 140' long portal, which is what covered porches are called in the southwest. I've literally had to ask early arrivals to move out of the adirondack chiars and off the portal so I could finish blowing the leaves off.
We have LOTS of other cleaning to do also, including the grounds and some daily landscaping chores, I don't want to greet people in my yard work clothes with the weed whacker running when they pull in and make a poor impression.
Somewhere in there a lunch is in order and a bathroom stop that didn't happen between 8 when we start serving breakfast and whenever the last lingering check out decided they had gotten their full "value" out of us and checked out at noon.
This is a two way street, we small business owners want to survive this poor economy and we want our guests to show their loyalty, but all the adjustments can't be borne by our side of the economic equation only..
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
This is a two way street, we small business owners want to survive this poor economy and we want our guests to show their loyalty, but all the adjustments can't be borne by our side of the economic equation only.
applause.jpg

Back