Excel Spreadsheets

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Penelope

Reaction score
I created a file full of addresses and am wondering if I can adjust it to create mailing labels. Anyone know?
Thanks

PS You also need to have each column as a field, ie:
Last name First Name Address City Zip
You can't have them all in the same cell. But you don't I am guessing or you wouldn't be using excel.

Right, I have all the cells separate. So, I need to put them into Word? Will any Word program work or only the more recent editions?

Right, I have all the cells separate. So, I need to put them into Word? Will any Word program work or only the more recent editions?.
emspiers said:
Right, I have all the cells separate. So, I need to put them into Word? Will any Word program work or only the more recent editions?
Should work with any prgm, you didn't say what version of excel. So it should convert it over for you. If you have word, go in and look at a tutorial/help on MAIL MERGE. It is super easy, I haven't done it for a half dozen years, and would have to be there to do it and show you. But I did it often with legal contracts from mailing lists we took from our database and first excel, then word mail merge.

It needs to be done in Word because that's the program that will format it to print correctly on labels.
When you're done with the XLS file, open Word (any recent version should work), go to Tools>Letters and Mailings>Mail Merge Wizard. Fill everything out to get the right size labels, then in the "Select Recipients" step, click "existing list" and then browse for your XLS file. As long as everything's in separate columns and labeled in the header, should be pretty easy.
Try the Help if you get stuck--it's normally pretty helpful.

It needs to be done in Word because that's the program that will format it to print correctly on labels.
When you're done with the XLS file, open Word (any recent version should work), go to Tools>Letters and Mailings>Mail Merge Wizard. Fill everything out to get the right size labels, then in the "Select Recipients" step, click "existing list" and then browse for your XLS file. As long as everything's in separate columns and labeled in the header, should be pretty easy.
Try the Help if you get stuck--it's normally pretty helpful..
Open WORD
click Tools
click Mail Merge
click Main Document
click Create
click Active Window
click under Data Source - Get Data
click Open Data Source (this will bring up your files)
open your Excel File where your data is located (you will have to click Excel worksheets as type of file)
open File (mine asked if I wanted to open entire worksheet - OK)
click the Set Up Main Document box
choose label size
click insert merge field for each field
  • first name (hit space bar) Last name (enter for each new line)
  • address
  • city (comma then space) State
  • zip
click Merge
click the Merge box
you now have your labels. I wrote this as I wrote procedures in my former life - make no assumptions as to the knowledge of the user so use KISS and anyone can do it. Hope it helps. You do not convert your Excel to Word, the Wizard does all that. Sorry I could not answer sooner. Lot on my plate today.

Back