exchange professional photos for...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunshine

Reaction score
Hey, I have an idea... what do you think? My husband is a professional photographer, (worked for Govt for 20 years, and now works for the U). Here's my idea: In exchange for you buying our tickets to your B&B and one nights stay, we would shoot any and all the beautiful Photographs you want and you keep the CD's free and clear to do with as you wish (And we could thow in some wonderful prints too). Would any of you consider something like this????
I know some folks pay over $1,000. for professional Photos. I don't think a couple of airline tickets cost that much...
You'd get some excellent Professional Photographs, we'd get to see your beautiful B&B and we all would get some great support and encouragement from each other!
Hey, it's a thought.....

ok, so we all get encouragement on this forum too... but you know what i mean, I hope.
He has taken photos for the Garth Mansion in Hannibal, and Manressa Castle in Pt. Townsend. and others.

ok, so we all get encouragement on this forum too... but you know what i mean, I hope.
He has taken photos for the Garth Mansion in Hannibal, and Manressa Castle in Pt. Townsend. and others..
did he take the pictures you use on your website?

Where have you been all my life.
regular_smile.gif

I suggest this all the time. So you are saying ROAD TRIP and put hubby to work? You would be his asst obv.

Question: Why don't you have large impressive pics on your own website? Is it a case of the cobbler's kids have no shoes?

OK, I designed the website my self (first ever not knowing anything at all about websites). Don't know if that was a good idea or not... And I am using a company that gives you templates to use and they basically host us. I don't really understand it all, and like I said.. I have never ever done anything like this before. The down fall of using this company is that all our pictures look pixely and I don't know how to change that. I guess you get what you pay for as we only pay $50/month. As far as the size of our pics, everything I read about websites, and search engine optimization stress written information as being more important than the pictures. I'm not sure I agree with that, but that is what they all say.
As far as the pictures on the site, yes, he did take all of them except one or two that I took. They really are good quality pics, but I do not know what to do to them to make them look like the actual photos. The detail in them is really wonderful. I think if we paid a company to do our web site, they are the ones who would really know.
If anyone is really interested, we could send you a link to some of his work.
as far as the ROAD TRIP goes... we couldn't drive, we'd have to fly, unless you live here in MO... I'm thinking more of a quick thing... fly out take pics, stay the night and take more pics if needed and then fly back home (we both have 'paying jobs' and the B&B).
oh, and yes I'm his assistant. We shoot a lot of weddings, and I always help with catching the little details that he may miss.

OK, I designed the website my self (first ever not knowing anything at all about websites). Don't know if that was a good idea or not... And I am using a company that gives you templates to use and they basically host us. I don't really understand it all, and like I said.. I have never ever done anything like this before. The down fall of using this company is that all our pictures look pixely and I don't know how to change that. I guess you get what you pay for as we only pay $50/month. As far as the size of our pics, everything I read about websites, and search engine optimization stress written information as being more important than the pictures. I'm not sure I agree with that, but that is what they all say.
As far as the pictures on the site, yes, he did take all of them except one or two that I took. They really are good quality pics, but I do not know what to do to them to make them look like the actual photos. The detail in them is really wonderful. I think if we paid a company to do our web site, they are the ones who would really know.
as far as the ROAD TRIP goes... we couldn't drive, we'd have to fly, unless you live here in MO... I'm thinking more of a quick thing... fly out take pics, stay the night and take more pics if needed and then fly back home (we both have 'paying jobs' and the B&B).
oh, and yes I'm his assistant. We shoot a lot of weddings, and I always help with catching the little details that he may miss..
One more thing; We took the wedding pictures for John and Julie Rolsens son owners of the Garth Mansion, and are taking thier other son's wedding pics next month.

WHAT are you reading that tells you written info is more important than pictures?
you need both, but high quality, appealing pictures pull guests in.
half the time, or maybe more, they don't read what our website says.
your husband would surely agree that a picture is worth a thousand words.
look at the websites done by whitestone marketing ....

As far as the size of our pics, everything I read about websites, and search engine optimization stress written information as being more important than the pictures. I'm not sure I agree with that, but that is what they all say.
THEY ALL?
Boy did you come to the right place! You are selling rooms at a B&B - Photos are worth 1000 words. Absolutely hands down. There is nothing more important on your website than you photos.
PEOPLE DON'T READ.
PEOPLE DON'T READ.
PEOPLE DON'T READ.
SEO is not what GUESTS SEE. Guests are the ones who pay your bills. SEO is a whole other animal and I am sure Steve can provide an introductory on that.

As far as the size of our pics, everything I read about websites, and search engine optimization stress written information as being more important than the pictures. I'm not sure I agree with that, but that is what they all say.
THEY ALL?
Boy did you come to the right place! You are selling rooms at a B&B - Photos are worth 1000 words. Absolutely hands down. There is nothing more important on your website than you photos.
PEOPLE DON'T READ.
PEOPLE DON'T READ.
PEOPLE DON'T READ.
SEO is not what GUESTS SEE. Guests are the ones who pay your bills. SEO is a whole other animal and I am sure Steve can provide an introductory on that..
Ok, that is what I have always thought too. So I will try to work on changing the site ASAP! (I do have several client files for work I must get done first).

WHAT are you reading that tells you written info is more important than pictures?
you need both, but high quality, appealing pictures pull guests in.
half the time, or maybe more, they don't read what our website says.
your husband would surely agree that a picture is worth a thousand words.
look at the websites done by whitestone marketing .....
Whitestone Marketing. ok, thanks.

THEY ALL?
PEOPLE DON'T READ.
PEOPLE DON'T READ.
PEOPLE DON'T READ.
SEO is not what GUESTS SEE. Guests are the ones who pay your bills. SEO is a whole other animal and I am sure Steve can provide an introductory on that..
well, i thought i was reading good info....
I am glad, truly glad I found this website/ forum.

Yes! But only if when we come to your place, you pay for our tickets and my professional photographer dh takes pics of your inn!
Hee-hee!
tounge_smile.gif

oh, and yes I'm his assistant. We shoot a lot of weddings, and I always help with catching the little details that he may miss..
high street victorian said:
For SEO you need text. For people you need pictures. You can add text to the pictures using the 'alt' tag. Text is good because it shows up even if the pictures don't for some reason. Don't neglect text but don't neglect pix, either. If the pix match the text that's even better.
Like JBJ says, guests don't read. They look at pix, THEN they MIGHT read but there is no guarantee on that one!
If you like text, make sure it is broken up into small segments. Only lawyers will read long paragraphs!

As a traveler and NOT and Innkeeper, I do know that I like lots of pictures and larger sized pictures when I am looking to see what I am going to "buy". I need lots of pictures to really draw me in and make me want to stay in your website. I love to see pictures of the common rooms, bedrooms as well as the bathroom, maybe a picture of a breakfast as wellour as pictures outside, especially when the house is in the view. Your Inn looks nice but I would love to see more of it!

Yes! But only if when we come to your place, you pay for our tickets and my professional photographer dh takes pics of your inn!
Hee-hee!
tounge_smile.gif
Willowpondgj said:
Hee-hee!
tounge_smile.gif
Award winning photographer.
teeth_smile.gif

THEY ALL?
PEOPLE DON'T READ.
PEOPLE DON'T READ.
PEOPLE DON'T READ.
The print are the details the guest needs. They will read it or not AFTER the photos wow them. With your hubby being a photog you should be able to have a lot of WOW on your website.
I am going to do something - I am going to google "your town and Bed and Breakfast."
First one I come to (I will abbreviate the name as to not put the name on here) GG has the most awful photo on their home page. It looks like they accidentally put it on there. As a guest I will go NO FURTHER. They might have some good pics elsewhere but I am closing my browser on this place. Not to mention the font is fuzzy. Ok I went against my judgement and clicked porch and got even worse photos. This is your competition, so as a guest I click off of them and onto you and get a big WOW and book with you immediately.
Have a look at some websites that are VERY attractive to you and try to emulate that or hire someone to create something like that. Pretend you are going on a trip...that always works well. You will find yourself getting frustrated with half or more of the websites right off the bat.
If you HOME PAGE photo could be the MAIN THING on the page with your B&B name in the header you would have won half the battle from the get go.
RCene is another with tiny header photo and too much wording on the home page. A photo of a stairway on the home page? Their website puts me off.
Don't compare yourself to these when creating a website. These are poor examples, you want to be 100 times better than these. It is better to have a ONE PAGE website than what these have online. You have an oppty to WAY EXCEED what they have done and it won't be very difficult!!
Lastly gotta get on the main directories that helps with SEO as well!!! The directories will send you as much business as your own website - for many of us it does. (These are not listed in any particular order)
www.BBonline.com
www.Bedandbreakfast.com
www.iloveinns.com
www.BnBfinder.com
www.innsite.com
Do a google search and whatever comes up for your town, you want to list on the top few of those B&B directories. Look at it this way - if you spend it NOW you will bring in guests and repeat guests and it will pay for itself QUICKLY. You can deduct the costs of these directories on your taxes. BEST BANG FOR YOUR BUCK you will find.
Not everyone will come to your website the same way. They may already be on a directory like BnBfinder and it only shows TWO B&B's there and you aren't one of them. Like Bree often says, the more places YOUR name pops up the better it is for you and more likely for them to book with you. I agree with this 100%. Even tho you have the top spot in google, you need to be in all of the top 5 to 10 spots if you can.
The more content on your website the better this will be for you.
Okay all the unsolicited advice. Take it for what it is worth. I have gained much knowledge from this bunch online. I learn more and more everyday. All diff styles diff places but the same goal - the bring in quality guests to enjoy all the hard work we put into our inns.

THEY ALL?
PEOPLE DON'T READ.
PEOPLE DON'T READ.
PEOPLE DON'T READ.
The print are the details the guest needs. They will read it or not AFTER the photos wow them. With your hubby being a photog you should be able to have a lot of WOW on your website.
I am going to do something - I am going to google "your town and Bed and Breakfast."
First one I come to (I will abbreviate the name as to not put the name on here) GG has the most awful photo on their home page. It looks like they accidentally put it on there. As a guest I will go NO FURTHER. They might have some good pics elsewhere but I am closing my browser on this place. Not to mention the font is fuzzy. Ok I went against my judgement and clicked porch and got even worse photos. This is your competition, so as a guest I click off of them and onto you and get a big WOW and book with you immediately.
Have a look at some websites that are VERY attractive to you and try to emulate that or hire someone to create something like that. Pretend you are going on a trip...that always works well. You will find yourself getting frustrated with half or more of the websites right off the bat.
If you HOME PAGE photo could be the MAIN THING on the page with your B&B name in the header you would have won half the battle from the get go.
RCene is another with tiny header photo and too much wording on the home page. A photo of a stairway on the home page? Their website puts me off.
Don't compare yourself to these when creating a website. These are poor examples, you want to be 100 times better than these. It is better to have a ONE PAGE website than what these have online. You have an oppty to WAY EXCEED what they have done and it won't be very difficult!!
Lastly gotta get on the main directories that helps with SEO as well!!! The directories will send you as much business as your own website - for many of us it does. (These are not listed in any particular order)
www.BBonline.com
www.Bedandbreakfast.com
www.iloveinns.com
www.BnBfinder.com
www.innsite.com
Do a google search and whatever comes up for your town, you want to list on the top few of those B&B directories. Look at it this way - if you spend it NOW you will bring in guests and repeat guests and it will pay for itself QUICKLY. You can deduct the costs of these directories on your taxes. BEST BANG FOR YOUR BUCK you will find.
Not everyone will come to your website the same way. They may already be on a directory like BnBfinder and it only shows TWO B&B's there and you aren't one of them. Like Bree often says, the more places YOUR name pops up the better it is for you and more likely for them to book with you. I agree with this 100%. Even tho you have the top spot in google, you need to be in all of the top 5 to 10 spots if you can.
The more content on your website the better this will be for you.
Okay all the unsolicited advice. Take it for what it is worth. I have gained much knowledge from this bunch online. I learn more and more everyday. All diff styles diff places but the same goal - the bring in quality guests to enjoy all the hard work we put into our inns.
WOW JBJ, This is really helpful! Thanks!!!!!!!!
OK, I will definately consider all this and go to work ASAP (tryint to iron right now... ugh. would much rather work on changing my website!).
Bless all of you for your valuable input and help! Thanks.

Back