Excited Call from Grandson

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillumhouse

Reaction score
Just chatting, not crying.
Our oldest grandson is in the Navy. He called us this afternoon, all excited. He could hardly hold his news in until Gramps picked up the phone. He put in for duty attached to the Army in Afghanistan and got word today that he got the assignment. He is so excited. We told him we are happy for him because we know he wanted to do this. He is Military Police (Master at Arms in the Navy). It is so wonderful to watch them grow from little kids into wonderful people. He will start the round of posts to train for his new duty soon. The only thing we told him was - keep your head down.

gillumhouse said:
The only thing we told him was - keep your head down.
Very good advice..
We also told him how proud we are of him - but he already knew that.
I told him about the Thank you Veterans Project. He was stunned to hear we have inns in 20 States. Kentucky & New Jersey State Associations have joined in as well as the 19 inns in the Greater Ithaca Bed & Breakfast Association and several more individual inns. He was "blown away" at how many have joined in. He is going to e-mail me the name of his buddy's Mom who is in charge of some military processing thing (he could not remember what it is exactly) here in WV. We are rolling bed & breakfasts!!

gillumhouse said:
Very good advice..
I told him about the Thank you Veterans Project. He was stunned to hear we have inns in 20 States. Kentucky & New Jersey State Associations have joined in as well as the 19 inns in the Greater Ithaca Bed & Breakfast Association and several more individual inns. He was "blown away" at how many have joined in. He is going to e-mail me the name of his buddy's Mom who is in charge of some military processing thing (he could not remember what it is exactly) here in WV. We are rolling bed & breakfasts!!
I'm sure he's just as proud of you.

wow. i have some family in the military. one is going to med school that way, one is career military. they believe in what they are doing, they accept the risks, and i wish them well. your son, too!

gillumhouse said:
Very good advice..
gillumhouse said:
Well tell him we (myself & DH) are proud of him too. So glad to hear the excitement. We will keep him in our prayers.

My son was in Iraq twice and had lost half his hearing, he is now training to be an MP. He had a hard time not being able to go again for a third time because of the hearing impariment and felt guilty that his "guys" where going and some came back hurt and pretty much felt it was his fault and he should have been there. He has since worked on this and the nightmares- Our military has put themselves in danger for all of us-thank You. I am so happy that he came back home in one piece except for his mind (working on that) and I can't say that Im not happy that he's not going back-CAUSE I AM
-Kathleen-would like more info on the Thank our Veteran for the Inn we are going to. I think that the owner would go for it and it would be upping her competition.

My son was in Iraq twice and had lost half his hearing, he is now training to be an MP. He had a hard time not being able to go again for a third time because of the hearing impariment and felt guilty that his "guys" where going and some came back hurt and pretty much felt it was his fault and he should have been there. He has since worked on this and the nightmares- Our military has put themselves in danger for all of us-thank You. I am so happy that he came back home in one piece except for his mind (working on that) and I can't say that Im not happy that he's not going back-CAUSE I AM
-Kathleen-would like more info on the Thank our Veteran for the Inn we are going to. I think that the owner would go for it and it would be upping her competition..
I had been bothered by the lack of ID for the Vietnam Vet. An innkeeper in New Hampshire has a retired military friend who asked about those who would not be included. I asked him to ask his friend how we could identify the "real thing" and he responded:
If you state that a free room can be obtained for anyone who possesses a valid military ID, a valid VA ID card or any valid veteran seperation paperwork, then you will have done a great service to veterans.

So that is going to be the criteria.

Back