Excuse me....

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillumhouse

Reaction score
I am way behind due to catching up on the house, e-mail, mail, and the Forum so I am going to ask rather than dig - Did Socks tell us how she did with all that baking she was talking about?
If not, I want a bulleted list of entries and ribbons! Photos if you have them Socks.

Thanks for asking! I did very well.
I'll email you off forum...
=)
Kk.

I wanted to know as well. Please share.
regular_smile.gif
or cc me on the email

Thanks for asking! I did very well.
I'll email you off forum...
=)
Kk..
NO!!! Tell all. I got it in e-mail and what you did is extra super impressive!!! Remember, inquiring minds want to know. PLEASE post your entries and ribbens.
Question? Does your County Fair have monetary awards with the ribbons (not asking how much)? In Illinois there was a token $ attached to the ribbons - it paid for the flour & sugar THEN.

OK, with the disclaimer that I am obviously stupid crazy.
I showed 62 baked items (plus an African Violet that didn't do well).
8 two-layer cakes (6 blue/2 red)
4 decorated cakes (4 blue)
13 pies (4 blue/1 red)
10 breads (1 blue/shoulda got some more as well as some reds but the judges messed up)
9 loaf cakes (5 blues/1 red)
2 cookies (2 blues)
9 candies (5 blues/1 red)
7 quick breads (1 blue/judges messed up and forgot to award reds)
As well as awards for Best Decorated Cake, Best Cake, and Most Blue Ribbons (28!).
I'm thrilled with how well I did, but disappointed in the judges who were either disorganized and missed some categories altogether (no ribbons awarded), or simply too harsh as there were many categories with many entries and they didn't award a red ribbon. Or stingy?
I'm happy with my decorated cakes, though (a sweep!), as well as my candies--some of which I'd never made before and they got blue. Also cookies... in the past they've been tough to do well in because there are so many entries. I wasn't trying to enter any, but I threw in some I'd made for guests and was thrilled to get blue for both.
I think it's $8 blue and $7 red. They discontinued whites this year to try to raise the premiums. I'd rather they awarded whites as well.
Thanks for asking!!!
=)
Kk.

13 pies (4 blue/1 red)
10 breads (1 blue/shoulda got some more as well as some reds but the judges messed up)
2 cookies (2 blues)
As well as awards for Best Decorated Cake, Best Cake, and Most Blue Ribbons (28!).
I'm thrilled with how well I did, but disappointed in the judges who were either disorganized and missed some categories altogether (no ribbons awarded), or simply too harsh as there were many categories with many entries and they didn't award a red ribbon. Or stingy?
I'm happy with my decorated cakes, though (a sweep!), as well as my candies--some of which I'd never made before and they got blue. Also cookies... in the past they've been tough to do well in because there are so many entries. I wasn't trying to enter any, but I threw in some I'd made for guests and was thrilled to get blue for both.
I think it's $8 blue and $7 red. They discontinued whites this year to try to raise the premiums. I'd rather they awarded whites as well.
Thanks for asking!!!
=)
Kk..
Congratulations! That is WAY impressive! Now you can honestly advertise the College House as the home of the blue ribbon goodies! Way to go!

EXCELLENT marketing!! Blue ribbon baked goods served! Put the Blue Ribbon in blue font!

THAT IS AMAZING!!!! You better post that on your website, makes me hungry just thinking about it. I hope you are proud of yourself. You worked your "buns" off.

THAT IS AMAZING!!!! You better post that on your website, makes me hungry just thinking about it. I hope you are proud of yourself. You worked your "buns" off..
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
THAT IS AMAZING!!!! You better post that on your website, makes me hungry just thinking about it. I hope you are proud of yourself. You worked your "buns" off.
"Visit College House -- home of the Blue Ribbon Buns!"

omg_smile.gif
Now, THAT's impressive! I agree about putting that on your website. It speaks not only to your baking prowess, but also your incredible organizational and multi-tasking abilities!
Congratulations! Well deserved!

13 pies (4 blue/1 red)
2 cookies (2 blues)
Thanks for asking!!!
=)
Kk..
Now you need another room -- The Home Ec Department. ;)

13 pies (4 blue/1 red)
2 cookies (2 blues)
Thanks for asking!!!
=)
Kk..
Wow! Congrats! You're an inspiration! I'm entering some stuff at our local fall festival next weekend, it's fun!

I think I should take some cooking lessons from you! I can cook the basics but I am trying new recipes now but they have to be simple! Congrats on your wins.

13 pies (4 blue/1 red)
2 cookies (2 blues)
Thanks for asking!!!
=)
Kk..
Congrats!! All your hard work paid off. You absolutely should put that on your website, if you haven't already!

Thank you, all!
I don't have it on the website, but I'll see what I can do...
Last year it got me an article in the food section. I'm hoping I can figure a way to get some publicity again this year.
I've gotten "Most Blue Ribbons" four of the five times I've entered ('85, '86, '07, '08 ). When I didn't get it in 2006 I came back determined to get it last year and this. Mostly I went for quantity, which takes a LOT of organization to schedule and keep track of.
I really have fun doing it. But my husband is ready for this to be my last year. I'll probably join the Fair Committee and not bake anymore...
=)
Kk.

Thank you, all!
Last year it got me an article in the food section. I'm hoping I can figure a way to get some publicity again this year.
I've gotten "Most Blue Ribbons" four of the five times I've entered ('85, '86, '07, '08 ). When I didn't get it in 2006 I came back determined to get it last year and this. Mostly I went for quantity, which takes a LOT of organization to schedule and keep track of.
I really have fun doing it. But my husband is ready for this to be my last year. I'll probably join the Fair Committee and not bake anymore...
=)
Kk..
That is the way to do it - retire as the Champion!!

Thank you, all!
=)
Kk..
Sounds like a blue ribbon cookbook ought to be in development. ;)

Congratulations Socks!!! That is very impressive.
Good for you!!!

Thank you, all!
=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
Thank you, all!
=)
Kk.
Hey Socks, I saw this place listed for sale on bbonline and this caught my attention on their header, I thought you might like to see it. Do something like this re your special winners from the fair? Have a look here.

Back