Expiration date on gift certificates

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Country Girl

Reaction score
Do you put an expiration date on gift certificates? If so, what is the time period for redemption?

Check your state & local laws for that. We can't have expiry dates here unless the GC is a donation. Purchased GC's are good forever.
If there are no laws, I'd say one year gives the guest a chance to get there and use it. Then you need to decide if you will hold fast to that rule when the guest calls a month or 2 after expiration.

Check your state & local laws for that. We can't have expiry dates here unless the GC is a donation. Purchased GC's are good forever.
If there are no laws, I'd say one year gives the guest a chance to get there and use it. Then you need to decide if you will hold fast to that rule when the guest calls a month or 2 after expiration..
As Morticia said, you must check the laws in your state. Your state B&B association should know.
We can have an expiration date, so we have a 1 year exp. but I will give a 30 day extension for those who call panicked.
If I lived in a state that did not allow expiration dates, I would not sell my own. I don't want that long term liability on my books.

If there are no laws, I'd say one year gives the guest a chance to get there and use it. Then you need to decide if you will hold fast to that rule when the guest calls a month or 2 after expiration..
As Morticia said, you must check the laws in your state. Your state B&B association should know.
We can have an expiration date, so we have a 1 year exp. but I will give a 30 day extension for those who call panicked.
If I lived in a state that did not allow expiration dates, I would not sell my own. I don't want that long term liability on my books.
This state doesn't let that become a problem (the liability on your books). After 4 years, if you do not know who owns the GC, ie cannot get in touch with them to remind them, you have to send the money, less an 'accounting' fee you can keep, to the state.

Virginia does not allow expiration dates.
Our gift certificates are numbered and have no expiration date. They state that they are not redeemable for cash, not transferrable. The value of the gift certificate is good against any price increase for one year. They are dated.
This way if they show up with one that is years old we can charge the difference, and when we do sell we can show the value of the ones outstanding.
RIki

Our gift certificates are numbered and have no expiration date. They state that they are not redeemable for cash, not transferrable. The value of the gift certificate is good against any price increase for one year. They are dated.
This way if they show up with one that is years old we can charge the difference, and when we do sell we can show the value of the ones outstanding.
RIki.
Oh yes, VA does permit expiration dates...but if they are not used within the specified period, the money must be turned over to the state as unclaimed funds. That's why most don't put on dates.

California does not allow expiration dates for gift certificates that are sold. (Gift certificates received as a result of a non-profit donation such as through an auction are not sold so can expire).
That's just one reason I'm not especially keen on GCs.

RIki.
Oh yes, VA does permit expiration dates...but if they are not used within the specified period, the money must be turned over to the state as unclaimed funds. That's why most don't put on dates.
catlady said:
Sorry I didn't remember correctly. I knew there was a reason I was not putting them on...thanks El
RIki

Let me throw this out there for some contemplation...I received a request for a GC purchase last month. The caller wanted the GC used during a period we were running a special so had me make out the GC 'to be used'...and the dates. I put that on the GC but also stated it could be used anytime for the face value.
My dilemma is that the purchaser also sent a check at the same time to be used for something else (not wanting to put what for as it's searchable). The guests have not called to make a rez and the time frame is fast closing for using the check for its intended purpose.
My thought is to email the purchaser and ask what she wants done with the check- send it back to her or give it to the people it is intended for. Is that what you would do? My guess is she knows the recipients have not used the GC, but maybe she doesn't and now she would. And would it matter? (I can't cash the check, it is not made out to me.)

Thank you for this very reliable and informative post. I know all of us are concern when it comes to our family health and all we want is only the best for them, that's why I'd like to share this article that I read regarding on what we should do to provide good health to our family. The expiration date that seems on packaged food is complicated to a lot of people, largely as a result of phrases used, such as “Best Before,” “Sell By” or “Use By.” Is food still secure to eat on that date, or somewhat after that date? Let's think about saving money by understanding what is that expiration date means. Article source: discover far more from https://personalmoneynetwork.com/

Back