Explanation for being away from Forum

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeannineIrish

Reaction score
For those of you who knew me from being on the Forum here's somewhat of an explanation of why I have been away (from the forum anyway). The rest of you can ignore the thread if you want.
Shortly after my Dad turned 90 a year ago March he entered a Skilled Nursing Facility the specialized in Alzheimer's patients. He was at the point where my step Mom could no longer handle him at home. He needed more one on one attention and one of the day programs that he attended said that they did not have the staff to devote just to him. It was a wonderful facility and gave all of us peace of mind. However seeing to his needs and my step Mom's began to take up more and more of my time.
At the same time the arthritis in my knees was getting worse. After a couple of months at PT and getting cortisone shots I joined a gym to strengthen the muscles in my legs should I require surgery. All this time hubby and I continued to run the B & B. I literally had no time left for the forum.
Dad passed in August after three weeks in the geriatric psych ward of the local hospital because he attacked a staff member at the nursing home. With men especially as the disease progresses their behavior becomes more unpredictable and the only recourse at this time is to administer anti-psychotic drugs which are not FDA approved to be given to elderly dememtia patients and are dangerous.
Our son and his fiance set a wedding date for February 2009. Since I had good days and bad days with my knees I finally decided to schedule surgery three months befor the wedding with the goal of dancing with my son at his wedding. We closed down November 16 and the surgery took place on November 19. I had bitlateral toal knee replacements. The surgery went very well and I was home exactly two weeks after surgery having spent 3 days in the hospital and 1 1/2 weeks in Rehab. A week later I was going to outpatient therapy and two months after surgery I was back at the gym. We were shut down for 2 1/2 months for my recovery.
Luckily we have had a very good year since reopening in February. The present economy has not effected us since we are an urban B & B near Yale.
So people that is my story. I don't know how often I will be here on the Forum because lately I haven't even been able to get to the gym more than once a week but we are taking walks which I had not been able to do for a few years.
Bless you all.

Wow! What a lot you have handled in a short time. Sorry about your dad. Happy about you getting to dance with your son at his wedding and that you are hopefully in a lot less pain now.

You have my sympathy for all you went through in such a short time. Having been there with the Big A as we call it in our family, I am happy for your Dad that he was mercifully released from the Hell that is the Big A. and can now be at peace.
Congrats on acquiring a daughter-in-law. May they be very happy. And may you have a lovely walk in your future often.

Welcome back, Jeannine!
welcome.gif
I missed you and I'm glad for the update. I hope you are getting around really well these days. My sil had bilateral knee replacements several years ago & it made a huge difference for her.
Congrats on the wedding! I hope you had a memorable dance with your son.
regular_smile.gif

Stop by when you can....

Welcome back! We missed you!
I'm way behind in reading but I'm hanging in here... even when I'm swamped busy I find time for a few minutes a day. Sometimes I think maybe I should go for walks instead... but at least I can pop in here for five minutes here and there!
So sorry about your dad, but happy about the rest!
=)
Kk.

Again, glad to see you back!! Sorry about the loss of your Dad, but you know that he is now his old self and dancing with the angels. Congrats on the new knees and new daughter-in-law...
See ya around when you can...

So sorry for your loss Jeanne. And I hope you are doing better. Drop by when you can.

So sorry you lost you dad! What a lot you have been up to! That is great that your surgery went well! Enjoy your new family addition!
Riki

Again, glad to see you back!! Sorry about the loss of your Dad, but you know that he is now his old self and dancing with the angels. Congrats on the new knees and new daughter-in-law...
See ya around when you can....
Oh, he loved to dance. What a nice thought that he is dancing with the angels or with my Mom as she loved to dance and we lost way too young. But he did get a second chance at love and was married to my step mom for over 30 years.
They would have musical entertainment every Sunday afternoon at the nursing home. That's when I would go and we would go to the back of the room and I would dance with him.

Oh, he loved to dance. What a nice thought that he is dancing with the angels or with my Mom as she loved to dance and we lost way too young. But he did get a second chance at love and was married to my step mom for over 30 years.
They would have musical entertainment every Sunday afternoon at the nursing home. That's when I would go and we would go to the back of the room and I would dance with him.
JeannineIrish said:
That's when I would go and we would go to the back of the room and I would dance with him.
Tears are officially running down my cheeks now

Awwwwwwwww...that is sweet. You have great memories, even when he was declining. Hang in there!

Awwwwwwwww...that is sweet. You have great memories, even when he was declining. Hang in there!
I would visit him on a day that my mom (step) didn't visit him. It was just him and me. I did cherish those visits.

Sorry for all your struggles and loss Jeannine. You have been missed here. Thank you for sharing your life with us.

Back