Extra Person Charge

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KatesCottage161

Reaction score
I will be opening my B&B in the spring and I am working out the room rates.I have only two guest rooms but can accommodate a rollaway in one of the rooms for a third person. My rates will be based on double occupancy and I'm not sure how to go about pricing for the extra person, especially if the person is another adult and not a family member. Is there a standard percentage rate for an extra person charge, or do I just randomly choose a number?
Thanks, Kate

Randomly choose a number? No, it's not just grabbing it out of the air. Some thought goes into the process. What will it cost to server another person breakfast, as well as snacks, extra soap and amenities used, and what's it worth to you to clean and deal with extra towels and bed linens, setting up and taking down the extra bed, etc.?
See this discussion, which was still active just yesterday: https://www.innspiring.com/node/13932

"especially if the person is another adult and not a family member"
It shouldn't matter whether they are a family member or not. They are still an extra person and should be charged. As Arkie said add in the additional costs. I charge $25 per extra person. Others charge $35 - $50. You decide what it is worth to you. Oh yeah..and how comfortable is that extra rollaway. You may get complaints if over $25 and not a good sleep.

Randomly choose a number? No, it's not just grabbing it out of the air. Some thought goes into the process. What will it cost to server another person breakfast, as well as snacks, extra soap and amenities used, and what's it worth to you to clean and deal with extra towels and bed linens, setting up and taking down the extra bed, etc.?
See this discussion, which was still active just yesterday: https://www.innspiring.com/node/13932.
These are exactly the things that I was considering! I wondered if I should divide the room rate into a "per person" rate, but you are correct in that they will not have as nice a bed in which to sleep. Thank you for your input. I was already hovering around the $20-$25 price range, but wasn't sure what the industry does.

Since you're a start up b&b I would suggest that you not put anything on your website about an additional person charge. Don't offer a 3rd person option until you've got some experience and see what kind of travelers you get. The 3rd person usually is in the form of a child. Do you allow children? Do you want children? With only 2 rooms, there will be a certain atmosphere you've created. The 3rd person, no matter whether an adult or a child will definitely change that atmosphere.
For whatever my 2 cents are worth, put that decision off for the future and see how things go with your two rooms.

Who are you planning to attract? Do you have colleges in the area where the rollaway might be for a teen? You can do that on a situational basis - ie: when the parents call and say their kid will sleep on the floor, then you trot out the rollaway.
I will say the PO's here had a rollaway. I have ZERO idea what room they thought that was appropriate in!!! Plus, they stored it in the shed. It smells and it's full of dust and bugs. I should just sell the frame and get it out of here.
Otherwise, if that rollaway is for an adult it's not my cup of tea. I would not want to be the 'friend' who sleeps on the rollaway.
We get a fair number of older couples who travel with mom and I wouldn't want to be the 70 yo sleeping on the rollaway, either!

Since you're a start up b&b I would suggest that you not put anything on your website about an additional person charge. Don't offer a 3rd person option until you've got some experience and see what kind of travelers you get. The 3rd person usually is in the form of a child. Do you allow children? Do you want children? With only 2 rooms, there will be a certain atmosphere you've created. The 3rd person, no matter whether an adult or a child will definitely change that atmosphere.
For whatever my 2 cents are worth, put that decision off for the future and see how things go with your two rooms..
Children over 12 are permitted at my inn. I was thinking of three women traveling together and how I could accommodate them in the same room. It would be very tight. I am now considering not offering the rollaway at all, having read the many posts on this very topic from last Thursday. Thank you for your advice.

I know some places (in Europe especially) charge per person. I have always charged per room - one person or two - because I still have to wash the sheets and change the linen whether 1 or 2. I still have to get up and make a breakfast. I have done the "third person" and I can tell you it was not worth it. I now say, oh, you will need 2 rooms. Only a pack n play will be set up - and I prefer not to do that.

For whatever my 2 cents are worth, put that decision off for the future and see how things go with your two rooms..
Children over 12 are permitted at my inn. I was thinking of three women traveling together and how I could accommodate them in the same room. It would be very tight. I am now considering not offering the rollaway at all, having read the many posts on this very topic from last Thursday. Thank you for your advice.
KatesCottage161 said:
We get this a lot. But, some of our rooms have 2 beds so the space is already dedicated. Take this as an example - a few weeks ago 3 adults stayed here. HUGE suitcases in one room really meant for 2 guests and maybe a little kid. And, they wanted to bring in a wheelchair also. I have no idea how they fit all of that in one room. They would not spend $20 more for a huge room.
If you want to encourage guests to take both rooms you could always give a little discount to 'groups' of friends traveling together.

Figure out your break even point. What does it cost you for that extra person, breakfast, amenities (soap, shampoo, chocolate, cookies, etc) and laundry (including wear and tear) and other items like sheets. Then add a markup to that. We charge $15 extra per person. It should lie somewhere between it's cheap enough and it's not going to get on my nerves that they packed a third person in there.

Back