Extras at the breakfast table.

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Farmers Daughter

Reaction score
This weekend we have a family who has booked the whole Inn for use as 'homebase' for a local wedding. I dread these things, for OH SO MANY reasons.
Our breakfast table seats 8 max. One of the rooms will have a 4 year old on a rollaway. I have no room for this child at the breakfast table. We only do 1 seating at breakfast. Any ideas on how to fit one more? Plus we have no high chairs or anything like that.

UNLESS it is an independent little sucker! But it is all in the family so do not sweat it. Do you have a TV table or a low "end table" or even a crate? Put a tablecloth over it at the side out of the way of foot traffic and IF it is a where is MY place kid (or even if it is not) you can make the kid special with his own table and "special" breakfast. Put down a pillow for the chair.
That is only if you feel the "need" for a place for the kid to eat.

Make sure you tell the parents that and they should know to bring the kid's booster seat or something to accommodate him.

I needed a smile today, look out!
A four year old on a rollaway
that is too funny!
Parents can pull a chair up and feed them off to the side without being seated at the table, this is what so many parents do with toddlers anyway. Or they will hold the child on their lap and feed them at the table. I wouldn't fret over it. Or they will walk around with the child and just feed them after.

Joe Bloggs said:
Parents can pull a chair up and feel them off to the side without being seated at the table.....
????????????????!!!!!!!!.
And how can you not feel the kid when giving them a well-placed, well-timed whack off to the side without being seated at the table.
gillumhouse said:
And how can you not feel the kid when giving them a well-placed, well-timed whack off to the side without being seated at the table.
Violence against children? tsk. tsk.

Joe Bloggs said:
Parents can pull a chair up and feel them off to the side without being seated at the table.....
????????????????!!!!!!!!.
gillumhouse said:
Violence against children? tsk. tsk.
Yep, I know at least 10 raised by the swat principle that turned out working, actually paying their taxes, and not on any welfare rolls, who are not seeing a shrink and are polite to their elders and do not swear wth every other word. I know it is shocking but it happened.

A 4 year old is too old to sit in your lap and eat. I like Gillum House's idea of putting them at a coffee table, etc or just pull up another chair and they can sit at the end/corner and mom & dad can squish in!
I think if you are going to take a reservation and allow another person in the Inn you need to accomodate them for breakfast.....be it a child or adult.

I would just squeeze in an extra chair next to Mom or Dad and not worry about a full place setting. Or just ask the parents what they'd like to do.
And I feel for you, I hate these kinds of things too...expect no consideration for you, the house, the rules, etc. We're on vacation!

Just some thoughts from the mom of a 4yo:
Are you charging in any way for the child to stay there? I know breakfast is complimentary, but are you charging an extra person in the room fee? If so, as the person paying the bill, I would have my nose bent out of joint if my kid didn't have a place to sit and eat his meal. A little squished is okay - s/he's four, doesn't need the same amount of space as an adult.
I agree with a previous poster - so far, our current 4yo and his older brother (when he was 4) are/were far too large to sit on someone's lap for a meal.
I also wouldn't object to two seatings - one breakfast seating of 6, then a second one of 3 (mom, dad & kiddo). I'm not trying to suggest extra work for you - I'm just saying it's an option that I, as a parent, wouldn't object to. Or give them the choice: two seatings (with parents & child eating after everyone else) or sit squished up.
The small table is a good idea. My (current) 4yo might or might not like sitting alone at a special table. I think that depends on the child - my 6yo would have *loved* it - he would have felt like a little prince. I might go a bit further though - maybe get some of the cheap but cute melamine plates to make a nice setting. If I were the innkeeper, it would be well worth the money (depending on where you look, $3-5 for a full place setting - plate, cup, flatware) to know that my real plates and glasses would not be in danger of breakage. To be honest, I carry a set of these with us when we travel. It gives me peace of mind. No matter how well behaved a 4yo is, accidents happen.

Just some thoughts from the mom of a 4yo:
Are you charging in any way for the child to stay there? I know breakfast is complimentary, but are you charging an extra person in the room fee? If so, as the person paying the bill, I would have my nose bent out of joint if my kid didn't have a place to sit and eat his meal. A little squished is okay - s/he's four, doesn't need the same amount of space as an adult.
I agree with a previous poster - so far, our current 4yo and his older brother (when he was 4) are/were far too large to sit on someone's lap for a meal.
I also wouldn't object to two seatings - one breakfast seating of 6, then a second one of 3 (mom, dad & kiddo). I'm not trying to suggest extra work for you - I'm just saying it's an option that I, as a parent, wouldn't object to. Or give them the choice: two seatings (with parents & child eating after everyone else) or sit squished up.
The small table is a good idea. My (current) 4yo might or might not like sitting alone at a special table. I think that depends on the child - my 6yo would have *loved* it - he would have felt like a little prince. I might go a bit further though - maybe get some of the cheap but cute melamine plates to make a nice setting. If I were the innkeeper, it would be well worth the money (depending on where you look, $3-5 for a full place setting - plate, cup, flatware) to know that my real plates and glasses would not be in danger of breakage. To be honest, I carry a set of these with us when we travel. It gives me peace of mind. No matter how well behaved a 4yo is, accidents happen..
In my silverplate flatware is a set of children's (if I have more than one I am screwed) but I set a place for the child - same as the adults but with a salad/dessert plate instead of the large one and I have one of my lighter-weight wine goblets for the child. Accidents happen to adults as well as children and i do not sweat the small stuff. I DO understand her dilemma regarding seating which is why I suggested a "special table" and it should be presented as such - because you are such a special person, we have your own table for you....... I make a big deal about the kid sitting in the high chair at the end of the table, referring to it as your throne Prince(ess)___ so it is no longer a "baby" chair if the kid is older.

I think that the idea of having a chair on the side that is what we did last week and it was just fine...

We have an old farm-style table with four chairs and a bench. It will seat 6 adults comfortably, but in a pinch could seat one more.

The problem has solved itself. The bride and groom are having a brunch tomorrow morning and the couple with the child are not having breakfast with us in leu of the brunch. *whew*

Back