Eyesore or Environmentally sound?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess I must be weird. Last summer, I helped the owner hang the sheets while we discussed which part of the beach across the road belonged to them. I can't imagine with current energy issues that anyone would have a problem with line drying!

I appear to be out-numbered, although I DID say backyard.
I did not take offense with you FD. Just sticks in the craw sometimes the way "some people" have to look down their snooty noses at people who are just trying to get along and save money. It really does not take me long to hang sheets and I fold as I take them down so that is no biggie. You have to do as the PTB determine, whether it makes more work for you or not. I am grateful that I AM the PTB! At least as long as it does not conflict with DH.

First let me apologize for the use of the aforemetioned inappropriate discriptive terms used by those other than myself. That statement does not reflect my own personal views. Sorry for any offense.
Second, let me explain why I think it would make my life easier.
I do laundry constantly. I average 6 to 8 loads a day. There is only one washer and dryer. The dryer is a 10 year old Neptune and has seen better days.
If I could use the dryer only for the towels and hang the sheets, I feel it would free up a lot of time for me. At the completion of the towels, I can toss the sheets in for a few mins on fluff and Iron only as needed..
You will probably have an easier time of it getting them to buy another dryer. I totally get what you're up against with the laundry. We started off with 1 washer & 2 dryers and I'm up to 2 washers & 3 dryers. But, hauling it outside to hang? No siree. That would not amke my life easier. Tree sap, seagulls, caterpillars, neighborhood animals would all conspire against me!
On a total flip, we will do up to 10 loads for that day. And that's just the everyday stuff. Then there are the blankets, quilts, duvets & mattress pads which I stick in on 'slow' days. How about a laundry service?
Morticia said:
You will probably have an easier time of it getting them to buy another dryer.
Easy or not, sounds like it's time to at least bring up the subject of an additional dryer with the PTB.

We do our best to be an environmentally responsible business and have a Gold award for this, so the dryer is a last resort. Therefore I don't have a problem with guests seeing bed linen on the line, I agree with birdwatcher though, I don't think it's appropriate for guests to see personal clothes out, particluarly underwear.
Having said that we are a 3 room B&B, and I can appreciate that for people with more rooms line drying is time consuming. Also, guests can see our line, but it's not immediate visible when you come up the drive, although given our green policy I wouldn't have a problem with that if they could.

Like "One Day" I hang B&B items in my basement. Towels I dry for 30 min (6 bath sheets per load) then finish drying on the basement lines. Come out fluffy this way. Other items are dried this way but mostly bath sheets. This works for me being a "green" B&B. Iam in the middle of town on 3/4 acre, so outside drying is not an option. I have public streets on 3 sides of my property.Mary in Bridgewater.

As long as they are not interfearing with where people are walking as well as I popped round to my neighbours and she was hanging out at the back and I had to climb under sheets to get in which as a guest I wouldn't be impressed with.

First let me apologize for the use of the aforemetioned inappropriate discriptive terms used by those other than myself. That statement does not reflect my own personal views. Sorry for any offense.
I do laundry constantly. I average 6 to 8 loads a day. There is only one washer and dryer. The dryer is a 10 year old Neptune and has seen better days.
If I could use the dryer only for the towels and hang the sheets, I feel it would free up a lot of time for me. At the completion of the towels, I can toss the sheets in for a few mins on fluff and Iron only as needed..
You will probably have an easier time of it getting them to buy another dryer. I totally get what you're up against with the laundry. We started off with 1 washer & 2 dryers and I'm up to 2 washers & 3 dryers. But, hauling it outside to hang? No siree. That would not amke my life easier. Tree sap, seagulls, caterpillars, neighborhood animals would all conspire against me!
On a total flip, we will do up to 10 loads for that day. And that's just the everyday stuff. Then there are the blankets, quilts, duvets & mattress pads which I stick in on 'slow' days. How about a laundry service?
We tried that when we were smaller, but since the renovation and additional rooms it became cost prohibitive.
If an additional dryer is out, what about investing in a front end loader, high efficiency washer? This has cut down on our drying time dramatically as the he machine spins so much of the excess water out. The washer can handle 4 queen size sheet sets, and the dryer can dry all that on one cycle.
We have 9 rooms, on a total flip ends up being about 7 loads of wash for us.

We tried that when we were smaller, but since the renovation and additional rooms it became cost prohibitive.
If an additional dryer is out, what about investing in a front end loader, high efficiency washer? This has cut down on our drying time dramatically as the he machine spins so much of the excess water out. The washer can handle 4 queen size sheet sets, and the dryer can dry all that on one cycle.
I must have gotten the worst washer-dryer combo on the planet. My combo does 2 queen sets at a time and that's it. So, full strip for me is 11 beds and it takes forever.

Unfortunately, just to explain for our o/s innkeepers, in this country it is looked down upon to dry laundry naturally (therefore the comments orig made by the PTB mentioned by FD). It is not that way o/s for the most part, it is common sense to use the sun. This is an area where I actually feel guilt putting stuff into the dryer when it is hot and dry outside. So I can understand both sides of the equation.
It is the same notion when you hear innkeepers upset when guests hand wash items and hang them out, it is just not done here.

I must have gotten the worst washer-dryer combo on the planet. My combo does 2 queen sets at a time and that's it. So, full strip for me is 11 beds and it takes forever.
That was the case with our old (non-HE) washer. The new one also does 4 full sets of towels and the dryer can do that all in one cycle. It's been a life saver. And of course hubs who is an engineer could show you the spread sheet with the calcs that prove how much less water and detergent we are using, as well as the cost and time savings
regular_smile.gif

I think you also need to ask yourself if the guests you get are like the PTB? If so, you have your answer. If not, gather some hard evidence that bookings will go up if you show a line of sheets drying on your website.
There is an innkeeper here who posts photos on FB of her sheets drying in the sun and she gets raves about it.

That was the case with our old (non-HE) washer. The new one also does 4 full sets of towels and the dryer can do that all in one cycle. It's been a life saver. And of course hubs who is an engineer could show you the spread sheet with the calcs that prove how much less water and detergent we are using, as well as the cost and time savings
regular_smile.gif

Mine is an HE washer. LG brand. I'm about ready to give up on front loaders altogether.

regular_smile.gif

Mine is an HE washer. LG brand. I'm about ready to give up on front loaders altogether.
I like the commercial now that says it does 31 towels at once!!! Come on...how could 31 full size towels possibly get clean in such a small drum??? I can't even imagine stuffing in 31 towels. I will not get a front loader...Cabrio is for me when the time comes.

Cabrio is great, but NOT for large heavy quilts (when wet)...nothing works well to wash or dry them really...they always go off balance and you end up messing with them. I spent yonks yesterday to get that quilt done, now it is hanging over the laundry room door to dry.

regular_smile.gif

Rupert said:
regular_smile.gif
Do you mind letting us know which brand you have? I'm thinking the Samsung seems to be getting the best reviews.
Riki

regular_smile.gif

Rupert said:
regular_smile.gif
Do you mind letting us know which brand you have? I'm thinking the Samsung seems to be getting the best reviews.
Riki
Ours is the Maytag commercial, have had it 3 years now and have been 100% satisfied with it. I have heard some horror stories about all brands though, I guess a "lemon" is always a possibility.

I appear to be out-numbered, although I DID say backyard.
I did not take offense with you FD. Just sticks in the craw sometimes the way "some people" have to look down their snooty noses at people who are just trying to get along and save money. It really does not take me long to hang sheets and I fold as I take them down so that is no biggie. You have to do as the PTB determine, whether it makes more work for you or not. I am grateful that I AM the PTB! At least as long as it does not conflict with DH..
You have to remember that you're not comparing apples to apples with your place & FD's place. It would be a whole lot easier to hang laundry for your number of rooms and occupancy vs. what she is up against!

Cabrio is great, but NOT for large heavy quilts (when wet)...nothing works well to wash or dry them really...they always go off balance and you end up messing with them. I spent yonks yesterday to get that quilt done, now it is hanging over the laundry room door to dry..
The big comforters like that here....I had to take them to the laundromat to use the commercial washer & dryer. It is what it is, as they say.....

Wow Rupert, you must have a real large capacity washer! Mine is a 4.3cu. ft. one and I can only place 3 queen sheet sets in - washing the pillow cases seperately - but I prefer to only wash 2.5 sets at a time to ensure proper cleaning. I just counted my last towel load - 6 sets of heavy towels.
I believe ours said it was a large load capacity washer... for Samsung HE I think there are 3 capacity sizes - reg., large and extra large. I am sure this is the case with most brands so comaring how much a each front loader will hold would also depend on the cu. ft size of the drum.

i agree with catlady. i find carrying loads of wash outside, hanging it to dry, bringing it in, then folding and putting away a lot more work than using the dryer. just a little personal laundry i might like it, but not inn laundry. sheets and towels and various items for multiple rooms! wow! now an heirloom quilt or two i could see ....
it is great for the environment, great for the laundry i think (as long as you don't have seagulls that use it for target practice) but the owners have the say on this one.
some people don't want to see laundry hanging outside ... as a guest, which room would have a view of the laundry? judging from the 'snob zoning' rules against clotheslines, your guests might not like it. besides, you know they think all chores are magically done by the housekeeping fairies!.
I'm also glad that someone else talked about the work involved in line drying laundry for a lot of rooms. Plus, it's so hot & humid here that I would be dead from heat stroke lugging all that in and out in the heat here. It was easier to pop in & out of the laundry rooms while doing something else and swapping out loads of wash. The machines went all afternoon and into the early evening here.

Back