Eyesore or Environmentally sound?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First let me apologize for the use of the aforemetioned inappropriate discriptive terms used by those other than myself. That statement does not reflect my own personal views. Sorry for any offense.
Second, let me explain why I think it would make my life easier.
I do laundry constantly. I average 6 to 8 loads a day. There is only one washer and dryer. The dryer is a 10 year old Neptune and has seen better days.
If I could use the dryer only for the towels and hang the sheets, I feel it would free up a lot of time for me. At the completion of the towels, I can toss the sheets in for a few mins on fluff and Iron only as needed..
You will probably have an easier time of it getting them to buy another dryer. I totally get what you're up against with the laundry. We started off with 1 washer & 2 dryers and I'm up to 2 washers & 3 dryers. But, hauling it outside to hang? No siree. That would not amke my life easier. Tree sap, seagulls, caterpillars, neighborhood animals would all conspire against me!
On a total flip, we will do up to 10 loads for that day. And that's just the everyday stuff. Then there are the blankets, quilts, duvets & mattress pads which I stick in on 'slow' days. How about a laundry service?
We tried that when we were smaller, but since the renovation and additional rooms it became cost prohibitive.
If an additional dryer is out, what about investing in a front end loader, high efficiency washer? This has cut down on our drying time dramatically as the he machine spins so much of the excess water out. The washer can handle 4 queen size sheet sets, and the dryer can dry all that on one cycle.
We have 9 rooms, on a total flip ends up being about 7 loads of wash for us.
I must have gotten the worst washer-dryer combo on the planet. My combo does 2 queen sets at a time and that's it. So, full strip for me is 11 beds and it takes forever.
That was the case with our old (non-HE) washer. The new one also does 4 full sets of towels and the dryer can do that all in one cycle. It's been a life saver. And of course hubs who is an engineer could show you the spread sheet with the calcs that prove how much less water and detergent we are using, as well as the cost and time savings
regular_smile.gif

Mine is an HE washer. LG brand. I'm about ready to give up on front loaders altogether.
I like the commercial now that says it does 31 towels at once!!! Come on...how could 31 full size towels possibly get clean in such a small drum??? I can't even imagine stuffing in 31 towels. I will not get a front loader...Cabrio is for me when the time comes.
catlady said:
I like the commercial now that says it does 31 towels at once!!! Come on...how could 31 full size towels possibly get clean in such a small drum??? I can't even imagine stuffing in 31 towels. I will not get a front loader...Cabrio is for me when the time comes.
Two things to think about here - 1) it would depend on the size of the drum, the extra large capacity ones do hold a heck of a lot; and 2) if they are using those thin $2-3 towels they just might fit 31 in that large unit!
Commercials have a great way of stretching the truth - just think about those W opper commercials - with a hugh meat patty and piled high with all the extras - of course they forgot to show you the 'other side' of that burger with nothing but bun meeting bun.
wink_smile.gif

First let me apologize for the use of the aforemetioned inappropriate discriptive terms used by those other than myself. That statement does not reflect my own personal views. Sorry for any offense.
Second, let me explain why I think it would make my life easier.
I do laundry constantly. I average 6 to 8 loads a day. There is only one washer and dryer. The dryer is a 10 year old Neptune and has seen better days.
If I could use the dryer only for the towels and hang the sheets, I feel it would free up a lot of time for me. At the completion of the towels, I can toss the sheets in for a few mins on fluff and Iron only as needed..
You will probably have an easier time of it getting them to buy another dryer. I totally get what you're up against with the laundry. We started off with 1 washer & 2 dryers and I'm up to 2 washers & 3 dryers. But, hauling it outside to hang? No siree. That would not amke my life easier. Tree sap, seagulls, caterpillars, neighborhood animals would all conspire against me!
On a total flip, we will do up to 10 loads for that day. And that's just the everyday stuff. Then there are the blankets, quilts, duvets & mattress pads which I stick in on 'slow' days. How about a laundry service?
We tried that when we were smaller, but since the renovation and additional rooms it became cost prohibitive.
If an additional dryer is out, what about investing in a front end loader, high efficiency washer? This has cut down on our drying time dramatically as the he machine spins so much of the excess water out. The washer can handle 4 queen size sheet sets, and the dryer can dry all that on one cycle.
We have 9 rooms, on a total flip ends up being about 7 loads of wash for us.
I must have gotten the worst washer-dryer combo on the planet. My combo does 2 queen sets at a time and that's it. So, full strip for me is 11 beds and it takes forever.
That was the case with our old (non-HE) washer. The new one also does 4 full sets of towels and the dryer can do that all in one cycle. It's been a life saver. And of course hubs who is an engineer could show you the spread sheet with the calcs that prove how much less water and detergent we are using, as well as the cost and time savings
regular_smile.gif

Mine is an HE washer. LG brand. I'm about ready to give up on front loaders altogether.
catlady said:
Two things to think about here - 1) it would depend on the size of the drum, the extra large capacity ones do hold a heck of a lot; and 2) if they are using those thin $2-3 towels they just might fit 31 in that large unit!
Commercials have a great way of stretching the truth - just think about those W opper commercials - with a hugh meat patty and piled high with all the extras - of course they forgot to show you the 'other side' of that burger with nothing but bun meeting bun.
wink_smile.gif

My dh always says that our 20 something son is taken in by the fast food burger ads on TV! haha.... He seems to order whatever is "new".
wink_smile.gif

I have a Bosch front end loader commercial washer that is fantastic! I would love to have a Bosch dryer too. I will work on convincing the PTB that another dryer is the way to go.
I was out most of today and we had an absolutely torrential storm hit. If I had sheets out on a line, they would have been ruined. Lesson learned.
embaressed_smile.gif

I don't know, the sight of the things drying on the line wouldn't bother me at all but I think I must be in the minority...growing up my mom line dried EVERYTHING and while the smell is nice it does not make up for the crinkly, tough feel. I love the feel of stuff fresh out of the dryer, soft and fluffy.

I don't know, the sight of the things drying on the line wouldn't bother me at all but I think I must be in the minority...growing up my mom line dried EVERYTHING and while the smell is nice it does not make up for the crinkly, tough feel. I love the feel of stuff fresh out of the dryer, soft and fluffy..
Until my mom had 2 kids, all of our laundry got hung out, too. We actually shared a clothesline with our neighbors across the alley. They used it on certain days, we had it on others.
After my brother ran thru the laundromat opening all the doors on the washers, dumping out the soap and water everywhere and my mother was banished, she went back to hanging the clothes out the window. (Once upon a time, there were no safety locks on washers, now you all know why there are!)

So it was your brother......................knew there was a reasonable explanation for the washing machine door lock

So it was your brother......................knew there was a reasonable explanation for the washing machine door lock.
Reminds me of the toddler lock on my parents' new dishwasher. Mom managed to lock herself out of the dishwasher many times.

our washer is a G E extra capacity and the dryer is a super capacity.. we can wash one full size sheet set plus 1 set of towels at one time. I like to dry my towels separately, tho. We have 5 guest rooms and when we are full and flipping rooms from 1 night stays I am so thankful for having 3 set of everything for each room. The washer and dryer were fairly new when we got here (going of 3 yrs now)

I love the smell of fresh sheets that have been hung out on the clothesline and I hang them whenever I can, but never when I have guests. My clothesline is mostly out of sight but not completely so I don't take the chance that a guest would be bothered by it. I also have the Whirlpool Duet washer and dryer. There is no way the washer could hold 16 pairs of jeans and get them clean, like they advertise. I do smaller loads and use the HE detergent and it's fine.

I have a Bosch front end loader commercial washer that is fantastic! I would love to have a Bosch dryer too. I will work on convincing the PTB that another dryer is the way to go.
I was out most of today and we had an absolutely torrential storm hit. If I had sheets out on a line, they would have been ruined. Lesson learned.
embaressed_smile.gif
The Farmers Daughter said:
I will work on convincing the PTB that another dryer is the way to go.
Nope. That didn't fly. I was told to dream on.
So now what? I am right back where I started. . . . I am so frustrated!
cry_smile.gif

embaressed_smile.gif
cry_smile.gif

You know, seriously, those clowns don't know a thing. The BIG problem, tho, is that you HAVE done without for too long and the thought is 'what's her problem?'
I'd tell you to do what my mother always did...buy the damn thing and then deal with the fallout...except I don't know how you get paid. It could come out of your salary!
Have you no leverage at all?
You need an outside 'expert' to explain this to them.

embaressed_smile.gif
cry_smile.gif

You know, seriously, those clowns don't know a thing. The BIG problem, tho, is that you HAVE done without for too long and the thought is 'what's her problem?'
I'd tell you to do what my mother always did...buy the damn thing and then deal with the fallout...except I don't know how you get paid. It could come out of your salary!
Have you no leverage at all?
You need an outside 'expert' to explain this to them.
Morticia said:
I'd tell you to do what my mother always did...buy the damn thing and then deal with the fallout...
Or as my old boss would say - Sometimes it is easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission!
If it would be that much of a help to you and they would not come through, would you consider purchasing it for yourself? Stating that if you ever left the partnership or left your duties there, that it would leave with you. (Not that I ever bought anything that costly when I worked the corp. world, but at times I did bring things to the office to help ME do my job easier. They had my name on them and they left with me.)

We do our best to be an environmentally responsible business and have a Gold award for this, so the dryer is a last resort. Therefore I don't have a problem with guests seeing bed linen on the line, I agree with birdwatcher though, I don't think it's appropriate for guests to see personal clothes out, particluarly underwear.
Having said that we are a 3 room B&B, and I can appreciate that for people with more rooms line drying is time consuming. Also, guests can see our line, but it's not immediate visible when you come up the drive, although given our green policy I wouldn't have a problem with that if they could..
Undies get hung on the first line and the shirts and other innkeeper laundry hangs on the lines in front ot it so "personal" items are neve on view. If possible - sheets are the view from the alley.
And it is true - I an NOT upscale and have no desire to me. I am juse me and in Podunk. Less problems that way. Now if I could just find a way to silence DH that is legal......

I love sheets fresh off the line myself.
But I seriously do not see how this would make your life easier. It's a lot easier to toss those sheets right in the dryer and take them out while they're still warm.
Would I do it at an inn? Depends entirely on the setting. I can certainly see some places getting away with it.
But for most inns, no I don't think it would work.
And I'm guessing that since the owner vetoed the idea, the demographics at your inn would not be a good match, FD..
While we were waiting on the electrician, I did over 60 loads of bedding at the laundromat and brought it back to hang outside. (Many trips!) I remembered the way the PO hung the sheets, not over the line, but lengthwise with the edges clipped to the line. I found that doing this most of the wrinkles in the all cotton sheets came out, and it was very easy to fold them as I took them down, much easier than folding them out of the dryer once we got it going. I do like the smell of air dried linens, but all that said, I just ordered a big new dryer!

But I seriously do not see how this would make your life easier. It's a lot easier to toss those sheets right in the dryer and take them out while they're still warm.
Would I do it at an inn? Depends entirely on the setting. I can certainly see some places getting away with it.
And I'm guessing that since the owner vetoed the idea, the demographics at your inn would not be a good match, FD..
While we were waiting on the electrician, I did over 60 loads of bedding at the laundromat and brought it back to hang outside. (Many trips!) I remembered the way the PO hung the sheets, not over the line, but lengthwise with the edges clipped to the line. I found that doing this most of the wrinkles in the all cotton sheets came out, and it was very easy to fold them as I took them down, much easier than folding them out of the dryer once we got it going. I do like the smell of air dried linens, but all that said, I just ordered a big new dryer!
Yes, line drying them does lessen the wrinkles (I always forget to unload the dryer right away - and my new dryer being a cheap model does not have a "come empty me because I am done" buzzer) although since I am not a great folder, they still get creases in the wrong places.
As hot as it has been, I was not happy hanging them..... or taking them down!

Two years ago my washer died and I had to go to the laundromat for over a week. More like 2 weeks. Everyday. 8 loads of wash. At least. It got me out of the house for 2 hours but that was about all it was good for. As much as I hate laundry, I'd rather do it at home where I can do 50 other things at the same time!
Hanging out the laundry with 8 loads/day, just isn't going to happen here! I'd be taking up half the yard with the clothesline.

Go for it!!!
In some countries you see sheets hanging outside in small hotels even. Some countries NEVER use dryers.

Back