Face Book Question

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillumhouse

Reaction score
Now that they changed FB, I have no clue how anyone in finding my biz page. My question is when I get a message like this one: xxxxxxxxx Accessories likes Gillum House Bed & Breakfast am i supposed to do something? If so, what?
I go on my biz page and I cannot seem to do anything with it. The list of "friends" offers me the opportunity to make all of them admin on my page - how nice is that? I admit to being a numbnutz with this stuff. Most of what I got when I went on it was people posting gibberish I did not want to know and tagging me with games I was not about to risk a virus with. One reason I rarely sign in.

You can acknowledge those folks who now like your page by stating in your status: Thanks Hobo Accessories! You don't have to like them back unless you want to.
I don't acknowledge the ones that seem to be just looking for a place to spam.
K- if you want to join the FB world you really need to add a photo to that big empty space at the top of your page! I will send you a 'how to' that our B&B association sent out. It has a link to a website with step by step how to's and why you want to.
If you don't want to, that's ok, too.

gillumhouse said:
I go on my biz page and I cannot seem to do anything with it.
Once you get your page set up you don't have a lot more to do. It's mainly a place that lists a description of your business, contact info, etc. for people to check out. It's just another website for your business.
Occasionally, go to the "Write something..." box, under Status, and write the same sort of stuff you put on your blog (only perhaps more brief). People who "like" your page will then be notified of what you wrote. Don't do it as often as you post to your blog, though, because you don't want to wear your contacts out with posts too often. Just occasionally, to make them think of you and perhaps want to return.
Think of a "like" as being a subscription to your blog. Whatever you write is broadcasted to your like list.
(Technically, I think through some formula, your posts aren't sent to ALL your contacts, but it's sent to most of them.)

You can acknowledge those folks who now like your page by stating in your status: Thanks Hobo Accessories! You don't have to like them back unless you want to.
I don't acknowledge the ones that seem to be just looking for a place to spam.
K- if you want to join the FB world you really need to add a photo to that big empty space at the top of your page! I will send you a 'how to' that our B&B association sent out. It has a link to a website with step by step how to's and why you want to.
If you don't want to, that's ok, too..
[h2]Send please!![/h2]
I think I found it. Thank you.

I usually post a link to my latest blog entry. Facebook is very hard to make into $$$ for most people.

Thank you to those who have looked at the photo. I was afraid the photo would not look inviting.

I put your B&B in the search and it came right up. Then I switched to my B&B account and it didn't come up. The facebook search is so weird and goofy. I too doubt that people can find us.

I put your B&B in the search and it came right up. Then I switched to my B&B account and it didn't come up. The facebook search is so weird and goofy. I too doubt that people can find us..
toddburme said:
I put your B&B in the search and it came right up. Then I switched to my B&B account and it didn't come up. The facebook search is so weird and goofy. I too doubt that people can find us.
I find it easier to find businesses as myself than as the biz page. I'll find the page I want and copy the link info and then go to my biz page to like the other page. It's a pain. For weeks the button at the top of the page that lets me switch back and forth between me and the biz has been missing. There are weeks when my stats page refuses to load. But, hey, it's free right? You get what you pay for.

I have been very active with our Facebook page. So many people, including myself, are on Facebook way too much so we're trying to get into their status streams so we can get more exposure.
As a Page, you can Like other Pages. I've done this with all the other local businesses that have a Facebook presence as well as Pages for the Forestry Division, Sheriff's Dept, State Parks, etc. When in admin mode, I can see my Page's wall which includes all the status updates of the other Pages that I have Liked - just like looking at your own personal wall to see what family & friends are up to. This helps me keep up with what's going on in town. I can then Share things from other Pages onto my wall - such as an event at the local winery, an accident closing down our main thoroughfare, sale going on at the furniture store, etc. The other business can see that I've shared their link (creating goodwill) and I've created another chance for our audience to see our name on their feeds.
I also created a Google calendar (free) with all the events happening in the local 3 county area. I was able to make a special tab on our FB page that shows our calendar. I'll regularly post events - again to get our name in people's feeds and build loyalty (I want them to come to us for the most extensive event calendar).
We regularly ask our guests if they are on FB and then ask them to Check-In (a FB feature that lets others see where an individual is located) and to Like our page. We've had guests post great reviews on our page. I also post comments from our in-house guest book. Just this weekend I got a new Like on our page because someone on the Scenic Railway was talking about their stay with us and how much they enjoyed it. The new guy posted on our page that he Liked us as a result of that conversation.
I've been really pleased how well the page has taken off and the more Likes we get the more exposure we get. It's becoming an excellent marketing venue.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueRidgeInnBedandBreakfast

I put your B&B in the search and it came right up. Then I switched to my B&B account and it didn't come up. The facebook search is so weird and goofy. I too doubt that people can find us..
toddburme said:
I find it easier to find businesses as myself than as the biz page. I'll find the page I want and copy the link info and then go to my biz page to like the other page. It's a pain. For weeks the button at the top of the page that lets me switch back and forth between me and the biz has been missing. There are weeks when my stats page refuses to load. But, hey, it's free right? You get what you pay for.
Madeleine said:
Exactly - I was told I had to have a personal page to have a biz page so I did. I used to be able to flip back and forth. Now I cannot and I find navigating my biz page difficult and a pain. Not worth the effort almost. I will try to "get with it" more but try is the operative word.

I have been very active with our Facebook page. So many people, including myself, are on Facebook way too much so we're trying to get into their status streams so we can get more exposure.
As a Page, you can Like other Pages. I've done this with all the other local businesses that have a Facebook presence as well as Pages for the Forestry Division, Sheriff's Dept, State Parks, etc. When in admin mode, I can see my Page's wall which includes all the status updates of the other Pages that I have Liked - just like looking at your own personal wall to see what family & friends are up to. This helps me keep up with what's going on in town. I can then Share things from other Pages onto my wall - such as an event at the local winery, an accident closing down our main thoroughfare, sale going on at the furniture store, etc. The other business can see that I've shared their link (creating goodwill) and I've created another chance for our audience to see our name on their feeds.
I also created a Google calendar (free) with all the events happening in the local 3 county area. I was able to make a special tab on our FB page that shows our calendar. I'll regularly post events - again to get our name in people's feeds and build loyalty (I want them to come to us for the most extensive event calendar).
We regularly ask our guests if they are on FB and then ask them to Check-In (a FB feature that lets others see where an individual is located) and to Like our page. We've had guests post great reviews on our page. I also post comments from our in-house guest book. Just this weekend I got a new Like on our page because someone on the Scenic Railway was talking about their stay with us and how much they enjoyed it. The new guy posted on our page that he Liked us as a result of that conversation.
I've been really pleased how well the page has taken off and the more Likes we get the more exposure we get. It's becoming an excellent marketing venue.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueRidgeInnBedandBreakfast.
Where is it that lets you edit what is in the boxes "trip advisor reviews", "calendar". etc? I haven't been able t figure that out yet.

Holy cow! I'm putting my Google calendar out there! Thanks for the tip.
Well, I would put it out there if FB would let me access the app.

Where is it that lets you edit what is in the boxes "trip advisor reviews", "calendar". etc? I haven't been able t figure that out yet.
Breakfast Diva said:
At the top of your biz page click 'Edit Page', then select 'Apps'. You should see the app you want to edit in the list. Click the 'edit' button under the app.

I've been using an app called Woobox. I stumbled across it trying to find a program that would allow me to make a tab & put HTML on it. I used this ap once to create a Special - it had an expiration date, gave out custom discount codes, allowed you to set special requirements like "fan has to get 3 new likes on your page before they can get the discount code" or "fan has to share this page 5 times to get discount code" or "guest must Like the page before they can get discount code". Pretty neat. I just searched & played around until I found something that worked. I can't remember how I got TripAdivsor on there. I believe I found the instructions & link in TripAdvisor itself. You can do a Google search for "how do I add TripAdvisor reviews to my facebook page?" and you'll get some pages of instructions. That's how I figured it all out - googling & reading as much as I can. Each thing I read put one more piece of the puzzle in my head until I understood it.
Sorry I don't have specific instructions =( I fumbled so much trying to get it to work that I don't really remember what finally did it!

I've been using an app called Woobox. I stumbled across it trying to find a program that would allow me to make a tab & put HTML on it. I used this ap once to create a Special - it had an expiration date, gave out custom discount codes, allowed you to set special requirements like "fan has to get 3 new likes on your page before they can get the discount code" or "fan has to share this page 5 times to get discount code" or "guest must Like the page before they can get discount code". Pretty neat. I just searched & played around until I found something that worked. I can't remember how I got TripAdivsor on there. I believe I found the instructions & link in TripAdvisor itself. You can do a Google search for "how do I add TripAdvisor reviews to my facebook page?" and you'll get some pages of instructions. That's how I figured it all out - googling & reading as much as I can. Each thing I read put one more piece of the puzzle in my head until I understood it.
Sorry I don't have specific instructions =( I fumbled so much trying to get it to work that I don't really remember what finally did it!
Just waiting for FB to let me access the app. All I get is a blank page. I've got the code from Google Calendar, but no place to put it.

K9 said:
I also created a Google calendar (free) with all the events happening in the local 3 county area.
Just last weekend I discovered Localendar (Local Calendar) and have set it up for our tourism association to use as a local events calendar. It has several very nice features:
  • Anybody can add events to it, so one person doesn't have to do all the work. I currently have ours set that way (anybody can post), but I have it e-mail me when an event is posted so I can monitor it. If people start using it to post their yard sales and business advertisements, I'll make it where events don't post until I OK them.
  • A simple line of script can be embedded into any website so the same calendar can appear on the tourism assn. site, the city website, and any other website. See an example at the bottom of the page HERE .When somebody adds or updates an event on any website, it automatically updates on ALL websites that are displaying the calendar.
  • It's free for the basics. VERY cheap to add extra nice bells and whistles if you wish.
  • Event posts can include hyperlinks and photos to dress them up and give a "more information here" link to a different website if needed. You click an event on the calendar and it pops up full details on the event.
  • You can, optionally, have it display the weather forcast for your area on each day of the calendar.
I am real happy with it and am working to encourage all the local groups to use this as the one central portal for the whole county to use to post upcoming events.

K9 said:
I also created a Google calendar (free) with all the events happening in the local 3 county area.
Just last weekend I discovered Localendar (Local Calendar) and have set it up for our tourism association to use as a local events calendar. It has several very nice features:
  • Anybody can add events to it, so one person doesn't have to do all the work. I currently have ours set that way (anybody can post), but I have it e-mail me when an event is posted so I can monitor it. If people start using it to post their yard sales and business advertisements, I'll make it where events don't post until I OK them.
  • A simple line of script can be embedded into any website so the same calendar can appear on the tourism assn. site, the city website, and any other website. See an example at the bottom of the page HERE .When somebody adds or updates an event on any website, it automatically updates on ALL websites that are displaying the calendar.
  • It's free for the basics. VERY cheap to add extra nice bells and whistles if you wish.
  • Event posts can include hyperlinks and photos to dress them up and give a "more information here" link to a different website if needed. You click an event on the calendar and it pops up full details on the event.
  • You can, optionally, have it display the weather forcast for your area on each day of the calendar.
I am real happy with it and am working to encourage all the local groups to use this as the one central portal for the whole county to use to post upcoming events.
That's a very nice calendar! One of the things I didn't like about the Google Calendar was that it wasn't very pleasant to look at. And if an item was "all day" it only appeared at the top of the calendar (if it was 3pm when you looked at the calendar, it showed you rest of the day 3pm on and not the whole day so you missed the "all day" things). Google did have an option to customize the HTML to be imbedded in the website/FB. So, I was able to make it list view (instead of calendar view), add a print button, add/remove daily weather and many other things. I tweaked it until I'm now happy with it.
Again, though, I do like your calendar. It's attractive, colorful and easy to read. Being able to add bells & whistles, and links is a great feature!

Holy cow! I'm putting my Google calendar out there! Thanks for the tip.
Well, I would put it out there if FB would let me access the app.
Make sure you have your Google Calendar set as "public". Then go into Calendar Settings, scroll down to Calendar Address, click on the little HTML button - this will bring up a pop-up which shows your calendar URL which you can use. To make it even better, on this pop-up is a link to the "Configuration Tool" . This neat thing lets you choose from a list of options to add & remove to customize how your calendar looks. Once you are done customizing, you can then copy/paste the HTML code at the top and you'll get exactly what you created. I did that on our website and it came out nice IMO.
http://www.blueridgeinnbandb.com/events.htm

Just waiting for FB to let me access the app. All I get is a blank page. I've got the code from Google Calendar, but no place to put it.
Are you actually getting an error? What app are you trying to access? With Woobox I had to go to their website and download the app before it showed up anywhere. It was confusing & time consuming but I fumbled through it...

There is a FB app that allows you to insert the code for the calendar. I cannot get the FB app to load. I click the link for Google calendar app and nothing shows up. Until I can get that, I can't insert the code I copied from Google calendar.
I agree that GC is ugly. I had it all set up with different colors for different kinds of events, it only shows up as the default color no matter what. I set ALL of the events to be 'full day' rather than a particular time. I do not have time to go to every website and find out what time an event opens and closes. If I need to do it, or if a guest wants to know, the URL is in the event info.

Back