Facebook Ads

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Breakfast Diva

Reaction score
We've discussed whether FB ads are worth the money (I tried it early on, didn't work for me). Companies contact us about doing special FB promotions and they make it sound like we should/could be raking in the dough from FB. Check out this article.

Scanned the article and agree with what I read. I too tried the FB ads and it was a waste.

I had a call the other day telling me my website could be making me MILLIONS if I just got on the stick and fixed my SEO, blogged, had a FB ad plan and a Google ad account. MILLIONS! You know, I calculated out what 100% occ would earn me and it's not even near a single million much less millions with an S.

Well given the fact that lots of advertisers are pulling out of Facebook ads, might be an indication it is not a great idea. I heard on the news this morning that 80% said they NEVER even clicked on an ad. Guess they got the article from HP..... And wonder why the stock is at $25 today???? Not good planning on that IPO.

FB ads are pretty useless, but it's still a great way to connect with your past guests. I know I've gotten repeats because they've 'liked' my page before/after their stay and through posts are reminded of why they enjoyed their first stay and have booked again. So it's still a plus in my opinion.

I check in on Facebook 20 times a day. Have never clicked an ad.

I check in on Facebook 20 times a day. Have never clicked an ad..
Arkansawyer said:
I check in on Facebook 20 times a day. Have never clicked an ad.
You mean there is someone else?
cry_smile.gif

I have definitely clicked on more Facebook ads than I have Google ads, but it is still rare. However, for lodging and many other industries, Google ads are going to have better ROI with less effort. Usually when someone sees your ad on Google they are usually seeking lodging or at least are interested in traveling. This is rarely going to be the case with Facebook ads.
You can have success with Facebook if you have a very compelling ad & website and creatively target your audience. A very general ad will have really poor ROI. Limit the age range and select only bordering or otherwise very close states.
Examples of target audiences which I suspect would have good ROI:
Engaged: Ad focusing on Honeymoon or romance packages
If you are near a ski resort: Run an ad in the winter targeting those who like skiing or snowboarding
"Has birthday in 1 week": Might be looking for something to do for their birthday
Big upcoming event: run an ad targeted towards those who are interested in the event (such as a specific musician at a concert, wine for a wine festival, etc)
You might also consider limiting the audience to those who have "bed and breakfasts" as an interest. The more specific you can get with target audiences and ads the better.

I have definitely clicked on more Facebook ads than I have Google ads, but it is still rare. However, for lodging and many other industries, Google ads are going to have better ROI with less effort. Usually when someone sees your ad on Google they are usually seeking lodging or at least are interested in traveling. This is rarely going to be the case with Facebook ads.
You can have success with Facebook if you have a very compelling ad & website and creatively target your audience. A very general ad will have really poor ROI. Limit the age range and select only bordering or otherwise very close states.
If you are near a ski resort: Run an ad in the winter targeting those who like skiing or snowboarding
"Has birthday in 1 week": Might be looking for something to do for their birthday
Big upcoming event: run an ad targeted towards those who are interested in the event (such as a specific musician at a concert, wine for a wine festival, etc)
You might also consider limiting the audience to those who have "bed and breakfasts" as an interest. The more specific you can get with target audiences and ads the better..
Nope, still didn't work for me. When I tried it I got very specific on my targets. It was a waste of money. I did it 3 separate times using different ads and it was a waste of money.

I believe Facebook is not for direct Ads, for brand building its a good place though
Its hard to track the running Ads on facebook too. I had my Ads running for about a month, but hardly any result

You might also consider limiting the audience to those who have "bed and breakfasts" as an interest. The more specific you can get with target audiences and ads the better..
I tried out the ad formula on FB just for kicks. I thought about doing an ad but read the TOS and didn't like what I read. However, by the time I got done 'tweaking' the ad to where I thought the most guests were coming from it would have been seen by 150 people. Not exactly casting a wide net. I was hoping for at least a few thousand.

I believe Facebook is not for direct Ads, for brand building its a good place though
Its hard to track the running Ads on facebook too. I had my Ads running for about a month, but hardly any result.
alireda said:
Its hard to track the running Ads on facebook too. I had my Ads running for about a month, but hardly any result
I like the ads where if you 'like' their page, you are put into a draw and have a chance to win something. Even if it's something little.

Facebook had adds! I guess I never noticed them! Does that give you any help?

Facebook had adds! I guess I never noticed them! Does that give you any help?.
Bob said:
Facebook had adds! I guess I never noticed them! Does that give you any help?
Coming from someone who deals with a nonprofit who pays for the ads, I can tell you someone sees them, and clicks.
Oddly enough we say it all the time about print advertising, it is totally useless for us, but OBV it works, and has worked for decades, or the magazines would be empty.
Now for us, as innkeeper, I think a few of us have attempted to use the FB ads targeting a specific demographic, and has come back null and void, and money in the wind...

Back