Facebook and your B&B

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We are finding that our target market demographic all seem to have Facebook accounts, especially the women. I like it because unlike tripadvisor it is easy for a guest with a FB account to write a comment on the FB page wall of their stay at the inn. For guests that do not add themselves as a fan I can also send an email after they leave requesting they become a fan and providing the link in the email.
We normally ask guests to fan our page when they check out and many do. We also have a small facebook sign in each room.
Combined with twitter we are finding that some guests are finding us. This will improve in the future I am sure..
Cedarhouse, I like what you did with putting your facebook fan page in a frame on your site. Very clever.
thumbs_up.gif

Normally I caution people against using frames but in this case I think it works fine. You may get a better effect using an actual 301 redirect..in that the page may actually get some link love and start performing on its own in google (I'll have to do some more research/testing on that).
Since you are using the frame, one advantage that it gives you is in tracking the page loads. I didn't see any tracking code on the frame so either you aren't tracking it, or you are tracking it directly from the server logs. If you aren't, one suggestion I have is to get your tracker code on the frame set page so you could track it. That and a meta-description on the frame set too.

We are finding that our target market demographic all seem to have Facebook accounts, especially the women. I like it because unlike tripadvisor it is easy for a guest with a FB account to write a comment on the FB page wall of their stay at the inn. For guests that do not add themselves as a fan I can also send an email after they leave requesting they become a fan and providing the link in the email.
We normally ask guests to fan our page when they check out and many do. We also have a small facebook sign in each room.
Combined with twitter we are finding that some guests are finding us. This will improve in the future I am sure..
Cedarhouse, I like what you did with putting your facebook fan page in a frame on your site. Very clever.
thumbs_up.gif

Normally I caution people against using frames but in this case I think it works fine. You may get a better effect using an actual 301 redirect..in that the page may actually get some link love and start performing on its own in google (I'll have to do some more research/testing on that).
Since you are using the frame, one advantage that it gives you is in tracking the page loads. I didn't see any tracking code on the frame so either you aren't tracking it, or you are tracking it directly from the server logs. If you aren't, one suggestion I have is to get your tracker code on the frame set page so you could track it. That and a meta-description on the frame set too.
Thanks for your comments and advice. You know more about this stuff than I do based on the terminology used. I do track using a paid service for the web site through extremetracking.com/

thumbs_up.gif

Thanks for your comments and advice. You know more about this stuff than I do based on the terminology used. I do track using a paid service for the web site through extremetracking.com/
Sorry sometimes I get carried away with geek speak...if you have questions feel free to express them, I'd be happy to expand when needed.
Extreme tracking uses code on the page to track it (it runs a javascript). Since that javascript is not present on your frame set, you are probably missing out on some interesting tracker data. You may want to get the extreme tracker script on the frameset page you are using for your fan page.

We have a page on Facebook as well, don't check it often, but see we have previous guests as members and a few comments. We also have a few members that we don't know.
Would love to know how one would promote using Facebook.
Looking forward to reading more from others..
Cathy said:
We have a page on Facebook as well, don't check it often, but see we have previous guests as members and a few comments. We also have a few members that we don't know.
Looking forward to reading more from others.
You can advertise right on FB if you want. Or, start posting fun bits on FB and send your guests there to find specials. (As an add on to your website.)
When you email guests, have a link to the FB page in the email so they can become fans. THEN, once you have a fan list, you can send messages directly to that fan base from the FB page.
Because, I think, more people are likely to log onto their own FB acct than to any of our individual webpages, it's a way to keep in touch all the time, without emailing them something they may toss.
Bree said:
Because, I think, more people are likely to log onto their own FB acct than to any of our individual webpages, it's a way to keep in touch all the time, without emailing them something they may toss.
I'll have to look into whether there is a way to take your own blog rss feed and have that go into your facebook feed. Then you could kill 2 birds with one stone. There must be a way to do this.
swirt said:
Bree said:
I'll have to look into whether there is a way to take your own blog rss feed and have that go into your facebook feed. Then you could kill 2 birds with one stone. There must be a way to do this.
All you do is go into the Notes application and tell it to import a blog. You're limited to pulling one RSS feed into Notes. If you're clever, you could have all your RSS feeds go into one central and have FB pull that central feed.
--Bill

Looking forward to reading more from others..
Cathy said:
Looking forward to reading more from others.
You can advertise right on FB if you want. Or, start posting fun bits on FB and send your guests there to find specials. (As an add on to your website.)
When you email guests, have a link to the FB page in the email so they can become fans. THEN, once you have a fan list, you can send messages directly to that fan base from the FB page.
Bree said:
swirt said:
Bree said:
All you do is go into the Notes application and tell it to import a blog. You're limited to pulling one RSS feed into Notes. If you're clever, you could have all your RSS feeds go into one central and have FB pull that central feed.
--Bill
You could install the "Social RSS," application...which can collect multiple RSS feeds as well.

Facebook is so well traveled these days and seems to be a great tool to communicate. Cedarhouse, I just became a fan of yours, and would love to find the rest of y'all if you'd share your FB 'code names'...=) I'm afraid my Geek speak is bad. TTFN, Erin

Facebook is so well traveled these days and seems to be a great tool to communicate. Cedarhouse, I just became a fan of yours, and would love to find the rest of y'all if you'd share your FB 'code names'...=) I'm afraid my Geek speak is bad. TTFN, Erin.
You can join mine here. [removed by author]

Alright. I caved.
cry_smile.gif
Here's my Facebook page.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Athens-TX/Oak-Creek-Bed-and-Breakfast/114171338637

Here's our fb page...
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rensselaer-IN/The-White-House-on-Park-Avenue-Bed-Breakfast/49535305876

Here's our fb page...
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rensselaer-IN/The-White-House-on-Park-Avenue-Bed-Breakfast/49535305876.
Redbirds said:
Here's our fb page...
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rensselaer-IN/The-White-House-on-Park-Avenue-Bed-Breakfast/49535305876
Nicely done!
thumbs_up.gif

Here's our fb page...
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rensselaer-IN/The-White-House-on-Park-Avenue-Bed-Breakfast/49535305876.
Redbirds said:
Here's our fb page...
Nicely done!
thumbs_up.gif

Thanks, Texan - I just looked at yours, and I especially like the wildlife photos!

HELP!!!!
I tried to set up a fan page but all I can get are friend pages...
Can anyone tell me how to set up a Fan page???

one way is to go back to the Facebook sign in page... you'll see a link to set up a page there and you'll be able to link it with your personal page

one way is to go back to the Facebook sign in page... you'll see a link to set up a page there and you'll be able to link it with your personal page.
Thanks.
Gee, I used to be computer savy and don't know what heppened to me...
Must be the new age...haha
Now, how do i link the pages?

one way is to go back to the Facebook sign in page... you'll see a link to set up a page there and you'll be able to link it with your personal page.
Thanks.
Gee, I used to be computer savy and don't know what heppened to me...
Must be the new age...haha
Now, how do i link the pages?
well, maybe I figured it out......I hope...

HELP!!!!
I tried to set up a fan page but all I can get are friend pages...
Can anyone tell me how to set up a Fan page???.
I am with you! How the heck do you set up a fan page?
gillumhouse said:
I am with you! How the heck do you set up a fan page?
You have to first set up a regular facebook page. You're supposed to use your real name & info for this. If you've gotten that far, let me know. Your fan page should be your inn name. The fan page is an adjunct to the facebook page and cannot exist on its own. No one needs to ever see your FB page, you can direct them only to the fan page.

Back