Facebook and your B&B

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happyjacks

Reaction score
Does anyone have a Facebook page for their B&B? If so, care to tell us how you're using it to promote business?
Or from the guest perspective, as a fan of a B&B page, what would engage you or what would you like to see?
I started a page for my B&B and have a few fans. Some of them are actual guests but the rest are my friends. I'm thinking of running a photo contest for previous guests to post a photo from their stay and the winner will be voted by other fans or friends of fans. The idea would be to get friends of fans to check me out. The winner would win.... ? something TBD.
So far, though, I think it's serving a similar purpose as my email blasts: reminding past guests I exist (I got an enquiry today from one of my past-guest fans after I posted a status). The page has also driven some traffic to my website according to my stats, but it's not a big source of click-thrus.
Any thoughts on where this type of social network marketing is going or how to harness it?

I have a page, too, but have only recently started posting anything on it. A couple of fans, but I think they're mostly innkeepers! No traffic at all to my site from it.

I have one, but I hardly ever update it. Most of my fans are my friends, but I think there was one that's a friend of a friend.

Are you friends with anyone who has a big following on Facebook? Our coffee roaster Blue Smoke, who by the way has great coffee, mentioned our B&B on his FB page and suddenly we have quite a few fans. We have had bookings from his mention of us as well as from other local businesses that have mentioned something about us on FB. We return the favor by mentioning their businesses on FB or referring our guests to them. Don't forget to think local, I am always amazed by how many of our guests are visiting friends or relatives in the area. People will refer their friends and relatives even if they have never met you if someone else in town mentions your B&B.

We have a page on Facebook as well, don't check it often, but see we have previous guests as members and a few comments. We also have a few members that we don't know.
Would love to know how one would promote using Facebook.
Looking forward to reading more from others.

PAII is havinga webinar on Facebook next week.. anyone here going to listen in?

I have one, but I hardly ever update it. Most of my fans are my friends, but I think there was one that's a friend of a friend..
I have become a member on your site. I think I will add the photos of breakfasts that our guests have taken and think that we should put on our website on our Facebook page. The photos are nice, but not excellent ;) Good enough for Facebook though.
Maple syrup making sounds so interesting. I have always wanted to see that being done. Maybe one year I'll have to come for a visit.

PAII is havinga webinar on Facebook next week.. anyone here going to listen in?.
Just clarifying whether its a webinar ON facebook (meaning within facebook) or a webinar about facebook?
Is it a members only kind of thing?

PAII is havinga webinar on Facebook next week.. anyone here going to listen in?.
Just clarifying whether its a webinar ON facebook (meaning within facebook) or a webinar about facebook?
Is it a members only kind of thing?
It is about facebook (and twitter, a little) and being done by Tim Brady, an innkeeper in Brattleboro, VT. Members can join for $49 and non-members $69. You can call PAII at 800-468-7244.
My thought is that PAII should be the education arm of the industry. Although I appreciate all of Jay's efforts for PAII and have rejoined (at a pretty hefty annual fee, I might add) this year, it irks me that these webinars are not free or only a nominal charge (less than $20) to members. Since all inns get the magazine, there are precious few perks of being a PAII member vs. a non-member. $20 isn't a big difference when the annual membership fee is 10x that difference.

I agree with you Muirford. Not seeing any perks from my PAII membership. I enjoy this forum much more than theirs.

Are you friends with anyone who has a big following on Facebook? Our coffee roaster Blue Smoke, who by the way has great coffee, mentioned our B&B on his FB page and suddenly we have quite a few fans. We have had bookings from his mention of us as well as from other local businesses that have mentioned something about us on FB. We return the favor by mentioning their businesses on FB or referring our guests to them. Don't forget to think local, I am always amazed by how many of our guests are visiting friends or relatives in the area. People will refer their friends and relatives even if they have never met you if someone else in town mentions your B&B..
This is great advice

We have a page on Facebook as well, don't check it often, but see we have previous guests as members and a few comments. We also have a few members that we don't know.
Looking forward to reading more from others..
Cathy said:
You can advertise right on FB if you want. Or, start posting fun bits on FB and send your guests there to find specials. (As an add on to your website.)
When you email guests, have a link to the FB page in the email so they can become fans. THEN, once you have a fan list, you can send messages directly to that fan base from the FB page.
Because, I think, more people are likely to log onto their own FB acct than to any of our individual webpages, it's a way to keep in touch all the time, without emailing them something they may toss.

Cathy said:
You can advertise right on FB if you want. Or, start posting fun bits on FB and send your guests there to find specials. (As an add on to your website.)
When you email guests, have a link to the FB page in the email so they can become fans. THEN, once you have a fan list, you can send messages directly to that fan base from the FB page.
Because, I think, more people are likely to log onto their own FB acct than to any of our individual webpages, it's a way to keep in touch all the time, without emailing them something they may toss.
Bree said:
I'll have to look into whether there is a way to take your own blog rss feed and have that go into your facebook feed. Then you could kill 2 birds with one stone. There must be a way to do this.

Cathy said:
Bree said:
I'll have to look into whether there is a way to take your own blog rss feed and have that go into your facebook feed. Then you could kill 2 birds with one stone. There must be a way to do this.
swirt said:
There must be a way to do this.
And if anyone could do it, it would be you!
shades_smile.gif

Cathy said:
Bree said:
ping.fm feeds info to your blog, facebook, twitter and other sources. I have used it a few times. What I find works best for me is to write a blog post, then use ping to send that link (with a succint header) to twitter and my inn's facebook page. If you want to just populate your twitter and facebook pages at the same time, I would recommend tweetdeck - it also offers a way to group your twitter feeds so they can be more easily tracked.

Cathy said:
Bree said:
ping.fm feeds info to your blog, facebook, twitter and other sources. I have used it a few times. What I find works best for me is to write a blog post, then use ping to send that link (with a succint header) to twitter and my inn's facebook page. If you want to just populate your twitter and facebook pages at the same time, I would recommend tweetdeck - it also offers a way to group your twitter feeds so they can be more easily tracked.
muirford said:
Good info Jeanne. A year ago did you ever forsee that you would be using words like twitter or tweetdeck? You are now officially a techno junkie. :)

Cathy said:
Bree said:
muirford said:
Good info Jeanne. A year ago did you ever forsee that you would be using words like twitter or tweetdeck? You are now officially a techno junkie. :)
NO. I've always been a little bit of a techno junkie, anyway - bought a flat-screen monitor when they first came out and cost more than $1000. What's funny is that I am not the real bit-head - that is DH's territory but he can barely stand to use a basic cell phone. He may have the last one in existence that isn't a camera (except for the old geezer phones). He let me get one of those mini-laptops after he forgot to get me a card on Valentine's Day!! (It's PINK).

Cathy said:
Bree said:
I got a headache & blood starting shooting out of my eyes (as JBJ's says) when I read that :)

We are finding that our target market demographic all seem to have Facebook accounts, especially the women. I like it because unlike tripadvisor it is easy for a guest with a FB account to write a comment on the FB page wall of their stay at the inn. For guests that do not add themselves as a fan I can also send an email after they leave requesting they become a fan and providing the link in the email.
We normally ask guests to fan our page when they check out and many do. We also have a small facebook sign in each room.
Combined with twitter we are finding that some guests are finding us. This will improve in the future I am sure.

Back