facebook booking

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happyjacks

Reaction score
We've talked about facebook and what, if anything, it actually does for bookings. Well, I just got my first definitive facebook booking. By that, I mean when the guest filled out the online booking form, they entered "facebook" in the "How did you hear about us?" field. That's a first here!
The guest is not a fan of my B&B page so they heard about us through other pages. Some of our DMO's and local businesses are on facebook and we actively promote and cross-promote each other. This, to me, is how to leverage this particular medium. Not by just having my own stand-alone page talking only about me and what's going on right here on my property, but by networking to expand my reach and hopefully come to the attention of a broader, engaged audience.
Kinda nice to know that one of the biggest time-wasters on the web is not a COMPLETE waste of my time. :)
Anyone else have tips or strategies to get the most out of fb? Please share!

happyjacks said:
...I just got my first definitive facebook booking.
So not exactly a big referral source. Time will tell if Facebook is really worth...anything! You're sure right about it being a time waster.
happyjacks said:
By that, I mean when the guest filled out the online booking form, they entered "facebook" in the "How did you hear about us?" field. That's a first here!
I had not even thought to add a "how did you hear about us" field on the reservation form. Thanks for mentioning that!

I'm running a Facebook ad at the moment to promote my FB business page. It's limited to £30 but thought I would give it a go to see what happens.
So far I've had 80,000 impressions with and my "likes" has gone from 50 to 113, which has cost £11 thus far.
ANy great business benefit? Don't know yet. I'm just updating my booking system so people can select FB under "How did you find us", although this data is unreliable.

I don't know about bookings but have been working hard on my twitter (260 followers) and Facebook (2000+) and have my web site set up that when do an update I can have a thing put on my facebook and twitter that says ive updated the web site take a look. I don't do it every time as it would make people potty but when I have made a big change i do it and every time i have done a mention have had about 30 people looking which I think is worth doing. Also when you get past a certain number of fans it germinates on its own as you are then sugested to other people who have never heard of you.

I'm running a Facebook ad at the moment to promote my FB business page. It's limited to £30 but thought I would give it a go to see what happens.
So far I've had 80,000 impressions with and my "likes" has gone from 50 to 113, which has cost £11 thus far.
ANy great business benefit? Don't know yet. I'm just updating my booking system so people can select FB under "How did you find us", although this data is unreliable..
We tried this as well and found it not worth the $ at least at the time but I also raised my fan base.
I think sharing other info - other businesses or events and having them do the same is what will make a difference with social media... it is the same as 'word of mouth' advertising and is the BEST form in my opinion.

happyjacks said:
So not exactly a big referral source. Time will tell if Facebook is really worth...anything! You're sure right about it being a time waster.
happyjacks said:
By that, I mean when the guest filled out the online booking form, they entered "facebook" in the "How did you hear about us?" field. That's a first here!
I had not even thought to add a "how did you hear about us" field on the reservation form. Thanks for mentioning that!.
Arkansawyer said:
happyjacks said:
LOL no not exactly a big conversion source yet, but it's nice to get a specific answer instead of the vague "internet" which they usually give. Also, in my experience there are not many true anomalies in this world. If one person says he found me via fb, then chances are somebody else has as well but just hasn't said so.
My main take-away from this is that the medium can be successful at getting bookings if properly leveraged. I'll continue to use my own fb page to maintain a relationship with existing guests and fans, but I'll also work more with DMO's and other businesses in that space (and encourage them to do the same).

ANy great business benefit? Don't know yet. I'm just updating my booking system so people can select FB under "How did you find us", although this data is unreliable..
With my new PMS system if it comes (ie the booking) through an online channel it shows on a pie chart ie how many come from each channel so I can see what is working best. So I only need to collect data on phone or email bookings of how they found us. Thought that I should make the back of my regustration form have options on it ie
internet search, booking agent but you rang up and booked direct, facebook, twitter, walk in, andthing we have and add in, local business referal, stayed before, referal etc and I would try and make it fun say with a little picture next to each ie facebook symbol, twitter, little man walking for a walk in etc.

With my new PMS system if it comes (ie the booking) through an online channel it shows on a pie chart ie how many come from each channel so I can see what is working best. So I only need to collect data on phone or email bookings of how they found us. Thought that I should make the back of my regustration form have options on it ie
internet search, booking agent but you rang up and booked direct, facebook, twitter, walk in, andthing we have and add in, local business referal, stayed before, referal etc and I would try and make it fun say with a little picture next to each ie facebook symbol, twitter, little man walking for a walk in etc.
With my new PMS system if it comes (ie the booking) through an online channel it shows on a pie chart...
Hmm. PMS must mean something different in the UK.

With my new PMS system if it comes (ie the booking) through an online channel it shows on a pie chart...
Hmm. PMS must mean something different in the UK.
it means both but in this instance it means property management system. However when I was in university our local bus company was called PMT busses made me laugh!

Back