Facebook "Friends"

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Breakfast Diva

Reaction score
Now that FB has changed their rules and allows a business to "like" other pages, I've decided to take more control over my personal page and "friends". I now have a lot of innkeeper "friends" that I have never met or wrote to and don't know, but have "friended" them because of their b&b and supporting our b&b community.
Here's what I would like to do, but I don't want to offend anyone, so please let me know if it were you, would you be offended? I received a "friend" request this morning from an innkeeper I don't know. I wrote a message back saying that now our b&bs could post and "like", I went to her b&b page and "liked" it and encouraged her to go and "like" mine, but I am only "friending" friends and family.
The bottom line for me is that I would like to post to family and real friends without having a hundred other innkeepers know what I'm doing. What do you think?
I'm pretty ok with the new requests coming in to tell them, but what would/will you do with all the old "friends" already on your list?

That makes sense to me. I get "invitations" from innkeeper "friends" that I do not know for causes and events that I have no intention of attending nor supporting (so i ignore it totally). The problem I have had with the FB thing all along is the suggestion that everyone s/b my "friend". Please feel free to "un-friend" me as I will not take offense. I like you but how can I expect you to call me a friend if our only connection is our profession - you know what I mean. yes, we know enough about each other to know we do have some of the same interests but......
Have at it, Kid!

Very common sense. I, personally, would not be offended at all. I agree that your 'personal' page should be limited to friends and family. Guests do not/should not care if you post about personal things. Innkeepers are people, too.

The dilemma. I hate reading personal stuff from other innkeepers (I don't know), so I would like that idea.

Totally ok with that. I get a lot of 'friend' requests from innkeepers who don't have biz pages for their inns. They need to change.
As for the old innkeeper friends, post the same thing on FB you said here and then see what happens.

What's driving me crazy is I'm getting all sorts of 'suggestions' for friends who area actually B&B's!! DO NOT USE A PERSONAL PAGE FOR YOUR B&B, THAT SHOULD BE A BUSINESS PAGE. I've been told that businesses set up as people will eventually get yanked down by FB. Personally, I'd hate to have gone to all that work, just to have it pulled.
wow.gif

I think that's totally fine. I keep getting "friend" requests from neighbors here who are just that, neighbors. We're not really social friends, so why would I engage them in social media? I don't necessarily want to have everyone that is just an acquaintance see what is on my FB page.

Totally ok with that. I get a lot of 'friend' requests from innkeepers who don't have biz pages for their inns. They need to change.
As for the old innkeeper friends, post the same thing on FB you said here and then see what happens..
What can also be done is to go in to the settings and block any more personal posts to specific people (in this case innkeepers you don't know) so you don't have to "unfriend". I might just do that and then not accept any new requests.

I was thinking about this the other day. They need to develop levels or people are going to invent other sights for specific things. Linkedin for business networking, FB reduced to just family and friends etc. But right now FB has the position to be all of thoes with a one stop shop.

If someone figures it all out please tell me, having two areas is making me a mad woman. I would rather have it once and for all, but then I would rather have it just the business. I can't keep up with this, my head is spinning.
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

Breakfast Diva said:
Now that FB has changed their rules and allows a business to "like" other pages, I've decided to take more control over my personal page and "friends". I now have a lot of innkeeper "friends" that I have never met or wrote to and don't know, but have "friended" them because of their b&b and supporting our b&b community.
Here's what I would like to do, but I don't want to offend anyone, so please let me know if it were you, would you be offended? I received a "friend" request this morning from an innkeeper I don't know. I wrote a message back saying that now our b&bs could post and "like", I went to her b&b page and "liked" it and encouraged her to go and "like" mine, but I am only "friending" friends and family.
I think that's a good idea and I wouldn't be offended if another innkeeper said that to me. If you are also going to 'unfriend' folks, you might want to just post something on your wall to say that you will be doing it, and give a link to your business page, then wait a few days before pulling the plug.

If someone figures it all out please tell me, having two areas is making me a mad woman. I would rather have it once and for all, but then I would rather have it just the business. I can't keep up with this, my head is spinning.
Joey Bloggs said:
With the new changes, you can use fb strictly as your page if you like. Under Account, click Use Facebook as Page. Then whatever you do (comment, like, etc) you do as your page. When you click on Home, your newsfeed will only have items from the pages you like as a page -- it won't show the posts from your personal friends. Is that what you meant?

I have a personal facebook page, and a separate account that I set up as "Smithville B&B Innkeepers", and I have the business page linked to this account. I suppose it's not technically following FB's rules, but in the event that we sell I wanted the Inn's FB page to be completely separate from my personal one.

What I decided to do was change my settings and chose to not allow posts to anyone who was not friend/family/innkeepers I've had personal interaction with. I didn't unfriend/remove, so if any of them are curious, they could still go to my personal page and see what's going on, but I highly doubt they think my life is that entertaining to go look! LOL

Back