Facebook idea

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toddburme

Reaction score
I am not the best facebooker so lets start there. But I had an idea of running a town wide contest of who could get the most "likes" to their business facebook page by June 1st would win a night in our B&B. Sort of get my local town to embrace the web a bit. We have a great little town and maybe we could spread out a bit in a virtual sense... Anyone do anything like this or even think the idea has merit?

It might even get more people to "Like" your B&B in the process. Clever idea. I think it has potential.

This is going to sound dumb but if someone said what does that do for my business I am not sure what the answer is.

This is going to sound dumb but if someone said what does that do for my business I am not sure what the answer is..
For one thing it will raise the awareness that you exist. I am closing out my 15th year in business in this small City (pop between 2300 - 2500) and I STILL hear "I didn't know we had a bed & breakfast in town!" I have been written up in the local weekly, involved in WAY too much in town, have done just about everything besides standing on my head at teh corner of Pike & Walnut spitting nickels and they STILL do not know i am here.
Do not forget that LOCALS get out-of-town visitors AND friends & family return for funerals.

Ok a real world thing on how this works for the good of all. I saw a "Tank Tasting" is at the local winery this weekend. I posted it and said i was going. Technically they picked up a customer. Me. Then I invited the girlfriend and now a few more people. Voila they might get 6 people with 4 being new customers. If we all had lots of people liking our page and even if we all cross liked etc, the chances of people seeing stuff they want to do goes up.

Well, great minds think alike (in a way). I suggested this very same thing (without the free night) to the group in town who does all the marketing. Have yet to see a single email from them explaining it to everyone. My idea was more to get a list together of what businesses in town have a FB or Twitter page so we could all like each other or follow each other and cross promote the whole town to all of our different fans.
I have tried searching for local businesses but I have very little luck searching as my biz page. I can find tons of businesses with my personal page, but when I do a biz search from the biz page, nothing.
Your idea is a good one. My problem is not a lot of businesses here have FB pages (that I've found!) or they don't use them so they would never know there was a promotion going on to start with.

This is going to sound dumb but if someone said what does that do for my business I am not sure what the answer is..
toddburme said:
This is going to sound dumb but if someone said what does that do for my business I am not sure what the answer is.
Cross-promotion of all the businesses in town to all the different fans of those businesses to bring more business in to all of them. If they don't need more business, you can explain that you do and who couldn't use a free night to surprise the spouse with!

Ok a real world thing on how this works for the good of all. I saw a "Tank Tasting" is at the local winery this weekend. I posted it and said i was going. Technically they picked up a customer. Me. Then I invited the girlfriend and now a few more people. Voila they might get 6 people with 4 being new customers. If we all had lots of people liking our page and even if we all cross liked etc, the chances of people seeing stuff they want to do goes up..
It goes way up, which is why your idea is good. I promote library stuff, restaurants, sales, art shows, theater, you name it. And, every once in awhile, someone cross promotes me. I need more guests than restaurants need diners and stores need shoppers, so there's less coming back my way than is going out.

I agree that honestly we might benefit the least in the long run but gotta try. I know these types of contest might appeal to someone. We thought we could call it the get the folks outta the house contest and the kids would try and win to get the folks to go away for a night.
The bigger picture is pretty simple. We get 50 new pages and 100 new people to like each page and wow! That could really make something happen. I was thinking we could make suggestions. "ask a niece out of town." "Find your FB friend with the most friends and see if they will help you." Make it funny, dad has to ask the help if his twelve year old kid.
A good idea but needs execution.

Back