Facebook vs. Twitter vs. Blog

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just read that one. Yes, interesting. Goes along with what I've said - if I post a link hardly anyone sees it. Anything that is not vanilla text ends up not being fed.
If they were trying to lead fans to their blog by posting the link it doesn't happen unless they pay for it. Twitter just puts it all out there.

He has some valid points. I think it still works for our industry, even though it's very frustrating.
I've been amazed at how many fans I've retained after our contest. We have 2,245 fans which is down from about 2,260. When FB considers it a good post, I get about 1,300 viewers.
Just a few days ago I posted that we had a single night available for tonight in our most popular room. It was booked by someone on FB in under 10 minutes! You just never know though...sometimes I'll post a vacancy and will get absolutely no takers, but hey, it's free publicity, so I'll continue on with it.

He has some valid points. I think it still works for our industry, even though it's very frustrating.
I've been amazed at how many fans I've retained after our contest. We have 2,245 fans which is down from about 2,260. When FB considers it a good post, I get about 1,300 viewers.
Just a few days ago I posted that we had a single night available for tonight in our most popular room. It was booked by someone on FB in under 10 minutes! You just never know though...sometimes I'll post a vacancy and will get absolutely no takers, but hey, it's free publicity, so I'll continue on with it..
That's a big difference from my 400 fans. If 200 fans see a post I'm amazed. How about if you insert a link or you share a post from someone else, are you still seeing a 50%+ viewing rate?

Just a few days ago I posted that we had a single night available for tonight in our most popular room. It was booked by someone on FB in under 10 minutes! You just never know though...sometimes I'll post a vacancy and will get absolutely no takers, but hey, it's free publicity, so I'll continue on with it..
Breakfast Diva said:
but hey, it's free publicity, so I'll continue on with it.
Yes, there's that! As long as no one is building their entire marketing around FB it's all good.

That's a big difference from my 400 fans. If 200 fans see a post I'm amazed. How about if you insert a link or you share a post from someone else, are you still seeing a 50%+ viewing rate?
links and shares typically get less views, but what has increased the views for me is I post the picture, then put the link in the first comment and it seems to help. When you post the picture, tell them you can find the link in the comment below.
Yesterday I 'shared' a cool FB page for free book downloads and I did just the regular link (without doing the picture as I stated above), and it got only 272 views. Maybe in a couple of weeks I'll post it again with posting just the picture and the link in the comments and see what the difference will be.

links and shares typically get less views, but what has increased the views for me is I post the picture, then put the link in the first comment and it seems to help. When you post the picture, tell them you can find the link in the comment below.
Yesterday I 'shared' a cool FB page for free book downloads and I did just the regular link (without doing the picture as I stated above), and it got only 272 views. Maybe in a couple of weeks I'll post it again with posting just the picture and the link in the comments and see what the difference will be.

Have you come across any new rules for your page since you've hit such a large Fan count? I know there was a big fuss last year about some larger businesses having to pay for their posts because they had so many Fans. I don't recall what that level-limit was...
Congratulations on keeping so many of those Fans. Aside from the room you were ale to rent very quickly after posting, have you found an increase in overall bookings from Fans?

Have you come across any new rules for your page since you've hit such a large Fan count? I know there was a big fuss last year about some larger businesses having to pay for their posts because they had so many Fans. I don't recall what that level-limit was...
Congratulations on keeping so many of those Fans. Aside from the room you were ale to rent very quickly after posting, have you found an increase in overall bookings from Fans?
I seem to have about the same % of viewing rate as others, it's just that now I have a lot of fans, more see my posts on a daily basis.
I've been able to attribute about $1,000 of bookings to FB, which isn't a large amount, but better than nothing. What I do experience is that more and more people who are first timers here say "oh, I read that", when I'm checking them in and telling them about things to do or what we recently did here at the inn. The only way they could have "read that" is from FB or blog.
I think that FB engages them more to your 'brand' and to you as an innkeeper. It's pretty hard to quantify that.
By the way, just yesterday I found out that the contest I did (and thousands of others) is actually against FB rules! FB states that to run a contest you need a 3rd party app.

Just remember everyone what works for the goose may not work for the gander.
Are you updating your FB page regularly? What are you sharing? Are they links to local or other websites?
Same question for Twitter etc.
Do people who follow you on TW want to stay with you? I find it is more likely someone I follow and admire on twitter will stay with us than on FB. But I enjoy tweeting.
Now as for FB I still hate it, but am managing it. So if you did exactly what I do with MY friends/followers would you have the same results as me?
All squares are rectangles but not all rectangles are squares...

Just remember everyone what works for the goose may not work for the gander.
Are you updating your FB page regularly? What are you sharing? Are they links to local or other websites?
Same question for Twitter etc.
Do people who follow you on TW want to stay with you? I find it is more likely someone I follow and admire on twitter will stay with us than on FB. But I enjoy tweeting.
Now as for FB I still hate it, but am managing it. So if you did exactly what I do with MY friends/followers would you have the same results as me?
All squares are rectangles but not all rectangles are squares....
Yeah, and that's a problem I have...I hate Twitter. It's too much for me. Too many things buzzing by all the time. So, right, not everything works for everybody. You have to want to do the different things to make them work for you.
If I had to pick one, single social thing it would be my newsletter. Which actually couldn't survive without my blog. But very few (5%) of my guests keep up with us on FB. And NO ONE EVER hits the Twitter link in my newsletter.
Could be my market.

Back