Facebook

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
penelope said:
I am wondering what opinions are held about businesses having profiles on Facebook and the like. Pros/cons? And why?
FB certainly seems to be a wonderful social networking site, and lots of people love it for connecting and reconnecting with others. Penelope asked about businesses having profiles there - so far, I haven't heard a compelling case for spending the time that might market your business there.

I joined fb personally (not for the b&b) over a year ago after my sister and cousins nagged me to. People say it's about staying connected, but in my experience, it's about broadcasting every mundane aspect of your life to people you can't be bothered to stay connected with in the real world.
Anyhoo, regarding using fb for business... a friend of mine and his wife own a baby-apparel business. It's a small business, a cottage industry, but they appeal strongly to a small niche market. Their products are in just a few stores in a few cities; and they sell at shows and markets.
They started a fb group for their business and use it for outreach to the group members. They send invites to the shows/markets they'll be selling, send news about new stores they've picked up for distribution, new product designs. Of course this info only goes out to the people who have already joined their group. So it's not likely reaching new customers, but it could be a good way to keep in touch with an existing customer base and encourage repeat sales.
There is definitely some overlap with a blog in terms of functionality. The invites and news items via the fb group are the same kind of thing that a business would put in a blog. The difference is that readers must come to a blog to get the info (or subscribe to a feed), whereas the fb group broadcasts go to the customer. And it reaches the customer in a place they have already chosen to spend a LOT of time (many of them anyway--it's not called 'crack book' for nothing).
I think a fb group could work for a B&B, but more for boosting repeat business and referrals, not for plucking new guests out of thin air.

I joined fb personally (not for the b&b) over a year ago after my sister and cousins nagged me to. People say it's about staying connected, but in my experience, it's about broadcasting every mundane aspect of your life to people you can't be bothered to stay connected with in the real world.
Anyhoo, regarding using fb for business... a friend of mine and his wife own a baby-apparel business. It's a small business, a cottage industry, but they appeal strongly to a small niche market. Their products are in just a few stores in a few cities; and they sell at shows and markets.
They started a fb group for their business and use it for outreach to the group members. They send invites to the shows/markets they'll be selling, send news about new stores they've picked up for distribution, new product designs. Of course this info only goes out to the people who have already joined their group. So it's not likely reaching new customers, but it could be a good way to keep in touch with an existing customer base and encourage repeat sales.
There is definitely some overlap with a blog in terms of functionality. The invites and news items via the fb group are the same kind of thing that a business would put in a blog. The difference is that readers must come to a blog to get the info (or subscribe to a feed), whereas the fb group broadcasts go to the customer. And it reaches the customer in a place they have already chosen to spend a LOT of time (many of them anyway--it's not called 'crack book' for nothing).
I think a fb group could work for a B&B, but more for boosting repeat business and referrals, not for plucking new guests out of thin air..
That's a great breakdown Happyjacks. Thanks.

I think a fb group could work for a B&B, but more for boosting repeat business and referrals, not for plucking new guests out of thin air..
Yes, thanks for an example of how a business might actually use FB. Sounds like it could be an alternative to using an email service like Constant Contact or sending out newsletters.

I got an email from a B&B FB group in this business yesterday (Jay) Maybe there is a workshop on FB at the PAII conference, we can ask or find out. It is in its infancy, it has time to evolve.

I came across this article on how to set up and *track* Facebook Ads. Maybe be useful for some of you guys.
http://www.subliminalpixels.com/2008/12/06/how-to-set-up-and-track-facebook-ads/

penelope said:
I am wondering what opinions are held about businesses having profiles on Facebook and the like. Pros/cons? And why?
FB certainly seems to be a wonderful social networking site, and lots of people love it for connecting and reconnecting with others. Penelope asked about businesses having profiles there - so far, I haven't heard a compelling case for spending the time that might market your business there..
muirford said:
penelope said:
Penelope asked about businesses having profiles there - so far, I haven't heard a compelling case for spending the time that might market your business there.
Funny you should mention that, neither have I! ;)

Well, I've just discovered that businesses can have a page on facebook, and have just created one. I'm still figuring out what all that means and will keep you updated as I figure it out.
My friend has is a fan of Blue Bunny Ice Cream (someone in her family owns it) and has a link to it from her Wall (what they call your page in FB). I would guess that it ends up being word of mouth advertising in an electronic medium. And since word of mouth is the best kind of advertising, it sounds promising to me.
I'm there anyway, and though I refuse to spend as much time there as my friend apparently does, I'll see where it goes...
=)
Kk.

This article was on Search Day today.
http://searchenginewatch.com/3632099.
I have a funny image in my head of innkeepers texting 16 yr olds saying things like "OMG you should stay at my BB. We can be BFFs. Be sure to bring DF's CC."
16 yr olds love / prefer instant messaging/texting because they have the attention span of fleas and the responsibilities to match. When they get older they start to realize (we hope) that being at the beck and call of an IM bleep is not a way to live, or to accomplish anything.

I have a funny image in my head of innkeepers texting 16 yr olds saying things like "OMG you should stay at my BB. We can be BFFs. Be sure to bring DF's CC."
16 yr olds love / prefer instant messaging/texting because they have the attention span of fleas and the responsibilities to match. When they get older they start to realize (we hope) that being at the beck and call of an IM bleep is not a way to live, or to accomplish anything.
swirt said:

Dream on...how many guests have I seen at breakfast who are 50+ who are attached at the hip (still) by phone, etc to their (grown) kids? I have watched them surreptitiously looking under the table at their messages at breakfast.

swirt said:

Dream on...how many guests have I seen at breakfast who are 50+ who are attached at the hip (still) by phone, etc to their (grown) kids? I have watched them surreptitiously looking under the table at their messages at breakfast.
Bree said:
swirt said:

Remember the 55+ year old guest who walked in on a conference call. I mean checked in while he was ON the conference call. He said, Just go on ahead... I told him he can check in when he is done. Oh no, just go on ahead I can hear you.
IRRITATED THIS INNKEEPER TO NO END!
Edited to say - if my husband ever did that he would get a right hook upside the head.

swirt said:

Bree said:
swirt said:

Remember the 55+ year old guest who walked in on a conference call. I mean checked in while he was ON the conference call. He said, Just go on ahead... I told him he can check in when he is done. Oh no, just go on ahead I can hear you.
Edited to say - if my husband ever did that he would get a right hook upside the head.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
swirt said:

Perhaps replying, 'Yes and I can hear YOU, too. And I'd rather not be a part of this important call. PLEASE, ring the bell later, when I can have your full attention.'

Sorry but these kids have grown up with this and I think as they get older it will only get worse. They know nothing else but this way. If we think we have PITA guests now...just wait.

We just left the school for a Christmas breakfast. As rotten as the kids are today, there are still some who say yes ma'am and yes sir and have manners. It was pleasant to see. Our own kid ignored us (because we were there) and the other kids wished their parents were there so they could ignore them too.

We just left the school for a Christmas breakfast. As rotten as the kids are today, there are still some who say yes ma'am and yes sir and have manners. It was pleasant to see. Our own kid ignored us (because we were there) and the other kids wished their parents were there so they could ignore them too..
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Our own kid ignored us (because we were there) and the other kids wished their parents were there so they could ignore them too.
Perfect.
teeth_smile.gif
Kids haven't changed all that much...

We just left the school for a Christmas breakfast. As rotten as the kids are today, there are still some who say yes ma'am and yes sir and have manners. It was pleasant to see. Our own kid ignored us (because we were there) and the other kids wished their parents were there so they could ignore them too..
As rotten as the kids are today, there are still some who say yes ma'am and yes sir and have manners.
You are correct. We (DH & I) are seeing it more and more. Young people (and TEENAGERS!!) are running ahead to open doors for him and/or hold them open. They are asking if they can help him. 5 years ago this did not happen (of course he was not on 2 crutches 5 years ago).
I have also noticed more young mothers demanding good behavior of their children and as often as humanly possible, when I see this, I compliment the mother on the way she is bringing up her children. You should see the smiles fo gratitude for the positive reinforcement coming from an old bag - the variety that all too often is a testy grump.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, you didn't tell me FB had an IM feature. Now I am being sucked in. Helllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllp!

Back