Facebook

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willowpondgj

Reaction score
We just made our facebook page: WillowPond if you'like to be a fan!
Swirt, if this isn't appropriate for some reason, let me know and I'll remove...
Thanks!

It's no problem by me. Active members are always welcome to do a bit of promotion ...of course you have to answer questions like "How's it working for you? and stuff like that...but you already know that ;)

I have one, too... but never update it and need to figure out how to post a link here....

I have one, too... but never update it and need to figure out how to post a link here.....
Click the little globe with the chain link icon. ;)
swirt said:
Yeah, yeah, make it easy.... The actual problem is figuring out what my fb biz page is. I should know... I know I should know.... It's just not that high on my priority list.
=)
Kk.

I have one, too... but never update it and need to figure out how to post a link here.....
swirt said:
Yeah, yeah, make it easy.... The actual problem is figuring out what my fb biz page is. I should know... I know I should know.... It's just not that high on my priority list.
=)
Kk.
Once you log on to FB just copy the URL in your browser and then paste it into the link here, but you probably already know that and just have to remember the millionth password for all this stuff to get into face book in the first place!
I suffer from Momheimerz and runonsentenceheimerz!
tounge_smile.gif

I tried to set ours up on facebook, but couldn't get past the second page of where the email address goes. It keeps coming up saying I must use a valid email address, which it IS a valid email address.
Needless to say our page is still NOT set up.

I tried to set ours up on facebook, but couldn't get past the second page of where the email address goes. It keeps coming up saying I must use a valid email address, which it IS a valid email address.
Needless to say our page is still NOT set up..
Karen said:
Needless to say our page is still NOT set up.
OK, here's the deal...Facebook will not accept YOUR domain name as valid. It didn't with mine, either. You have to use an email program it recognizes. Which in a way is good as your 'real' email doesn't have to be out there if you make your page 'open to everyone'.
So, use a yahoo, gmail, hotmail, etc email and it will work.

O.K., here's a question for everyone concerning Facebook (or MySpace). Your information is only available to those individuals who subscribe (are a "fan") to your page. These are also individuals that you have accepted to view your page.
What's the point? You're only reaching those individuals who already know about you, so as an advertising media it's poor at best. Isn't the idea to get the word out to a NEW audience? In this day and age of email clutter and spamming is it realistic to believe that the general public wants to follow the wacky antics of an innkeeper?
regular_smile.gif

If you're wanting previous guests to know what you're up to then Twitter is probably a better choice. Although I've noticed the only ones who subscribe to our Twitter page are those guests that we hit it off with.

O.K., here's a question for everyone concerning Facebook (or MySpace). Your information is only available to those individuals who subscribe (are a "fan") to your page. These are also individuals that you have accepted to view your page.
What's the point? You're only reaching those individuals who already know about you, so as an advertising media it's poor at best. Isn't the idea to get the word out to a NEW audience? In this day and age of email clutter and spamming is it realistic to believe that the general public wants to follow the wacky antics of an innkeeper?
regular_smile.gif

If you're wanting previous guests to know what you're up to then Twitter is probably a better choice. Although I've noticed the only ones who subscribe to our Twitter page are those guests that we hit it off with..
I have a Facebook account - a personal one and a business page (for fans). You are right to a certain extent - I have a link on my website to my FB and Twitter accounts - so those people have already found me. They may or may not have been guests yet, so there still may be value in them following me.
On the fan pages, you don't approve 'fans' - anyone can be a fan. Also, your page will show up on your fans pages on the side - as in, this person is a fan of 'myinn'. You can pick up fans through the 'friend of a friend' network.
I don't twitter or FB about my crazy antics - but I do post about goings on in town, like festivals and shows, or news articles that might be of interest. I think most will tell you the point isn't to do specific marketing for your B&B but to do marketing for your town or area. I think this social media is still in its infancy and its value as a marketing tool is TBD for me, but some businesses really make it work.

regular_smile.gif

If you're wanting previous guests to know what you're up to then Twitter is probably a better choice. Although I've noticed the only ones who subscribe to our Twitter page are those guests that we hit it off with..
You're only reaching those individuals who already know about you, so as an advertising media it's poor at best.
Not so, I've already got complete strangers and friends of friends who have fanned me...

Did you set up your personal page first?

I have a personal facebook page, but don't want to inner connect the two... want to keep personal stuff personal and business seperate. I have a friend who set up her business on facebook, but her business stuff comes across on her personal page too. That could be a set up glich on her part, but that's something I want to avoid happening.

I have a personal facebook page, but don't want to inner connect the two... want to keep personal stuff personal and business seperate. I have a friend who set up her business on facebook, but her business stuff comes across on her personal page too. That could be a set up glich on her part, but that's something I want to avoid happening.
To get a 'fan' page you have to have a personal page first. Now, you could get a personal page with no info on it but that won't stop anyone who knows your name from trying to be your friend on that page.
Once you've done that, then you HAVE to attach the fan page to a personal page. When someone does band promotions, they have a personal page that they attach all of the bands' fan pages too. It should not work in reverse. ie- the fan page should not populate your personal page. Anything you put on your personal page shouldn't leak thru to your fan page.

Here's my fan page link.
grey, You are utilizing Facebook in a perfect way, IMHO.
I find it useful to think of this internet social networking just the same as local networking without having to leave my house. If you go to a party or networking function you behave accordingly to attract friends and collegues like yourself - like minded for the most part. I do that with my internet networking for the B&B and leave the personal page,( which I can control who views), for opinions and rants.
The Twiitter/Facebook genre has proved to be invaluable to me, especially when you network with folks nearby or in your town. I have gained new friends and exposure that has put heads in my beds. Folks remember me and recommend their family, friends and business collegues coming in from out of town to stay with us. It works.
If you have set up a fan page you may also control who can post to it. I love that fans post comments and pictures on my B&B page, but not everyone wants to do that, and that's ok too.
If you have a city forum or something like it, I highly encourage you to become a part of that too! There are usually several, so spend some time reading them to see what kind of folks you will be attracting. The best ones will also have event calendars that are open for posting. You can post an event you are holding and also check ahead for events you may not know about that you can include in your blog or tell guests about. Get your name out there. Name recognition is awesome to draw folks in.
I use Twitter and Facebook to point to my blog and my website. Totally invaluable!

regular_smile.gif

You're only reaching those individuals who already know about you, so as an advertising media it's poor at best.
Not so, I've already got complete strangers and friends of friends who have fanned me...
Willowpondgj said:
With all due respect, "fanned me" doesn't necessarily equal reservations. For me, my time and energies are better spent utilizing those resources that will increase my revenue. I'd rather target my sales demographic.

regular_smile.gif

Willowpondgj said:
With all due respect, "fanned me" doesn't necessarily equal reservations. For me, my time and energies are better spent utilizing those resources that will increase my revenue. I'd rather target my sales demographic.
Proud Texan said:
With the same due respect, a clickthrough from a directory link, or someone reading a press release about your inn, doesn't necessarily equal a reservation either. FB and Twitter are just more tools to get your name out there. If you don't think your target market accesses that media, then don't use them. I think you'd be surprised at who's out there, though. It's not just teenagers any longer.

Back