"Fact Finding Mission"

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wendydk

Reaction score
Just had a wonderful couple from IA stay for a couple of nights. They said some things that made me wonder if they are potential B&B buyers on a scouting trip.
First they told me about a beautifully restored Victorian B&B in MN they stayed in recently that was for sale. They were treated badly by the burned-out husband innkeeper, and the wife innkeeper sat at breakfast with them and told them all about how she and her husband were divorcing as soon as their Inn sold. Asked me all kinds of questions about how hubs and I get along doing this together....I didn't think anything of their personal questions, I guess I was too aghast that an Innkeeper would talk to guests about that kind of thing to even notice.
Then, they were talking with guests at breakfast about being on a "fact finding mission", but would not be specific about it. Then at check out this morning, they said they were going to finish hitting the highlights of the area...had in fact grilled me at check-in about the most popular tourist attractions.
This morning at check out, they were exclaiming to me about the Inn, the attention to detail, the breakfast, how convenient the location was, blah blah blah. Then, they said "We've stayed in five B&B's just lately, and this one is at the top of our list"...and then gave each other a significant glance and little smile and said "You'll definitely be seeing us again".
I found that a little odd....considering these people are from Iowa and I'm in Northern Michigan.
For those of you who bought an existing B&B....did you stay at any For Sale Inns? If so, were you Inncognito, or up front about what you were doing?

We didn't end up buying a turnkey B&B but we looked at several to buy. We always stayed at least 2 nights and the owners knew that we were prospective buyers. We never let on to the other guests that either the Inn was for sale or we were looking at it to buy though.

We ALWAYS stayed an inns we were interested in and we ALWAYS..talked to the innkeepers and/or their realtor and told them in advance we were coming to stay and look at the property. Ghee whiz...why wouldn't someone do that. I mean...they would spend more time with you, show you EVERYTHING..and you don't have to skulk around trying to check things out or pump the innkeepers. Guess some people just don't get it. Better to be right up front about things.

When we stayed over the owners knew we were looking. Most of the time we didn't stay, even tho several of the innkeepers invited us to do so.
They could get one heck of a deal on that place with the divorcing couple!

In a way I can understand the not telling. Perhaps they have told in the past and were given the rosy glasses version of the area (and the inn) and found more fiction than fact. They may be trying to see reality of the area and what guests see and come here for and find out how satisfied guests are with the current ro see if they will be continuing or over-coming an inn's reputation.

I have seen too many inns close due to divorce. That is why in my Aspiring Seminars I advocate if anything other than a sole owner, run do not walk to the nearest GOOD lawyer and draw up a who gets what, does what in case of what legal document. I tell them it is a case of pay now or pay later and later costs more in dollars and emotions.

Are we morphing into the "How to run an inn with your partner and thrive" topic?
If so, I can think of several things that have made a BIG difference in harmonic innkeeping. They come complete with a wise cliche`.
1) Have clearly defined roles and expectations so you aren't washing the same dish twice or worse, washing the dishes so you don't have to dry `em.
2) Share the same goal and redefine it as often as needed to make sure the horses are all pulling in the same direction.
3) Your thought and cliche`?

Are we morphing into the "How to run an inn with your partner and thrive" topic?
If so, I can think of several things that have made a BIG difference in harmonic innkeeping. They come complete with a wise cliche`.
1) Have clearly defined roles and expectations so you aren't washing the same dish twice or worse, washing the dishes so you don't have to dry `em.
2) Share the same goal and redefine it as often as needed to make sure the horses are all pulling in the same direction.
3) Your thought and cliche`?.
I think you should start a new thread on just that topic :) I am open to suggestions!

Broker just called me....we have a showing of the Inn at 5:30pm tomorrow. Just what I need on a Friday night.......as if they aren't stressful enough. Wish me luck!

Broker just called me....we have a showing of the Inn at 5:30pm tomorrow. Just what I need on a Friday night.......as if they aren't stressful enough. Wish me luck!.
Little Blue said:
Broker just called me....we have a showing of the Inn at 5:30pm tomorrow. Just what I need on a Friday night.......as if they aren't stressful enough. Wish me luck!
Much worse if they are staying there! You will be awright. :)

Broker just called me....we have a showing of the Inn at 5:30pm tomorrow. Just what I need on a Friday night.......as if they aren't stressful enough. Wish me luck!.
Good luck! Hey, maybe it's folks that stayed with you the other day!

Aaargh. First my cell phone takes a crap...I'm on with TracFone forever, and at 12:30, the doorbell rings. My early arrival guests that were supposed to call me and let me know what time they would arrive are here. Their room was a checkout, but is luckily done....rest of house, not quite!
Then, I'm finishing the dishes and cleaning kitchen for this afternoon's realtor showing, and there is a knock on the kitchen/dining room door. I open it, and it's our other arrival today...here an hour and forty five minutes early (unexpectedly)..did not ring the doorbell, just walked right in through the front door that other guests did not (of course) lock behind them as I asked them to.
Suddenly, a little ray of sunshine in the form of a forum Innmate who off-forum emailed me with a little mood-booster and a good luck with for the showing.
Awwwww....thanks, I needed that!
wink_smile.gif

Aaargh. First my cell phone takes a crap...I'm on with TracFone forever, and at 12:30, the doorbell rings. My early arrival guests that were supposed to call me and let me know what time they would arrive are here. Their room was a checkout, but is luckily done....rest of house, not quite!
Then, I'm finishing the dishes and cleaning kitchen for this afternoon's realtor showing, and there is a knock on the kitchen/dining room door. I open it, and it's our other arrival today...here an hour and forty five minutes early (unexpectedly)..did not ring the doorbell, just walked right in through the front door that other guests did not (of course) lock behind them as I asked them to.
Suddenly, a little ray of sunshine in the form of a forum Innmate who off-forum emailed me with a little mood-booster and a good luck with for the showing.
Awwwww....thanks, I needed that!
wink_smile.gif
Murphy's Law on a busy day! Best of luck with the showing today :)

Well, I guess we're still in the running where my previous showing is concerned. They are hoping to find something a little bigger...lots of those around, but not for this price or occupancy!
I have a couple from in-state that has arranged a showing in a couple of weeks and are coming to stay the night before...booked at full rate. Another lady from out-of-state professes to have a bunch of cash and an interest in the Inn, but tried to get 2 comped rooms for three nights in October (my third busiest month) for her showing. She was incredulous that I would charge her anything, so I offered to credit her at closing
wink_smile.gif
Talk about poor buyer etiquette! Already I don't think she's worthy of my baby...cash or no cash!

Well, I guess we're still in the running where my previous showing is concerned. They are hoping to find something a little bigger...lots of those around, but not for this price or occupancy!
I have a couple from in-state that has arranged a showing in a couple of weeks and are coming to stay the night before...booked at full rate. Another lady from out-of-state professes to have a bunch of cash and an interest in the Inn, but tried to get 2 comped rooms for three nights in October (my third busiest month) for her showing. She was incredulous that I would charge her anything, so I offered to credit her at closing
wink_smile.gif
Talk about poor buyer etiquette! Already I don't think she's worthy of my baby...cash or no cash!.
Little Blue said:
wink_smile.gif
Talk about poor buyer etiquette! Already I don't think she's worthy of my baby...cash or no cash!
THE NERVE! She doesn't have a clue!
pita.gif

wink_smile.gif
Talk about poor buyer etiquette! Already I don't think she's worthy of my baby...cash or no cash!.
Another lady from out-of-state professes to have a bunch of cash and an interest in the Inn, but tried to get 2 comped rooms for three nights in October (my third busiest month) for her showing.
And just how many vacations does she finance this way every year? Anyone can SAY they are interested in buying but all it is, is say. I go into a lot of stores to LOOK but I do not ask them to give me anything for free because I am looking.

Back