Failing to believe

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
My failure to believe we could hold to our 2 night minimums on the weekends has left me two weekends running with whole house turnovers on Saturday and Sunday. I'm still trying to catch up from last weekend's laundry.
It was such a lousy summer season, I just wanted to bring in some money to pay bills. Ugh.
We had more one night stays this year than ever before. No long stays at all.

I suspect that many are renting houses they got on air or vrb o. Many homeowners are letting their places go for 3-4 nights at discount rates.

I suspect that many are renting houses they got on air or vrb o. Many homeowners are letting their places go for 3-4 nights at discount rates..
Exchange rate was too high for Canadians. It's a domino effect. Plus, yes, you can get a house for half the cost of a room.

We just had one on Sunday. Of course we got the new Washer/Dryer on Saturday. Three loads instead of 4 definitely made a difference. I can wash 3 sets of sheets at the same time... woohoo!

Quieter year here as well, or perhaps the last few were just extra good and now I'm spoiled with having done well a few years. New hotel in town and on a couple of years delays on construction of student housing had a complex lodging students in motel rooms.

Morticia, is a laundry service not feasible for you? I know we talked about it. It was a life saver for me ... and a septic system savior!

Morticia, is a laundry service not feasible for you? I know we talked about it. It was a life saver for me ... and a septic system savior!.
seashanty said:
Morticia, is a laundry service not feasible for you? I know we talked about it. It was a life saver for me ... and a septic system savior!
It's too late in the season now. I swore I would get one last year and again this year! Still haven't done it.

Morticia, is a laundry service not feasible for you? I know we talked about it. It was a life saver for me ... and a septic system savior!.
seashanty said:
It's too late in the season now. I swore I would get one last year and again this year! Still haven't done it.
GET ONE NOW!!!!!

Question, does laundry service wash your linen (and care for it) or do they provide linen to you? When we first started there was a laundry service in place, they supplied and washed linen, but it was not something I would put on our beds today and their service was not the best (slow). We may not be as busy as many of you, but for information where would one look for a service, am I looking for a national company or a local individual?

Question, does laundry service wash your linen (and care for it) or do they provide linen to you? When we first started there was a laundry service in place, they supplied and washed linen, but it was not something I would put on our beds today and their service was not the best (slow). We may not be as busy as many of you, but for information where would one look for a service, am I looking for a national company or a local individual?
Depends on the company. Some do your sheets, some rent sheets. And of course the good ones have different quality levels of sheets that they rent.

The laundry service in the area (a few towns away) picked up my own linens (sheets, towels, tablecloths, napkins) I marked each in an inconspicuous place. They were awesome. Picked up dirty and dropped off clean on Monday, Wednesday and Friday (Monday was a big pickup day). I had wash and fold with liquid starch in the wash - you would think they ironed the bed linens but they didn't.
This may seem like an extravagance, but the amount of laundry for eight guest rooms is staggering. It's your (or someone's) labor, your water, your detergent, your appliances, your utilities. Worked out for me.
Also - I am well known for offering coffee in to-go cups to anyone who makes deliveries or provides a service. I always make too much coffee anyway, preferring to have too much than having to make more - and can spare a muffin or two whenever. Believe me, this goes a long way to insuring great service. Sometimes the driver would arrive before I was ready with all the soiled linens and he'd pick up at a few other places then come back to me; sit and relax a few minutes with a coffee in the library or on the porch. Hard working guy who deserved a little appreciation. I also give each a homemade pie or loaf of banana bread on occasion. All packed up and ready to go. I have been doing this for years.
JimBoone said:

JimBoone said:
There is a locally owned company here that does the laundry service. They will use my sheets or rent sheets to me.

seashanty said:
At the PA inn we have a laundry service that does the top sheets and pillowcases along with the restaurant stuff. They come back folded and ironed. We could never do all the laundry here! The downside is having enough of it especially on holidays when they are closed.

It's been forever ago, but I got a month trial at a great rate when first signed up. And it was easy to 'pause' the service when closed for the season.

Any chance you could set up some rooms to allow 1-night stays and others to require 2? I use Reservation Key and I sometimes open up 2 of my rooms to single-night stays. I also sometimes charge a $30 premium for a single-night stay, depending on the season.

Any chance you could set up some rooms to allow 1-night stays and others to require 2? I use Reservation Key and I sometimes open up 2 of my rooms to single-night stays. I also sometimes charge a $30 premium for a single-night stay, depending on the season.

The laundry service in the area (a few towns away) picked up my own linens (sheets, towels, tablecloths, napkins) I marked each in an inconspicuous place. They were awesome. Picked up dirty and dropped off clean on Monday, Wednesday and Friday (Monday was a big pickup day). I had wash and fold with liquid starch in the wash - you would think they ironed the bed linens but they didn't.
This may seem like an extravagance, but the amount of laundry for eight guest rooms is staggering. It's your (or someone's) labor, your water, your detergent, your appliances, your utilities. Worked out for me.
Also - I am well known for offering coffee in to-go cups to anyone who makes deliveries or provides a service. I always make too much coffee anyway, preferring to have too much than having to make more - and can spare a muffin or two whenever. Believe me, this goes a long way to insuring great service. Sometimes the driver would arrive before I was ready with all the soiled linens and he'd pick up at a few other places then come back to me; sit and relax a few minutes with a coffee in the library or on the porch. Hard working guy who deserved a little appreciation. I also give each a homemade pie or loaf of banana bread on occasion. All packed up and ready to go. I have been doing this for years.
JimBoone said:
Thanks for the suggestion, sounds like I should ask around at least for future reference. We have 8 rooms, up to 16 beds if we are lucky to be full, maybe lucky that it is mostly centered around the weekends that we may be that busy and we have the advantage that we don't serve food as most on the forun do.
Funny how the passage of 26 years slows you down, this year has been nice with daughter and husband living next door and being involved, getting some of those long needed projects accomplished with the extra hands.
Thanks again, I keep learning from my friends here on the forum

I can keep up with eight rooms, four of which are multiple beds with a double loader. Is it the microfiber or am I superwoman? Still, I am so glad I have a newer double loader at home next door for a spare. And I'm lucky to be able to mange on only a 2x stock or less. I think that if there is any way to do it yourself that you'll be glad for the extra control and savings. After all, any service is going to make at least a markup after expenses. Do all our housekeepers get all the hours they would like? Maybe I just like doing laundry. Who knows? I do think we are all more careful with things when there is ownership.

seashanty said:
GET ONE NOW!!!!!
What he said. You deserve it and will truly appreciate the extra time you will have to see to other things.

Back