Fake Phone Company Scam

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JunieBJones (JBJ)

Reaction score
Here is the latest, which I already heard about so was prepared when they called me.
This is your phone company, we made a mistake on your phone bill...blah blah
Caller ID says PRIVATE CALLER
I say to her "Why would the phone company be calling me? They would send out a statement or a correction on my next statement"
She argued then hung up on me. I guess that is another thing the phone company does to its customers?
They will call and get YOUR information to rip you off. The phone company NEVER calls YOU.

Yes, the phone company does not need to call you to rip you off - they can do it without lifting a finger.

smileystooges.gif

Not to correct a bill, but they DO call all the time to offer new services. At least they did until I told them to stop calling us. Now they send snail mail...

I just talked to hubs about this one and he said we got called. (Because he will talk to ANYONE, we got more info on it...) They say you have been paying too much for some service and they can take care of the problem with your ok right now. You say anything resembling 'yes' and they slam you by switching your phone service.
A lot of this is happening here as we are switching phone services across the state.

I just talked to hubs about this one and he said we got called. (Because he will talk to ANYONE, we got more info on it...) They say you have been paying too much for some service and they can take care of the problem with your ok right now. You say anything resembling 'yes' and they slam you by switching your phone service.
A lot of this is happening here as we are switching phone services across the state..
not this again! these calls seem to go away and then they resurface .. like the printer supplies and the telephone directory listings.

Slamming is old hat, that has been going on for a decade, this is a new scam. And they are not from Overseas like most phone company rep's you speak to! FIRST CLUE!

I got rid of all land lines back in 2000. I guess that's one way to put an end to that scam!

LOL. I haven't found a phone cord long enough yet! Actually, large boats are wired for phones and I have phone jacks all over the place. There is a phone hook up at the pedestal on the dock.
I got rid of my land lines back when I still had a house, though. For me, it just didn't make sense to pay two phone bills.

we received a call a few months ago from a lady claiming to be from the USDA. she said we were being fined for not cooperating with food safety guidelines & regulations. we were being fined because we did not respond to them when they (USDA) notified us. i told her we had not, at any point in time, received a notice. to be honest, she freaked me out a little at first. i'm a 1 year innkeeping "veteran" so i though maybe this is really true. she said the health inspector would be stopping by that week sometime. I've always worked in the restaurant field so i'm quite familiar with the healh inspector concept. she also said that i would have to purchase some of the food regulation sines for $199.00. that is the part that made me think something was not right. i told her i was not interested in buying any posters. she seemed a little ticked off & hung up.my call i.d. said the # was a Quebec #. she gave me a fax number too. when i dialed that i got the front desk of a motor inn in Mass.
i called our local USDA office & told them the call i just received. any legitimate agency is not going to respond with anger the way the scammers do. the lady @ the office told me that it was the first report of such a call they had received, owever they had received reports of people told they were being fined for using tomatoes. (this was during the big tomato scare)
a few days later the scammer called back to see if i had thought any more about ourchasing the posters so as to avoid being fined. i told her i did not believe she was really "Jane Matthews" and that i was not falling for her little trick & nicetry. she told me she did not know what i was talking about & that she had never told me we would be fined. i told her i had reported her to the real USDA. again, she got mad, said "whatever" & hung up (slammed down) the phone. Haven't heard from "Jane" since.
i know my post is rather long but that i9s the gist of the story. Anybody else gotten any calls along this line?

we received a call a few months ago from a lady claiming to be from the USDA. she said we were being fined for not cooperating with food safety guidelines & regulations. we were being fined because we did not respond to them when they (USDA) notified us. i told her we had not, at any point in time, received a notice. to be honest, she freaked me out a little at first. i'm a 1 year innkeeping "veteran" so i though maybe this is really true. she said the health inspector would be stopping by that week sometime. I've always worked in the restaurant field so i'm quite familiar with the healh inspector concept. she also said that i would have to purchase some of the food regulation sines for $199.00. that is the part that made me think something was not right. i told her i was not interested in buying any posters. she seemed a little ticked off & hung up.my call i.d. said the # was a Quebec #. she gave me a fax number too. when i dialed that i got the front desk of a motor inn in Mass.
i called our local USDA office & told them the call i just received. any legitimate agency is not going to respond with anger the way the scammers do. the lady @ the office told me that it was the first report of such a call they had received, owever they had received reports of people told they were being fined for using tomatoes. (this was during the big tomato scare)
a few days later the scammer called back to see if i had thought any more about ourchasing the posters so as to avoid being fined. i told her i did not believe she was really "Jane Matthews" and that i was not falling for her little trick & nicetry. she told me she did not know what i was talking about & that she had never told me we would be fined. i told her i had reported her to the real USDA. again, she got mad, said "whatever" & hung up (slammed down) the phone. Haven't heard from "Jane" since.
i know my post is rather long but that i9s the gist of the story. Anybody else gotten any calls along this line?.
mollysmom said:
we received a call a few months ago from a lady claiming to be from the USDA. . . . .
i know my post is rather long but that i9s the gist of the story. Anybody else gotten any calls along this line?
Yep. Read about it here.

i know my post is rather long but that i9s the gist of the story. Anybody else gotten any calls along this line?.
YEP...lots of people. We have discussed this here before. And may I add being a former USDA employee...they don't do local inspections nor do they care.This is strictly up to state and local health dept. When a scammer like this calls..JUST HANG U DO NOT DEAL WITH THEM!!!
help.gif

oh, i guess i haven't roamed around quite enough through the site to realize this was already a post. sorry to be a repeat

Back