Fake Review

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samster

Reaction score
Well, we are the victim of a horrible, fake review on TripAdvisor. Not only is it a fake review but it is a personal attack on ME. Since we're not a huge property and I have a good guest management system, I can go back and see that this person never stayed here. Why they chose to do this is beyond my reasoning. I have posted a management response and have emailed TripAdvisor to tell them that it's a fraudulent review. All of our other reviews are 5 stars or bubbles or whatever you call them. I will let you know the outcome.

Sorry to hear that Samster. Good luck with getting it removed.
What is there about the review that allows you to connect it to people not actually staying with you through your guest managment system? Is it just dates, or did they reveal personal info in the review?

I'm so sorry for you Samster. What a waste of precious time, emotion and energy TA is for us little guys. I despise it.
In our area it seems like innkeepers have had good success in getting fraudulent or even very nasty type reviews removed so I do hope you'll pursue that. Please keep us posted, and I am sending some good vibes your way.
At least you know the review is fraudulent, and you're not sitting stewing about some picky little thing that someone complained about (like I was last week...when I banned myself from even looking at TA, I just don't care anymore and I'm not losing any more sleep over it).

The same person, same date, also gave a bad review to the other inn in town. Now tell me they aren't up to something!!! They talk abouthow nice another INN in your town is....hmmmmm....Says they are from NV. I doubt that is true either. Definitely file a complaint with TA to have it removed. I don't know how you can prove they didn't stay there, but perhaps your records for the date in question will help you. Want me to send them a message???
devil_smile.gif

We've had something similar happen, on both TA and bb.com. If you dispute the review, both of those companies will require the guest to provide proof of their stay. If this person did not stay with you, the review will be removed....ours was.

What is there about the review that allows you to connect it to people not actually staying with you through your guest managment system? Is it just dates, or did they reveal personal info in the review?.
As Catlady said, they also posted a bad review about another property & in that review said some nice things about another inn. We actually had very few guests in the month that this person said that they stayed here for one thing. From the reviewer's profile, I can look at my guests and tell that none of them fit that (I suppose they can change the type of guest) and I have never had anyone at all from the State that this person says they're from. I suppose that could be a lie as well. I refer to the other places all the time, so there really shouldn't be an axe to grind with me as far as the other properties go and I tell people how nice the other B&Bs are and what their features are.
The review posted about our place is a personal attack on yours truly. There are no specifics about our B&B. I am sick over this since it's a pack of vicious lies about me personally. It is a very mean spirited thing to do.

We've had something similar happen, on both TA and bb.com. If you dispute the review, both of those companies will require the guest to provide proof of their stay. If this person did not stay with you, the review will be removed....ours was..
Thank YOU! I've taken the steps with TA. Knowing that you had success is helping this horrible knot in my stomach a little bit. I just don't understand how someone could do this? It's totally bizarre to me.

What is there about the review that allows you to connect it to people not actually staying with you through your guest managment system? Is it just dates, or did they reveal personal info in the review?.
As Catlady said, they also posted a bad review about another property & in that review said some nice things about another inn. We actually had very few guests in the month that this person said that they stayed here for one thing. From the reviewer's profile, I can look at my guests and tell that none of them fit that (I suppose they can change the type of guest) and I have never had anyone at all from the State that this person says they're from. I suppose that could be a lie as well. I refer to the other places all the time, so there really shouldn't be an axe to grind with me as far as the other properties go and I tell people how nice the other B&Bs are and what their features are.
The review posted about our place is a personal attack on yours truly. There are no specifics about our B&B. I am sick over this since it's a pack of vicious lies about me personally. It is a very mean spirited thing to do.
Well, you don't know for sure who it is...could be a guest hiding behind a fake profile. But just post your management review and see if they will remove the comments. Hopefully they will.

We've had something similar happen, on both TA and bb.com. If you dispute the review, both of those companies will require the guest to provide proof of their stay. If this person did not stay with you, the review will be removed....ours was..
A friend had a bogus review posted. The guests never stayed at the B & B. But, because they had "interaction" with them on their front porch...TA would not remove the review.

terrible! this is exactly what i was talking about in the recent post about reviews ... shameful.

I am so sorry Sammy. I understand having been there recently with TA too.
Send them your management response and also send them the part about bogus reviews. They will remove it. It will take about 5 days to a week.
Hang in there!

Send them your management response and also send them the part about bogus reviews. They will remove it. It will take about 5 days to a week.
Hang in there!.
Thanks, inn-mates! I'll let you know what happens. I am certain that the person who posted this was not a guest here and can't imagine what prompted them to write what they did :-( I have been racking my brain all day. Time to call a halt to obsessing about it like InnsiderInfo said.....

Hang in there!.
Thanks, inn-mates! I'll let you know what happens. I am certain that the person who posted this was not a guest here and can't imagine what prompted them to write what they did :-( I have been racking my brain all day. Time to call a halt to obsessing about it like InnsiderInfo said.....
Samster said:
I hope you were able to do that and get a good night's rest last night Samster. I feel so badly for you. It stinks all around. It makes you wonder what kind of person would number one lie about someone else, and number two inflict this kind of genuine angst on someone they likely don't even know. I truly believe in karma, and I hope what goes around comes around for this person.

Hang in there!.
Samster said:
I hope you were able to do that and get a good night's rest last night Samster. I feel so badly for you. It stinks all around. It makes you wonder what kind of person would number one lie about someone else, and number two inflict this kind of genuine angst on someone they likely don't even know. I truly believe in karma, and I hope what goes around comes around for this person.
Some

Samster I was away, but wanted to tell you that you excel, your attitude, your professionalism, your hospitality are top notch.
I am so sorry to find you had a bogus review and hope it can be deleted soon and not cause you more stress.
"Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger"
...or in my case "I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger." — The Joker

I just had a horrible review that was a personal attack as well. I was able to log into Tripadvisor and select that review and let Trip Advisor know it was a personal attack. The review has been taken down. They said it would take 14 days to investigate it. I am still waiting to hear the outcome but for now I am glad the review is off for now.

Samster, I feel for you. This really stinks! I hope TA pulls through for you. I am pleased to hear that others have been able to get phoney reviews removed, and pray that it works for you. I anxiously await the outcome.

I just had a horrible review that was a personal attack as well. I was able to log into Tripadvisor and select that review and let Trip Advisor know it was a personal attack. The review has been taken down. They said it would take 14 days to investigate it. I am still waiting to hear the outcome but for now I am glad the review is off for now..
oceans said:
I just had a horrible review that was a personal attack as well. I was able to log into Tripadvisor and select that review and let Trip Advisor know it was a personal attack. The review has been taken down. They said it would take 14 days to investigate it. I am still waiting to hear the outcome but for now I am glad the review is off for now.
That is awful. Why do people feel the need to DO this? It just perplexes me.

I just had a horrible review that was a personal attack as well. I was able to log into Tripadvisor and select that review and let Trip Advisor know it was a personal attack. The review has been taken down. They said it would take 14 days to investigate it. I am still waiting to hear the outcome but for now I am glad the review is off for now..
I am glad that they pulled that bad review for you. The one that was posted about our property is still up there but my management response was finally posted. The other property is attempting to fight theirs as well. I'll let everyone know what happens. If I thought this was an actual guest, I would take my lumps, try to do better, and continue to try to improve my business. I'm still trying to do better and improve my business :)

Did you check with the other Innkeeper and see if you guys had the same person listed as a guest this year? If I remember correctly didn't they say they stayed at the other Inn early in the year?

Back