fake TA reviews

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You must have missed reading about this in the other thread. I still don't see how they can catch these people.There are so many ways to get anonymous email accounts. How can they possibly track down people who post onTA and other review sites?

You must have missed reading about this in the other thread. I still don't see how they can catch these people.There are so many ways to get anonymous email accounts. How can they possibly track down people who post onTA and other review sites?.
catlady said:
You must have missed reading about this in the other thread. I still don't see how they can catch these people.There are so many ways to get anonymous email accounts. How can they possibly track down people who post onTA and other review sites?
If it gets deemed illegal to post fake reviews then the law could force TripAdvisor to let them know who they are since they had to register to post They can be tracked by their IP addresses or whatever they are called. It has to get enough big corporations behind this and then it just may happen.
I'm hoping this news alone will reduce the number of fake reviews. I don't agree that you can't threaten a person but you can a company. What's the difference!
RIki

There is always a way for scammers and schemers to skate the system. (tongue twister) Companies pay big bucks for security experts now.
But there is never room for innkeepers, imo to call other innkeepers false. Like in this article here by a former innspiring member who got ticked off at someone or a few here and is sadly turned red coat and now putting innkeepers in her target instead of focusing on innkeeping.
As long as we do our best, in all honesty in all we do, we can let this sort of thing be water off a ducks back. There are plenty out there who want to take pot-shots. Just like the negative reviews, it is just another piece of sand in our sandal as we walk along the beach to irritate us, don't allow it to take control and steal your thunder!
Sure there are those who simply should not be innkeepers, but that is their choice in life, we just need to focus on what we do day to day to make a difference in those we touch.
You count where you are right now. The rest is...as they say...gravy.
regular_smile.gif

There is always a way for scammers and schemers to skate the system. (tongue twister) Companies pay big bucks for security experts now.
But there is never room for innkeepers, imo to call other innkeepers false. Like in this article here by a former innspiring member who got ticked off at someone or a few here and is sadly turned red coat and now putting innkeepers in her target instead of focusing on innkeeping.
As long as we do our best, in all honesty in all we do, we can let this sort of thing be water off a ducks back. There are plenty out there who want to take pot-shots. Just like the negative reviews, it is just another piece of sand in our sandal as we walk along the beach to irritate us, don't allow it to take control and steal your thunder!
Sure there are those who simply should not be innkeepers, but that is their choice in life, we just need to focus on what we do day to day to make a difference in those we touch.
regular_smile.gif
Oh JB you just made me laugh out loud! I had forgotten that particular very nasty can of worms. Can you say "Too much free time"? That's the real tip off that one's never been an actual innkeeper or inn owner.
Keep on keepin' on my lovelies!

regular_smile.gif
I wondered where she went......

regular_smile.gif
Yowsa! That is one interesting blog post.
An element of truth in there is that innkeepers do need to focus on their mission - to provide hospitality service in the best fashion that they know. The rest will sort itself out, I think.

I am not saying there is total untruth in the blog article. But why focus on innkeepers and the title Named and Shamed is somewhat bothersome.
I will say that when I swap a stay for a stay it is with an innmate and I appreciate everything they do and offer their guests - me being one of them! Most always innkeepers are the most critical, we all know this, and to receive a nice review from an innkeeper STAY is a boon. I won't lie, I won't say things I do not mean on any review. But again, that's me, I don't lie. I will not pay back anyone with a review from staying there, good or bad. I review because I want to review. So insinuating my stay with you <insert your inn here> will automatically garner a top review is bulldust.
The concept of FAKE REVIEW in the blog article need not apply to innkeepers, that is all I am saying. The focus can be placed elsewhere, esp if you count yourself amongst our numbers. But alas, we are the target more and more from disgruntled ex forum members. We learn to expect it. Whether the row was with an innkeeper or not on this forum.
I guess I should have put this in the news under blog with the other inn the news, but this title was already here today, so it fit.

I am not saying there is total untruth in the blog article. But why focus on innkeepers and the title Named and Shamed is somewhat bothersome.
I will say that when I swap a stay for a stay it is with an innmate and I appreciate everything they do and offer their guests - me being one of them! Most always innkeepers are the most critical, we all know this, and to receive a nice review from an innkeeper STAY is a boon. I won't lie, I won't say things I do not mean on any review. But again, that's me, I don't lie. I will not pay back anyone with a review from staying there, good or bad. I review because I want to review. So insinuating my stay with you <insert your inn here> will automatically garner a top review is bulldust.
The concept of FAKE REVIEW in the blog article need not apply to innkeepers, that is all I am saying. The focus can be placed elsewhere, esp if you count yourself amongst our numbers. But alas, we are the target more and more from disgruntled ex forum members. We learn to expect it. Whether the row was with an innkeeper or not on this forum.
I guess I should have put this in the news under blog with the other inn the news, but this title was already here today, so it fit..
I agree. Just because there is an inn swap does not mean we can't evaluate the inn. We did stay there, after all.
RIki

I guess I should have put this in the news under blog with the other inn the news, but this title was already here today, so it fit..
Oh, JB, I agree with you 100% about how that blog article appears to target innkeepers in a very unflattering light.
And, if we post a review about an inn where we stayed and tell the truth about our experience, there is nothing in any of that which could be construed as "fake". That is ridiculous!

I try and be generous with my reviews as i know I am not like a normal guest ie pull out the sheets and look at the mattress and so on.I wouldn't say anything that wasn't true but I do tend to be a soft touch with the staff. Ie So and So staff was really nice as I know what it means in a big hotel to be recognised it really makes all the difference.

Eh.......I didn't take the article in the way some here has..
It appeared to be a blog regarding fake reviews. Reviews of untruths.
The topic of innkeepers friends posting reviews has been discussed here...and speculations have been aired......This does relate to the article.
Innkeeper to Innkeeper stays.....Well.....sure one can post a glowing review.....think about this one.....how realistic is it?......the guest innkeeper is an insider of the industry......I'm in no way discouraging it.....just say'n

I say innkeepers are the harshest critics, so if you get a good one from them it is worth its weight in gold! I say the opposite to what others assume on this topic. I know, just had two here this week. Not innmates, innkeepers.

I say innkeepers are the harshest critics, so if you get a good one from them it is worth its weight in gold! I say the opposite to what others assume on this topic. I know, just had two here this week. Not innmates, innkeepers..
I am with you on this, other than ourselves I don't think we have any "harsher" critics than other innkeepers, friends or no.

I think this maybe was discussed before but I can't find it. Does anyone know how to turn off the banb.com reviews that show up on Webervations now? Thanks

I think this maybe was discussed before but I can't find it. Does anyone know how to turn off the banb.com reviews that show up on Webervations now? Thanks.
The discussion of such reviews...I don't recall a specific thread....I do recall it being within threads

I think this maybe was discussed before but I can't find it. Does anyone know how to turn off the banb.com reviews that show up on Webervations now? Thanks.
catlady said:
I think this maybe was discussed before but I can't find it. Does anyone know how to turn off the banb.com reviews that show up on Webervations now? Thanks
go to Property Info; Name & Address and near the bottom of the page you can UN Check the box :
Show BedandBreakfast.com Guest Reviews on your Booking Engine
Have BedandBreakfast.com ask your guests to review your property

I say innkeepers are the harshest critics, so if you get a good one from them it is worth its weight in gold! I say the opposite to what others assume on this topic. I know, just had two here this week. Not innmates, innkeepers..
I am with you on this, other than ourselves I don't think we have any "harsher" critics than other innkeepers, friends or no.
Don Draper said:
I agree. I think it would be the same for chefs visiting other restaurants. Florists visiting other floral shops....

The hardest part of this review thing for me is that it is a failure to get less then all 5's and seriously how many people always give 5's? That alone has totally goofed ups its validity for me. People feel obligated to give 5's so as not to be mean and we as innkeepers feel slighted if we get less then all 5's. Really pretty dumb.

Back