fake TA reviews

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The hardest part of this review thing for me is that it is a failure to get less then all 5's and seriously how many people always give 5's? That alone has totally goofed ups its validity for me. People feel obligated to give 5's so as not to be mean and we as innkeepers feel slighted if we get less then all 5's. Really pretty dumb..
Really good point...just as it's important to realize that when you get a bad review it doesn't mean you're BAD, when you get a great review it doesn't mean you're GREAT either! Too many people let their whole innkeeping ego/identity get so wrapped up in this thing.
I think just doing our best is all any of us can do, and let the chips fall where they may. The percentage of repeat guests we get is what I use to gauge how well we're doing, to me it's concrete proof that I've met someone's expectations.

The hardest part of this review thing for me is that it is a failure to get less then all 5's and seriously how many people always give 5's? That alone has totally goofed ups its validity for me. People feel obligated to give 5's so as not to be mean and we as innkeepers feel slighted if we get less then all 5's. Really pretty dumb..
Really good point...just as it's important to realize that when you get a bad review it doesn't mean you're BAD, when you get a great review it doesn't mean you're GREAT either! Too many people let their whole innkeeping ego/identity get so wrapped up in this thing.
I think just doing our best is all any of us can do, and let the chips fall where they may. The percentage of repeat guests we get is what I use to gauge how well we're doing, to me it's concrete proof that I've met someone's expectations.
Well, in a world where we usually are evaluated in some manner, the reviews serve as the innkeeper's feedback. Yes, a 4 isn't perfect...but how many of us are perfect??? So don't let those 4's bother you...you are doing a great job!
As far as repeat customers being a gauge of success.....I never felt that way.
I have only stayed at the same B & B once. And that was because we were thinking of buying it.
I like to try out different ones when we travel. Of course now, it is mostly hotels ...sorry folks.
For most of our guests, they were traveling here and for the most part only once so I really never expected to see them back again. We did have some repeats and I enjoyed having them back, but never counted on seeing most of our guests again. They move on to other places and other inns. That was ok with me.

Agree with CL, I am not one who goes back to the same vacation spot every year, in fact never had I in my life. I am too much of an explorer, life is too short to repeat!
If you are not a repeat destination B&B, don't be dismayed, it just possibly just means you have provided a lovely stay and perhaps given your guests the B&B bug! That was something I did not get in the early years here but do now! I just hope other B&B's give our guests the same great experience. :) CHEERS INNMATES!

When I am asked for a review for so many things that either are by phone or through the mail........
I never give the best score for an overall evaluation.......specific questions I can more easily provide the highest score.
I don't think any person or organization is 100% perfect, all the time.....myself included.........I do think many strive for that perfection, myself included......I can recognize that and will score accordingly.
I can always have some issue with a particular aspect and question.
Take the TA question of value..........regardless of industry.....if that or similar question is asked.......scale of 1-5.....will get a 4 from me.......1-10 will get an 8 or 9 from me.............over all satisfaction......4 or an 8-9........if asked about the particular person.......that I can give the 5 or the 10

Ooh, can't forget the guest referrals too! When someone is willing to send their parents/childrens/neighbors to you I think that is the highest compliment we can get!
Speaking of which, my future brother-in-law's parents are coming to stay with us in a few weeks, and during their stay they will get to meet mine and my sister's parents with yours truly making dinner for all of them...we've actually met the in-law's before so are very happy to get to be the "parental buffers" for my sis and her fiance!

I say innkeepers are the harshest critics, so if you get a good one from them it is worth its weight in gold! I say the opposite to what others assume on this topic. I know, just had two here this week. Not innmates, innkeepers..
JB, absolutely! Innkeepers see all and look at EVERYTHING! If you get a great review from an innkeeper, you are doing something (if not everything) right!! I don't think anyone can or should try to take that away from you.

I say innkeepers are the harshest critics, so if you get a good one from them it is worth its weight in gold! I say the opposite to what others assume on this topic. I know, just had two here this week. Not innmates, innkeepers..
I am with you on this, other than ourselves I don't think we have any "harsher" critics than other innkeepers, friends or no.
Don Draper said:
I am with you on this, other than ourselves I don't think we have any "harsher" critics than other innkeepers, friends or no.
I agree. I think it would be the same for chefs visiting other restaurants. Florists visiting other floral shops....
I think it would be the same for chefs visiting other restaurants.
Not with all. Our oldest son is a chef who was vited Chef of the Year by his peers in 2006. When he came for a visit we went to one of our finest restaurants and we asked him about the food. His only comment was it was interesting. He says each chef does things differently. He will not critique.

There is always a way for scammers and schemers to skate the system. (tongue twister) Companies pay big bucks for security experts now.
But there is never room for innkeepers, imo to call other innkeepers false. Like in this article here by a former innspiring member who got ticked off at someone or a few here and is sadly turned red coat and now putting innkeepers in her target instead of focusing on innkeeping.
As long as we do our best, in all honesty in all we do, we can let this sort of thing be water off a ducks back. There are plenty out there who want to take pot-shots. Just like the negative reviews, it is just another piece of sand in our sandal as we walk along the beach to irritate us, don't allow it to take control and steal your thunder!
Sure there are those who simply should not be innkeepers, but that is their choice in life, we just need to focus on what we do day to day to make a difference in those we touch.
You count where you are right now. The rest is...as they say...gravy.
regular_smile.gif
Lets put it this way, after reading that blog, I would never hire her as MY innsitter.

Had a family group and they actually asked what website would it be nice for us to have a eally good review put on! That to me is the highest compliament. (they were super nice people and no bother at all)

would TA allow us to give a managerial response to ALL reviews so we can harness that resource (like a blog..i suppose).?
borrowing JB's wise counsel about honesty.
e.g "the glowing report you have just read was from my sister in law but we thank her for her observations during her stay as they are mostly true"
or "we agree our coffee is not up to B and B standard but we have now installed a self serve expresso machine in the main communal kitchen."
"Our reservation dairy records thatwe had NO guests at the time of the complaint"
"Our guest incident book notes that there was a guest on that date that breached our policies of sleeping 2 friends on the floor and that that guest threatened to write an adverse review "
"we are grateful for that guest's negative feedback as we have revised our cleaing procedures so that even 1 stray hair will not ever be found again on the 2nd chair on the right hand side of the outdoor setting which is 52 yards from the accommodation area. Also we made ernest endevours to return that stray hair to its previous owner but our time cosuming meticulous cleaning protocol precluded a sucessful outcome".
that time of thing. just saying reviewers can put what they like. The management response is based on recorded fact. that's fair isn't. If TA does not embrace HONESTY then in the LONG run it is TA TA Tripadvisor hello YELP. J.J.

do not worry about me as, like alot of reviewers I cannot be traced(not yet anyway)as I am only an inspiring at this stage but the TA site is becoming very CONTAMINATED and the more intelligent and saavy FUTURE travellers will bypass the gorilla and utilise sites like YELP that will give them more veracity and therefore more validiy in their search.(unless Expedia buy YELP as they did TA.) JJ.

would TA allow us to give a managerial response to ALL reviews so we can harness that resource (like a blog..i suppose).?
borrowing JB's wise counsel about honesty.
e.g "the glowing report you have just read was from my sister in law but we thank her for her observations during her stay as they are mostly true"
or "we agree our coffee is not up to B and B standard but we have now installed a self serve expresso machine in the main communal kitchen."
"Our reservation dairy records thatwe had NO guests at the time of the complaint"
"Our guest incident book notes that there was a guest on that date that breached our policies of sleeping 2 friends on the floor and that that guest threatened to write an adverse review "
"we are grateful for that guest's negative feedback as we have revised our cleaing procedures so that even 1 stray hair will not ever be found again on the 2nd chair on the right hand side of the outdoor setting which is 52 yards from the accommodation area. Also we made ernest endevours to return that stray hair to its previous owner but our time cosuming meticulous cleaning protocol precluded a sucessful outcome".
that time of thing. just saying reviewers can put what they like. The management response is based on recorded fact. that's fair isn't. If TA does not embrace HONESTY then in the LONG run it is TA TA Tripadvisor hello YELP. J.J..
I posted a Manager's Response to all our reviews on TA, band. com, etc. Just something that I observed that another innkeeper did that I thought was nice since it recognized the people that had taken time to post a review.

Back