"Falling in love with a place like you would with a person."

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is beautiful. I lived in WV for 10 years....didn't grow up there, but I appreciate the truth in this essay. Very nice non-B&B diversion for my coffee break this morning!

A friend of mine who I haven't seen forever...wrote a book about living in our small town. It was wonderful. Brought back so many memories and chuckles from me. I had to take the time to explain what I was reading to my husband. Here's a some info and a review: http://wvgazette.com/Entertainment/201004230575

There are a few forum innmates who do not live there currently but had. I thought it was very sweet. I subscribed to the blog and twitter from The Revivalist (http://therevivalist.info)
@The__Revivalist All over Appalachia
The Revivalist delivers the word from the Appalachian South. It's a blog for anyone who flatfoots, who hikes the AT, and who eats applebutter by the spoonful.

There are a few forum innmates who do not live there currently but had. I thought it was very sweet. I subscribed to the blog and twitter from The Revivalist (http://therevivalist.info)
@The__Revivalist All over Appalachia
The Revivalist delivers the word from the Appalachian South. It's a blog for anyone who flatfoots, who hikes the AT, and who eats applebutter by the spoonful..
I agree
thumbs_up.gif

The other day someone wrote to me and said, "I'll be coming to your state next week." And I thought, "I wonder why he's going to West Virginia?" He wasn't. He was coming to California. But I still, in my marrow, think of you as "my state." I only hope you still think of me as your son.
I have grandparents and great-grandparents buried in your ground. I have family living in the curves of your hills. I have pieces of me scattered all across your land. And I have the best parts of you locked here in my heart.
Although my family is buried across the Ohio in Steubenville, I understand exactly what he is saying,. For me, whereever I lived, I was from West Virginia and going home meant West Virginia. Being dragged back at least once a year for a dose of hills injected that love into DH, and although from time to time he reverts to Illinoisan in a comment, he also has grown to love this State. To illustrate - while away, I had at least 2 or 3 trips in some stage of planning and since coming back, I leave only when I have to (the Europe trip was special to see my brother) for family stuff or business. I am now content with where I am and WHO I am.
As we traveled around the Country, we encountered many people from West Virginia and there were only 2 categories, no middle of the road. They were either "I would go back in a heartbeat if I could make a living" or the "I don't care if I ever see that GD, god-forsaken State again as long as i live". But many, who cannot get back in their lifetime, come home to be buried.
Thank you, JB. It was nice to read what I felt put into words. Growing up, I could not wait to get out of WV, and after i left, I could not wait to get back!

The other day someone wrote to me and said, "I'll be coming to your state next week." And I thought, "I wonder why he's going to West Virginia?" He wasn't. He was coming to California. But I still, in my marrow, think of you as "my state." I only hope you still think of me as your son.
I have grandparents and great-grandparents buried in your ground. I have family living in the curves of your hills. I have pieces of me scattered all across your land. And I have the best parts of you locked here in my heart.
Although my family is buried across the Ohio in Steubenville, I understand exactly what he is saying,. For me, whereever I lived, I was from West Virginia and going home meant West Virginia. Being dragged back at least once a year for a dose of hills injected that love into DH, and although from time to time he reverts to Illinoisan in a comment, he also has grown to love this State. To illustrate - while away, I had at least 2 or 3 trips in some stage of planning and since coming back, I leave only when I have to (the Europe trip was special to see my brother) for family stuff or business. I am now content with where I am and WHO I am.
As we traveled around the Country, we encountered many people from West Virginia and there were only 2 categories, no middle of the road. They were either "I would go back in a heartbeat if I could make a living" or the "I don't care if I ever see that GD, god-forsaken State again as long as i live". But many, who cannot get back in their lifetime, come home to be buried.
Thank you, JB. It was nice to read what I felt put into words. Growing up, I could not wait to get out of WV, and after i left, I could not wait to get back!.
gillumhouse said:

Thank you, JB. It was nice to read what I felt put into words. Growing up, I could not wait to get out of WV, and after i left, I could not wait to get back!
That is something I know you can add into your blog. :) Especially with the 100th anniversary.
I love the reminscing type stories, if they are kept short (which is hard to do).

Thank you, JB. It was nice to read what I felt put into words. Growing up, I could not wait to get out of WV, and after i left, I could not wait to get back!.
gillumhouse said:

That is something I know you can add into your blog. :) Especially with the 100th anniversary.
I love the reminscing type stories, if they are kept short (which is hard to do).
Did you like that one? I just took your suggestion and did a blog entry on my blog about it. I have a couple photos I need to find and scan before I can do an Interactive. I included the link to the Letter in the blog.

gillumhouse said:

Did you like that one? I just took your suggestion and did a blog entry on my blog about it. I have a couple photos I need to find and scan before I can do an Interactive. I included the link to the Letter in the blog.
gillumhouse said:
Where is your blog? I cant find it. Can you add it to your sidebar on your website?

gillumhouse said:

gillumhouse said:
Where is your blog? I cant find it. Can you add it to your sidebar on your website?
Did you like the Interactive post? The blog is unfortunately hidden under the Activities as a drop down.
www.gillumhouse.com/blog

gillumhouse said:

gillumhouse said:
Did you like the Interactive post? The blog is unfortunately hidden under the Activities as a drop down.
www.gillumhouse.com/blog
gillumhouse said:
www.gillumhouse.com/blog
Okay I see it now. I would move it where people can find it, I even know your website and had to go to sitemap to see if it was there.
I like the innterative, however, it is national etc, so I would add a West Virginia or City name in the title somewhere. As that is what shows up in Facebook and Twitter and googleplus.

Thank you for sharing that link. I am not a born West Virginian I moved there and bought our B & B-I still have one house there and thats were my heart is. Every night as I lay down to sleep I thank God that I could save that house cause I truly fell in love with that place and my heart belongs there-the images of the rolling hills and zig zag roads and majestic mountains and clean air and stars so close that you may just reach up and touch them and the beautiful snow when it falls. Does it show that Im a WVA lover? just cant live there right now-no jobs, but my daughter is and my first WVA born is my grandson.
Its the most beautiful state that I've EVER seen (so far) and thats were I want to retire-like Gillum said-you either want to go back or you feel as if you would NEVER EVER want it...I miss it so much and the two days I was there before we came to this job was much too short and I cried when I left. I know someday I will be working in the gardens and watching the mountain laurels bloom and the birds coming through...
Wild Wonderful West Virginia....Gods country.

gillumhouse said:

gillumhouse said:
www.gillumhouse.com/blog
gillumhouse said:
www.gillumhouse.com/blog
Okay I see it now. I would move it where people can find it, I even know your website and had to go to sitemap to see if it was there.
I like the innterative, however, it is national etc, so I would add a West Virginia or City name in the title somewhere. As that is what shows up in Facebook and Twitter and googleplus.
Thanks for the advice. I added City & State to the title and added this as the beginning of the blog.
First we need to know - there IS a State called WEST VIRGINIA. It has a birthday this year also - 149 years old on June 20. 35 Walnut Street is a whippersnapper by comparrison

gillumhouse said:

gillumhouse said:
www.gillumhouse.com/blog
gillumhouse said:
www.gillumhouse.com/blog
Thanks for the advice. I added City & State to the title and added this as the beginning of the blog.
First we need to know - there IS a State called WEST VIRGINIA. It has a birthday this year also - 149 years old on June 20. 35 Walnut Street is a whippersnapper by comparrison
I tweeted it again. :)

Thank you for sharing that link. I am not a born West Virginian I moved there and bought our B & B-I still have one house there and thats were my heart is. Every night as I lay down to sleep I thank God that I could save that house cause I truly fell in love with that place and my heart belongs there-the images of the rolling hills and zig zag roads and majestic mountains and clean air and stars so close that you may just reach up and touch them and the beautiful snow when it falls. Does it show that Im a WVA lover? just cant live there right now-no jobs, but my daughter is and my first WVA born is my grandson.
Its the most beautiful state that I've EVER seen (so far) and thats were I want to retire-like Gillum said-you either want to go back or you feel as if you would NEVER EVER want it...I miss it so much and the two days I was there before we came to this job was much too short and I cried when I left. I know someday I will be working in the gardens and watching the mountain laurels bloom and the birds coming through...
Wild Wonderful West Virginia....Gods country..
birdwatcher said:
Does it show that Im a WVA lover?
Wild Wonderful West Virginia....Gods country.
Just brought a lump to my throat. I can honestly say that I don't feel that way about any place I've lived, but my hubby feels that way about his homestate- Maine.
Who knows where we'll end up, but I hope I feel that way about someplace in my lifetime :)

Got another for you.
This is from Blue Ridge Outdoors Magazine.
This is about Bill, an Appalachian farmer (LATCHUN) for those in the South, La-shun for those in the NE. In other words a mountain man. This is a beautiful article. T
The Greenest Man In The Mountains[/h1]

Got another for you.
This is from Blue Ridge Outdoors Magazine.
This is about Bill, an Appalachian farmer (LATCHUN) for those in the South, La-shun for those in the NE. In other words a mountain man. This is a beautiful article. T
The Greenest Man In The Mountains[/h1].
Thank you. His kind are dying out and disappearing. I knew several like him when I was frowing up.
It is easier to talk eco and feel good than it is to actually live it. It is VERY hard work (and constantly working) to live like that.

Back