Family style Breakfast

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mooseberry

Reaction score
I serve individually portins for breakfast, mostly make enough to be able to offer seconds.
I always cook more then we need, even at home.
If I'd start serving family style, how can i make sure I won't have way too much or god forbid not enough?
How do you measure?

Personally, I don't think you can get a good measurement if you are serving family style. To me, family style wastes as much food as a buffet breakfast does. You already know how much you over prepare so use that to gauge what would work in your area.
Statistics show that a plated breakfast is the least waste and therefore, usually, the least expensive to prepare. With family style you have to figure that each person will take more than their fair share of whatever it is and you WILL have to make more. If you usually serve 3 slices of bacon, you'll need to make 4/person for those who will take as much as they can get.
Why are planning to switch? What's the thinking behind that?

I serve family style. I make a recipe of mini-muffins so there are plenty for breakfast AND for "care packages" for the road. As for the rest, I make a casserole dish of eggs/sour cream/chives/shredded cheddar of 3 or 4 whole eggs and 3 or 4 egg whites for 2 people and add a couple extra eggs for 2 more people (figure a dozen for 4 people). Each person gets a small loaf of English muffin bread (as is the norm - this morning the question from each of my 3 business people was can I have the rest of my bread). Fruit is something that is hard to guage. I used a mango, a kiwi, and a couple slices of papaya cut up, and some fresh pineapple this morning. This group was not fruit eaters but I have had 2 people snarf up that size compote. DH handles the fruit. I figure 2 large pancakes per person or if doing a baked pineapple toast allow 3 "sticks" (slice and a half) per person and add 2 "sticks". Juice is just in the pitchers as a help yourself. I use any creamer left over in the cream pitcher in my coffee of the day.

I serve family style. I make a recipe of mini-muffins so there are plenty for breakfast AND for "care packages" for the road. As for the rest, I make a casserole dish of eggs/sour cream/chives/shredded cheddar of 3 or 4 whole eggs and 3 or 4 egg whites for 2 people and add a couple extra eggs for 2 more people (figure a dozen for 4 people). Each person gets a small loaf of English muffin bread (as is the norm - this morning the question from each of my 3 business people was can I have the rest of my bread). Fruit is something that is hard to guage. I used a mango, a kiwi, and a couple slices of papaya cut up, and some fresh pineapple this morning. This group was not fruit eaters but I have had 2 people snarf up that size compote. DH handles the fruit. I figure 2 large pancakes per person or if doing a baked pineapple toast allow 3 "sticks" (slice and a half) per person and add 2 "sticks". Juice is just in the pitchers as a help yourself. I use any creamer left over in the cream pitcher in my coffee of the day..
A dozen eggs for 4 people? You kill me! I'd be broke in a month.

I serve family style. I make a recipe of mini-muffins so there are plenty for breakfast AND for "care packages" for the road. As for the rest, I make a casserole dish of eggs/sour cream/chives/shredded cheddar of 3 or 4 whole eggs and 3 or 4 egg whites for 2 people and add a couple extra eggs for 2 more people (figure a dozen for 4 people). Each person gets a small loaf of English muffin bread (as is the norm - this morning the question from each of my 3 business people was can I have the rest of my bread). Fruit is something that is hard to guage. I used a mango, a kiwi, and a couple slices of papaya cut up, and some fresh pineapple this morning. This group was not fruit eaters but I have had 2 people snarf up that size compote. DH handles the fruit. I figure 2 large pancakes per person or if doing a baked pineapple toast allow 3 "sticks" (slice and a half) per person and add 2 "sticks". Juice is just in the pitchers as a help yourself. I use any creamer left over in the cream pitcher in my coffee of the day..
But remember - I use more whites than whole eggs. 2 whites = 1 egg and I toss the yolks. My schtick is low-cholesterol....(and the "garbage disposal gets something other than cocoa wheats on guest mornings - sometimes). Also I do not have a meat on the side - no bacon etc. (low-fat, low cholesterol) Eggs are a lot cheaper.

gillumhouse said:
Each person gets a small loaf of English muffin bread (as is the norm - this morning the question from each of my 3 business people was can I have the rest of my bread).
Thanks for the info, sounds like a delicious breakfast.
I have heard of English Muffin Bread...do you have a recipe? How small are the loaves?

But remember - I use more whites than whole eggs. 2 whites = 1 egg and I toss the yolks. My schtick is low-cholesterol....(and the "garbage disposal gets something other than cocoa wheats on guest mornings - sometimes). Also I do not have a meat on the side - no bacon etc. (low-fat, low cholesterol) Eggs are a lot cheaper.
You're still using a dozen eggs, whether the whole egg goes in or not. I'm thinking price here, anyway, not health. At $2+/dozen, that's a lot every morning. We're doing the meat sides to order now. Yes or no, you want it or you don't. That way there's no waste on that.

Personally, I don't think you can get a good measurement if you are serving family style. To me, family style wastes as much food as a buffet breakfast does. You already know how much you over prepare so use that to gauge what would work in your area.
Statistics show that a plated breakfast is the least waste and therefore, usually, the least expensive to prepare. With family style you have to figure that each person will take more than their fair share of whatever it is and you WILL have to make more. If you usually serve 3 slices of bacon, you'll need to make 4/person for those who will take as much as they can get.
Why are planning to switch? What's the thinking behind that?.
Bree said:
Why are planning to switch? What's the thinking behind that?
Not actually planning to switch, just looking at my posibilities to make life a little easier since I do 100% of the work here....

gillumhouse said:
Each person gets a small loaf of English muffin bread (as is the norm - this morning the question from each of my 3 business people was can I have the rest of my bread).
I have heard of English Muffin Bread...do you have a recipe? How small are the loaves?
It is posted here already in Recipes under Breads. I made a full recipe this morning for 3 small loaves and 1 medium size for DH. For 2 people I make a half recipe.

gillumhouse said:
It is posted here already in Recipes under Breads. I made a full recipe this morning for 3 small loaves and 1 medium size for DH. For 2 people I make a half recipe.
Thank you, I will try it . It sure sounds yummy...

gillumhouse said:
The pans I use for guest loaves are approx 2 1/2 x 5 inches. I tuck a steak knife under each bread plate and as I bring in the loaves say, "We have been told you can be trusted with sharp implements so there is a knife at your bread plate to cut your bread." When they exclaim that each gets a whole loaf, I tell them we have had knives pointed as warnings to bread thieves.

You're still using a dozen eggs, whether the whole egg goes in or not. I'm thinking price here, anyway, not health. At $2+/dozen, that's a lot every morning. We're doing the meat sides to order now. Yes or no, you want it or you don't. That way there's no waste on that.
My highest price this winter was $1.85 a dozen. We are at about $1.25 a doz average now.

You will always have to make MORE than enough so there is enough. Does that make sense? So I hope you like leftovers.
confused_smile.gif

I am one of those people - no name calling now - that when I go to someone's home (Family style dining) and each person gets one ear of corn, each person is allocated one burger, etc it bugs me. Not only that but the presentation is was lacking. To serve family style it needs to look abundant, not chintzy and that is hard to do without overdriving the meal with extras.
Remember when you have that on offer - one person might love bacon and want 6 to 8 pieces and take their share FIRST and you even thought ahead and allocated 3 per person, which would not work.

You will always have to make MORE than enough so there is enough. Does that make sense? So I hope you like leftovers.
confused_smile.gif

I am one of those people - no name calling now - that when I go to someone's home (Family style dining) and each person gets one ear of corn, each person is allocated one burger, etc it bugs me. Not only that but the presentation is was lacking. To serve family style it needs to look abundant, not chintzy and that is hard to do without overdriving the meal with extras.
Remember when you have that on offer - one person might love bacon and want 6 to 8 pieces and take their share FIRST and you even thought ahead and allocated 3 per person, which would not work..
You will always have to make MORE than enough so there is enough.
Definitely. BUT the size of the serving dish will also help with this. I make my egg bake in an 8x8 square glass pan if thre are 4 - cut into 6 pieces and it puffs up to look BIG. For 2, I use a casserole dish that looks bigger than it is - especially fresh from the oven. A full house (6 people) I of course add a few more eggs but bake it in a 9x13 glass pan pre-cut into 12 pieces.

I pay very close attention to presentation.
I have been asked if I were a chef...haha....no, just al naturale.....
So maybe I will just stick with individual servings so I can keep making it look like a million dollar plate
wink_smile.gif

Thanks for all your comments.
I just aquired a "Waffle frying pan" which makes mini waffles, and they are adorable. Looks great as an add on on the plate. Just had a 2 year old and I served them to her, along with whipped cream and fruit...the parents just thought it was "da bomb".....special treatment for the little ones.

confused_smile.gif

Remember when you have that on offer - one person might love bacon and want 6 to 8 pieces and take their share FIRST and you even thought ahead and allocated 3 per person, which would not work..
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
confused_smile.gif

Do you find yourself mentally calculating how much of anything you can take in those situations? I hate that. And depending on where you are in the 'pass along' you may not get your favorite part of the meal if the OTHER people don't bother to restrain themselves. No stuffing? No gravy? YOU know who you are people!
And believe me, if your own family won't think ahead and make sure you have your share, why would strangers who will, of course, think there is more in the kitchen?

confused_smile.gif

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
confused_smile.gif

Do you find yourself mentally calculating how much of anything you can take in those situations? I hate that. And depending on where you are in the 'pass along' you may not get your favorite part of the meal if the OTHER people don't bother to restrain themselves. No stuffing? No gravy? YOU know who you are people!
And believe me, if your own family won't think ahead and make sure you have your share, why would strangers who will, of course, think there is more in the kitchen?
Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
confused_smile.gif

Boy, did that just bring back memories....I do remember being at one B&B, 16 people for breakfast ( was a bigger place ) homestyle servings....
since we sat on the other end of the table, they gave us our own bowls...scrabled eggs for 2, 4 sausage links and 2 pancakes...there were 3 of us....no extras either.
Sad when you go to a B&B and have to go for Breakfast later....

confused_smile.gif

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
confused_smile.gif

Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
confused_smile.gif

Boy, did that just bring back memories....I do remember being at one B&B, 16 people for breakfast ( was a bigger place ) homestyle servings....
since we sat on the other end of the table, they gave us our own bowls...scrabled eggs for 2, 4 sausage links and 2 pancakes...there were 3 of us....no extras either.
Mooseberry Inn said:
Been there done that. The place sold and hopefully the new owners are not skin flints. The issue with family style is no matter what anyone says, IT IS A Boo-Fay! If someone handed my husband a bowl of scramb eggs and bacon would be take a little petite portion? NO WAY! In fact the kids eat like horses they would clean house.

confused_smile.gif

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
confused_smile.gif

And depending on where you are in the 'pass along' you may not get your favorite part of the meal if the OTHER people don't bother to restrain themselves. No stuffing? No gravy?
Memories of a Christmas party. Paid up front so they KNEW how many would be there. We were the end of the line and ended up having paid $12 each for rolls and gravy - no extra potatoes even in the kitchen much less meat or vegetables or salad.

confused_smile.gif

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
confused_smile.gif

Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
confused_smile.gif

Mooseberry Inn said:
Been there done that. The place sold and hopefully the new owners are not skin flints. The issue with family style is no matter what anyone says, IT IS A Boo-Fay! If someone handed my husband a bowl of scramb eggs and bacon would be take a little petite portion? NO WAY! In fact the kids eat like horses they would clean house.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Mooseberry Inn said:
So true about the kids. I wasn't even thinking about what kids would grab as the plates went around and mom & dad were enjoying THEIR vacation too much to supervise. My '90 lb weakling' ate like a horse. And her brother ate more. And the 'step' would clear a serving plate because her eyes are bigger than her stomach and then it would sit there while she wandered around.

Back