Favorite Frying Pan for Eggs?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Draper

Reaction score
Because I must have cooked 20 DOZEN eggs or so for all my special needs peeps this week, I'm noticing how worn my skillet is.
Seems no matter what brand I try all of the nonstick skillets I get for making eggs last no longer than 6 months. I use all plastic utensils, they get hand washed, etc. but the nonstick just seems to wear out over time. I've done both expensive and cheap, I'm mostly just buying the cheap ones and replacing them every 2 months or so as the cost comes out the same. Anyone have a brand they recommend?

I love my Calphalon one hard anodized 10" skillet, but when it became worn (after about two years of using it for everything) I was unable to replace it. I prefer the hard-anodized over the nonstick surface because I think it wears better. I ended up buying a Cuisinart Green hard-anodized just about a month ago and so far I like it. I now try to conserve it for omelets and scrambles and use my older Calphalon for personal cooking, when the stickiness and speed aren't quite as essential.

I love my Calphalon one hard anodized 10" skillet, but when it became worn (after about two years of using it for everything) I was unable to replace it. I prefer the hard-anodized over the nonstick surface because I think it wears better. I ended up buying a Cuisinart Green hard-anodized just about a month ago and so far I like it. I now try to conserve it for omelets and scrambles and use my older Calphalon for personal cooking, when the stickiness and speed aren't quite as essential..
Thanks, I've never tried the hard-anodized, maybe will give it a whirl since it's time to replace anyway.

Stainless with copper base, I switched over and never looked back! They have them from time to time at Sam's Club or the like where you can get a gourmet/commercial HEAVY USE set for a reasonable price! I have also seen some decent sets at...Target. Glass lids. Without promoting any specific brand.

In 2 years, I went through 3 sets of small omelet pans. It seems like the non-stick surface gets compromised and then you have to pitch them. :-(
I just bought some pans at World Market on sale just for personal use and they work great and were not expensive. I have the Professional Calphalon cookware for everything else and I love it. Although.......I was just in a Williams-Sonoma store and was drooling over some really high end cookware.
tounge_smile.gif

I've gone through 2 Calphalon's this year already. They are nice heavy pans and work well for a while, but in time just lose the nonstick surface. We get our eggs delivered on Saturday mornings, and DH just realized we have gone through 12 dozen eggs this week (8-10 is normal this time of year) and we'll have to get some at the grocery store before our delivery comes this week. That's because every single guest in this house has had scrambled eggs this week!!!! Hallelujah they all check out tomorrow.

I've gone through 2 Calphalon's this year already. They are nice heavy pans and work well for a while, but in time just lose the nonstick surface. We get our eggs delivered on Saturday mornings, and DH just realized we have gone through 12 dozen eggs this week (8-10 is normal this time of year) and we'll have to get some at the grocery store before our delivery comes this week. That's because every single guest in this house has had scrambled eggs this week!!!! Hallelujah they all check out tomorrow..
it's been an Eggs-travaganza! :)

Went through 12 dozen eggs this week?! Whew that chook must be plum tuckered out!
cry_smile.gif

Sorta side track...
Do you all feel there is a typical guest who prefers scrambled eggs (or eggy dishes) more than another? I mean, a generic demographic that eats more eggs vs the rest?
We have discussed this before. When I first opened and Dr Atkins was popular and I was up baking muffins at the crack of dawn and guests refused them and only wanted MEAT and MORE MEAT! GIVE US PROTEIN!
Don't you feel it is not only the style or temperament of the innkeepers, aka cooks but also the typical or mass appeal of your demographic?
Example: Romantic getaways prefer sweeter breakfasts than say business guests. Just as a case in point.

cast iron ... different size frying pans and a big grill two burners covered ...

Sorta side track...
Do you all feel there is a typical guest who prefers scrambled eggs (or eggy dishes) more than another? I mean, a generic demographic that eats more eggs vs the rest?
We have discussed this before. When I first opened and Dr Atkins was popular and I was up baking muffins at the crack of dawn and guests refused them and only wanted MEAT and MORE MEAT! GIVE US PROTEIN!
Don't you feel it is not only the style or temperament of the innkeepers, aka cooks but also the typical or mass appeal of your demographic?
Example: Romantic getaways prefer sweeter breakfasts than say business guests. Just as a case in point..
I think so. The romantic getaways always picked the sweet breakfasts here (I would often give them a choice since they typically had breakfast delivered for an additional fee.) Seemed like people really liked a sweet breakfast on Sundays too, which I typically did. Interesting topic....

cast iron ... different size frying pans and a big grill two burners covered ....
Try as I might and no matter how well seasoned they are I just can't get the eggs to not stick in the cast iron. We have cast irons in every size, use them for everything else but I'm no good with the eggs in them.
sad_smile.gif

cast iron ... different size frying pans and a big grill two burners covered ....
Try as I might and no matter how well seasoned they are I just can't get the eggs to not stick in the cast iron. We have cast irons in every size, use them for everything else but I'm no good with the eggs in them.
sad_smile.gif

Rupert said:
sad_smile.gif
That's cuz they need bacon grease!
BTW anyone who is iron deficient can get that extra boost of iron from a cast iron skillet.

I've gone through 2 Calphalon's this year already. They are nice heavy pans and work well for a while, but in time just lose the nonstick surface. We get our eggs delivered on Saturday mornings, and DH just realized we have gone through 12 dozen eggs this week (8-10 is normal this time of year) and we'll have to get some at the grocery store before our delivery comes this week. That's because every single guest in this house has had scrambled eggs this week!!!! Hallelujah they all check out tomorrow..
Rupert said:
I've gone through 2 Calphalon's this year already. They are nice heavy pans and work well for a while, but in time just lose the nonstick surface.
That is so interesting. I've had mine for years and no problems at all. Is it getting scratched with the spatula? Calphalon has a lifetime warranty.

Looking through all the posts I haven't seen anybody mention Pampered Chef... We bought about 7 years ago the Professional or whatever they call it edition of their sauce pans and frying pans... They come with a lifetime warranty, their others only come with a couple year warranty.. We had one that the non stick was starting to peel, they exchanged it.. another my wife heated a candle up(inside a glass candle holder) and it boiled over and covered the bottom of the pan.. after cleaning it completely and a year of not using it.. we exchanged it for a new one.
You might look into them.. (I would not disclose you are using it for your business)..

Because it is a dirty word. I used to send people cash in the hand to NOT invite me to home parties, you go to one you have to go to them all. I would beg and plead and then finally have to be mean to get the word out "Don't invite Joey she won't come!"
Nothing against their products, I believe Pamp Chef are great, I hate home parties! I hate book parties, I have all those "my kids fund raiser" buy wrapping paper or onions at inflated prices that the company keeps. Notice I have a child in marching band and none of you have ever nor will ever be hit up, and times are tough, they need to $. You can thank me later. :) I am supposed to hit you up btw, or am a bad band booster.

I always buy John Lewis own brand pans (not much us to you folks in the US, I Know), I've had my egg pans for several years now and they're still going strong.
I think the trick with non-stick is don't use detergent or over-wash. Once I finish cooking and the pan is still hot I run it under the hot tap and give it a rub over with a brush, then I wipe it with a tea-towel or kitchen roll.

It's been so hot here lately, we've been frying everything on the sidewalk.
tounge_smile.gif

We found a great set of Lincoln Wearever non-stick pans at a restaurant supply store years ago. I know we've had them for at least 5 years and, though discolored, show no sign of the non-stick surface coming wearing. They were a little pricey, but apparently well worth it.

Back