Favorite Guest Quirks

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
As mentioned I am not so into the boring guests or the standard romantic getaway/anniversary guests, with the same old same old...
I love the quirky ecentric guests.
Today I have a man who is like Gopher on Winnie the Pooh and whistles when he talks. This is the second time this year, and for whatever reason I just adore this! I am sure he has battled it most of his life (if not due to a stroke or something) and hates it, but I just love it! I love the different guests, I love the unexpected, that is what I live for in this business!
At the end of the day when someone different has been here I think about it, I learn something and it helps me grow as a person. As I say, the rest of them all blend into one "Joe guest" after a while.

We had a different call this morning.
Guest: I am bringing my mother to see Monticello. You are the closest B&B to them right?
DH: I recken so (we are actually not by about 1/16 of a mile but who's counting?)
Guest: I would like to book two rooms with queen beds
DH: Actually we have two large rooms with king beds.
Guest: Can't you take out the king and put queen beds in the rooms?
DH: Uh, no.
Guest: Well you won't do for us then
DH didn't get a chance to tell him he won't book here because he wants a one night stay on Saturday anyway. Good luck, buddy!
RIki

Guest: I am bringing my mother to see Monticello. You are the closest B&B to them right?
DH: I recken so (we are actually not by about 1/16 of a mile but who's counting?)
DH didn't get a chance to tell him he won't book here because he wants a one night stay on Saturday anyway. Good luck, buddy!
RIki.
egoodell said:
RIki
I can't believe you weren't willing to move beds from one room to another for a one night stay.
tounge_smile.gif
It makes you wonder if they would be coming on the short bus.

RIki.
egoodell said:
RIki
I can't believe you weren't willing to move beds from one room to another for a one night stay.
tounge_smile.gif
Proud Texan said:
egoodell said:
RIki
tounge_smile.gif
We don't have any queen beds. We have two rooms with two king beds. I guess he expected me to put my beds in the basement and scamper out and purchase two queen beds just for him...
riki

its why I have 4 sets of zip and link beds and another room with a double and a single bed makes for an easier life!

I am going to delete this thread. PEOPLE PEOPLE can we not hijack from the first reply!!
cry_smile.gif

you innkeepers are incorrigble. and I can't even spell that!
ps guess who has no check ins today? go ahead and guess....yeahhhhhh baby...i made it to the other side, I am stoked, more than stoked. i get to sleep in tomorrow, what is that?

RIki.
egoodell said:
RIki
tounge_smile.gif
Short Bus ... heard this term about 8 yrs ago from a Bridgewater College student. He said he spent his school yrs on "the short bus". I said "OH! you went to a private school also,one of my daughters did too !" No I was/am learning disabled. He did graduate and is an artist somewhere in Europe.

RIki.
egoodell said:
RIki
tounge_smile.gif
Proud Texan said:
egoodell said:
RIki
tounge_smile.gif
We don't have any queen beds. We have two rooms with two king beds. I guess he expected me to put my beds in the basement and scamper out and purchase two queen beds just for him...
riki
egoodell said:
Proud Texan said:
egoodell said:
RIki
tounge_smile.gif
riki
And you wouldn't do it??? Lol

I think my favorite guest quirk is when they leave right after breakfast and the room looks as if no one has slept in it.

one of my most favorite guests was a tinkerer, he smelled faintly of sawdust and machinery somehow ... his wife headed out to shop for local things, to tour, to take pics, he was happy as all get out three days straight trying to get my late husband's mantle clock to run. in the meantime, he adjusted a schoolhouse clock, got my weather vane spinning, and tuned an old timey radio, and some other odds and ends.
i was worried his wife would be miffed not to have his company but she felt free to go out and enjoy the area because she said he'd be so obviously bored ... at one point, she dropped him at a country / hardware store where he happily rummaged through bins for hours and picked up little drill bits and who knows what else.
she came back and showed me her hand knitted sweater, hand picked blueberries, clover honey, maple syrup, a model ship, homemade pie and hand churned ice cream (that they shared with us all) ... he laid out a clean cloth and proudly showed his drill bits and pieces of wire and such.
when he smiled, his eyes disappeared into little slits above big round apple cheeks. adorable.

The man who only ate raw food. He came back for a second stay (they were moving to the area) and this time it was only raw food - but he asked for my mufins and my bread. Several years later I had a lady who only ate raw food.

one of my most favorite guests was a tinkerer, he smelled faintly of sawdust and machinery somehow ... his wife headed out to shop for local things, to tour, to take pics, he was happy as all get out three days straight trying to get my late husband's mantle clock to run. in the meantime, he adjusted a schoolhouse clock, got my weather vane spinning, and tuned an old timey radio, and some other odds and ends.
i was worried his wife would be miffed not to have his company but she felt free to go out and enjoy the area because she said he'd be so obviously bored ... at one point, she dropped him at a country / hardware store where he happily rummaged through bins for hours and picked up little drill bits and who knows what else.
she came back and showed me her hand knitted sweater, hand picked blueberries, clover honey, maple syrup, a model ship, homemade pie and hand churned ice cream (that they shared with us all) ... he laid out a clean cloth and proudly showed his drill bits and pieces of wire and such.
when he smiled, his eyes disappeared into little slits above big round apple cheeks. adorable..
That is a great story! Sounds like a guest that I would have loved too!

when he smiled, his eyes disappeared into little slits above big round apple cheeks. adorable..
That is a such a great story! Those are the guests that make it worthwhile! :)

This reminded me of the night I had 2 rooms in the shared bath era, it was late and one notified me the sink was slow - VERY slow. I plunged to no avail, checked for hair with same result. He thought it moght be in the trap. I brought up some tools and he insisted on taking it off - not there (he realized DH was not able to do anything about this). The man in the other room came out to see what was happening and went down to his truck for more tools. It just so happened that I had picked up a gizmo that would shoot an air blast through the pipes to clear obstructions (it was on the get rid of table for $2) and DH was afraid we were going to blow pipes. We did it, it worked, they put my bathroom back together and returned to their rooms. They were pleased to have been able to help me, they worked together, and had been total strangers before then.

We love the guests with stories to tell about things we wouldn't otherwise know about. If all you've ever done in your life is live 'Disney' that's not what we mean. The people who built their own boat, sailed to the Caribbean and back, the 80-somethings who take their sailboat up and down the coast every year, the guests who go to exotic locales during the year, own their own businesses, the folks who are not living vanilla lives. They're the ones we like to have around to listen to.
The 80+-yo who was one of the lawyers involved in Pan Am/Trans World with Howard Hughes. A few Hollywood types (who went completely against 'type'). Some radio personalities. Authors. Musicians.
Folks whose stories let us see other lives from their perspective rather than the media hype.
But, 'just folks' are great guests, too. Because everyone has a story if only they are able to live it.

I think my favorite guest quirk is when they leave right after breakfast and the room looks as if no one has slept in it..
I think my favorite guest quirk is when they leave right after breakfast and the room looks as if no one has slept in it.
Ooooo...me, too!!!

We love the guests with stories to tell about things we wouldn't otherwise know about. If all you've ever done in your life is live 'Disney' that's not what we mean. The people who built their own boat, sailed to the Caribbean and back, the 80-somethings who take their sailboat up and down the coast every year, the guests who go to exotic locales during the year, own their own businesses, the folks who are not living vanilla lives. They're the ones we like to have around to listen to.
The 80+-yo who was one of the lawyers involved in Pan Am/Trans World with Howard Hughes. A few Hollywood types (who went completely against 'type'). Some radio personalities. Authors. Musicians.
Folks whose stories let us see other lives from their perspective rather than the media hype.
But, 'just folks' are great guests, too. Because everyone has a story if only they are able to live it..
Madeleine said:
Because everyone has a story if only they are able to live it.
Can I steal this?

But, 'just folks' are great guests, too. Because everyone has a story if only they are able to live it..
Madeleine said:
Can I steal this?
Penelope said:
Madeleine said:
Can I steal this?
Sure thing.

Back