Favorite guests this summer?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Care to share about your favorite guests this summer?
(without personal details of course keeping them anon)
  1. May I ask, was it the attitude of the guests you really enjoyed? Look at the list of favorite guests you keep in the back of your mind, what do they all have in common? Positive outlook? Encouragement? Happy faces? Smiles they share around the breakfast table?
  2. Did you find yourself more giving when around those guests?

What it is about the favs...positive outlook, happy demeanor, weather not an issue (altho the fact that it was 20 degrees cooler here helped), said good morning to everyone, introduced themselves to everyone, thanked us for everything, talked to us like real people instead of 'the help', had no plans but were happy to take our suggestions and reported back each day on what they liked and didn't like, great stories, honest opinions and it was wonderful that they were truly in love with each other.
I always try harder when faced with these guests. So-so guests get my 'good game', great guests get my best game.

I don't want to jinx myself but this summer has been delightful. I've had almost exclusively wonderful guests. What makes them wonderful? They FIT. I can be myself, they can be themselves. The reviews are better and there are more of them, the "gifts" have been incredibly thoughtful (many of them hand-made) and bottom line, I'm really enjoying the season.

Good point about the fit. Although sometimes the most diametrically opposed guests are the ones I really enjoy. So maybe for me as well, the fit and the unfit are the ones I like. Of course, when I have been swamped and tired I just adore those who want privacy and romance only. But those are not memorable for me as an innkeeper, I am glad to have them, of course, but I cannot recall their faces now...

The ones who walk in and smile. They are so happy to be here and we are so happy to have them here. They appreciate everything and are engaging but not over the top.

we have had some really lovely ones we have had two lots of diabled people who I always worry are going to be PITA's but both lots were so pleased to have an easy place to stay. One of the ladies who was in a wheel chair mainly but could walk a few steps with a frame. She said she normally dreads going away but that we had made it really easy and she had really enjoyed her stay away for a change.

I have had so many! The couple here for the third time and he says as he walks in, "Where do you have us going this time?", the couple last week on their 10th anniversary- ended up giving them the rose AND cider & goblets because they were such a joy and I cannot tell you why they were a joy - they just were. They were followed by a couple who told us their last night here it was their 40th - they rode bicycles - and how lovely it was to be here. Mou nt Fe st had 2 couples - the wedding couple that gave me fits about getting them IN the house were wonderful and had such rousing conversation with the motorcycle couple who were also great! No tips/no gifts other than telling us how wonderful it was to be here. Or the lady who was here with her Mother in April and booked for July 3-4 so she & DH could come to our band concert!

We've had 2 families with home-schooled children - both families were delightful. One family with 3 teen daughters came for a Civil War Blue-Grey Ball - the girls had made their own gowns for the dance... coming down our stairway dressed up - what a sight! And such mature, well-spoken young ladies! Once girl sat at the piano before going to their dance and entertained us. The other family with one son and one daughter - they were traveling thru Virginia doing the Civil War sites - kids had their notebooks and were so excited to be doing this. The family connected with another couple of guests and planned on visiting them in northern Virginia for more Civil War site tours.

The ones who have done a little bit of research before choosing our place so they know they are getting what they want. They walk in and exclaim "It looks just like the website!" and they love every facet of it. From that moment on every little moment of interaction is like a bonus to them, because they were already happy to be getting exactly what they wanted.
Then it just seems to naturally follow that these kinds of people take all of your suggestions for activities, dining, etc. and love every single one of them.
We only ever really get in trouble when one person plans for an entire group, so the rest of the group has NO CLUE where they are staying or what it's about and they are just almost always cranky from the moment of arrival and there's just no saving it. This is why we VERY STRONGLY discourage group bookings.

We work on the policy if you have a group booking you have to have the whole place so that there is not say 1 room which is completely unrelated to the group.

Attitude is everything, me says.
Vying for favorites this summer are a couple from Baton Rouge here for 4 nights. It POURED down last night, they are happy as can be on the porch reading their books while the rain pummeled the place, in fact loving every minute. Where other guests complain about not being able to do this or that. They say "When it stops...we will do this or that." I LOVE THAT!
I bring out breakfast, comments galore wow this is amazing etc. They have had their own pot of coffee on a tray each morning, flowers by the bed, wine glasses for their evening each night.
Asking me how the morning went getting the girls off to skool for the first of the new skool year.Just plain ol' nice people, and great guests!
Oh and yesterday I was not here, had the sign on the door for CHECK IN BEGINS AT... And they were inside and told me "We saw the sign on the door, and we also read the confirmation about no early check ins, so we didn't let them in. They wanted us to. We went out there and said we are only guests you will have to wait til check in time" I thought this was so funny! I thanked them for that. They said to me "Well you don't need to answer that door until check in time, people can just wait!"
cheers.gif

Do you remember the first day of school? I love seeing the kids in their new school shoes, waiting eagerly to wear them on the first day...when you are little you want to sleep in them! I took this pic and a couple others on the porch before school today.
Skool.JPG

Vying for favorites this summer are a couple from Baton Rouge here for 4 nights. It POURED down last night, they are happy as can be on the porch reading their books while the rain pummeled the place, in fact loving every minute. Where other guests complain about not being able to do this or that. They say "When it stops...we will do this or that." I LOVE THAT!
I bring out breakfast, comments galore wow this is amazing etc. They have had their own pot of coffee on a tray each morning, flowers by the bed, wine glasses for their evening each night.
Asking me how the morning went getting the girls off to skool for the first of the new skool year.Just plain ol' nice people, and great guests!
Oh and yesterday I was not here, had the sign on the door for CHECK IN BEGINS AT... And they were inside and told me "We saw the sign on the door, and we also read the confirmation about no early check ins, so we didn't let them in. They wanted us to. We went out there and said we are only guests you will have to wait til check in time" I thought this was so funny! I thanked them for that. They said to me "Well you don't need to answer that door until check in time, people can just wait!"
cheers.gif

Do you remember the first day of school? I love seeing the kids in their new school shoes, waiting eagerly to wear them on the first day...when you are little you want to sleep in them! I took this pic and a couple others on the porch before school today.
Skool.JPG
I LOVE this pic! I hope your girls have a wonderful school year. I went to parochial school so shoes and socks were our only means of "wardrobe expression" so I especially looked forward to the first day of school and cool new shoes!!!

cheers.gif

Skool.JPG
Now those were some great guests!!! And such a cute pic :) I know your girls probably wanted to get back to school.

cheers.gif

Skool.JPG
I LOVE this pic! I hope your girls have a wonderful school year. I went to parochial school so shoes and socks were our only means of "wardrobe expression" so I especially looked forward to the first day of school and cool new shoes!!!
Lucky you. NO expression at my school at all. Same socks, same shoes, same uniform, same headband.
I got my FIRST pair of blue jeans when I went to high school! My mother was aghast that I was going to wear them TO school!

cheers.gif

Skool.JPG
Lucky you. NO expression at my school at all. Same socks, same shoes, same uniform, same headband.
I got my FIRST pair of blue jeans when I went to high school! My mother was aghast that I was going to wear them TO school!
It was fairly hilarious, esp at the high school level...who could find the loudest, most obnoxious socks. As long as they were knee socks it was okay. Shoes we had a little less wiggle room, fairly standard loafers, etc. I do NOT miss ironing those stupid Peter Pan collars...

cheers.gif

Skool.JPG
It was fairly hilarious, esp at the high school level...who could find the loudest, most obnoxious socks. As long as they were knee socks it was okay. Shoes we had a little less wiggle room, fairly standard loafers, etc. I do NOT miss ironing those stupid Peter Pan collars...
Oh, high school, too? You poor thing. But, I would have been all over the outlandish socks thing! Still am.
We moved the day after I graduated 8th grade so no parochial hs for me. My mother wanted me to go to the Catholic high school where we moved to but I told her she had to drive me because the bus only went to the public hs. She didn't drive. I lied. The bus went to the public hs and then another bus picked up all the Catholic school kids at all the public highs and took them to school. I SO wanted to go to public hs!

I just spent an hour talking to these wonderful folks and they went over every little thing they love about their stay. They said little things you didn't have to do, but did. She said when she came down to the warm brownies she let out a little yelp. She said "They were still warm!"
See how it is! Blessings...I can't count them. I need to one day try. :)

cheers.gif

Skool.JPG
Oh, high school, too? You poor thing. But, I would have been all over the outlandish socks thing! Still am.
We moved the day after I graduated 8th grade so no parochial hs for me. My mother wanted me to go to the Catholic high school where we moved to but I told her she had to drive me because the bus only went to the public hs. She didn't drive. I lied. The bus went to the public hs and then another bus picked up all the Catholic school kids at all the public highs and took them to school. I SO wanted to go to public hs!
NICE! See, you outsmarted your parents but my parents outsmarted ME...I only did freshman year at the catholic school...which was 10 miles away from home, and the public high school was literally two blocks from our house. My Dad got sick of driving me everywhere (sports, band, etc.) and simply said "That's it!" I kicked and screamed that I didn't want to go (mostly because I wouldn't know anyone, since I'd not gone to the public grade school). But away I went...and wouldn't you know I met DH there...he asked me to the Junior Prom and the rest as they say is history. So my folks got the last laugh and like to remind me FREQUENTLY that they always know best!

I just spent an hour talking to these wonderful folks and they went over every little thing they love about their stay. They said little things you didn't have to do, but did. She said when she came down to the warm brownies she let out a little yelp. She said "They were still warm!"
See how it is! Blessings...I can't count them. I need to one day try. :).
Joey Bloggs said:
See how it is! Blessings...I can't count them. I need to one day try. :)
Something my son learned in grade school...every night before you go to sleep, name 3 good things that happened that day. (I had no idea he was doing this until he told me about it. Apparently it was very good for him to do this.)

Back