Favorite Spices

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kay Nein

Reaction score
What is your favorite spice for savory dishes? Sometimes onion and garlic just aren't enough and you can't always rely on bacon or sausage grease. How do you up the flavor in your breakfast dishes?

K-9 give us an example of a savory, like a quiche?
For that I use blue cheese, hot sauce, onions, depending on the mood maybe some "Mrs Dash" or chili powder...I try not to use garlic at breakfast.

A number of different spices, depends on the dish. Alderwood smoked salt is wonderful to add the smokiness to something. Basil as a herb is great. And I love nutmeg!

Eggs = basil or chives (regular and garlic chives) or dill or oregano or a bit of mint minced for something different
You could whisk sour cream and salsa into eggs also. I add cheeses too.
Or drizzle a little Sweet Onion Dressing on the eggs.

Depending on the dish I may add Mrs Dash - there are several varieties. If I want to kick it up a notch I'll add Zatarain's No Salt version. I don't add salt to any thing except oatmeal, they can add that at the table.
Basil, Thyme or Rosemary are great in eggs.

Depending on the dish I may add Mrs Dash - there are several varieties. If I want to kick it up a notch I'll add Zatarain's No Salt version. I don't add salt to any thing except oatmeal, they can add that at the table.
Basil, Thyme or Rosemary are great in eggs..
or just a "touch" of tarragon - a little goes a long way.

For eggs: Fresh basil, fresh parsley or pesto
For potatoes: Rosemary garlic mix or Italian seasoning
For baking: cardamom, cinnamon and cloves (pie spices) or candied ginger
Here's a chuckle for you:
I served an omelet once and the guest asked what herbs I had used, I said, "Oh, you know, the Simon and Garfunkel herbs" I'm meaning: parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme, and she snorts, "Marijuana?!!"
omg_smile.gif

I served an omelet once and the guest asked what herbs I had used, I said, "Oh, you know, the Simon and Garfunkel herbs" I'm meaning: parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme, and she snorts, "Marijuana?!!"
omg_smile.gif
Willowpondgj said:
omg_smile.gif
LOVE it!

omg_smile.gif
Willowpondgj said:
omg_smile.gif
LOVE it!
I love trying different salts . Or different spices. IE.. like bam! or Paula Deans spices.
Love it!!! Simons spices. Umm wonder if lady uses :"M" spice herself?
Some of the French mixtures you buy all ready made.

omg_smile.gif
Had guests see a local hookah bar and ask if it was hash. Seriously!

Great ideas everyone!
I've been very conservative with my breakfast options just trying to appeal to mass tastes. But, I want to start experimenting. And I definitely want to make it tasty.
Thanks for the hints

cardamom in yogurt goes really well with some poached pears. If you poach them in pino, it goes even better!

Fresh dill or chives in scrambled eggs with cream cheese. Smoked paprika and cumin in a SW egg bake with cottage cheese, cheddar cheese, onion, thyme and basil some chopped chili peppers, if I have them.

Back