Fax Machine?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Draper

Reaction score
Guest who is on night 3 of a 5 night stay (and who has required a special, and different, breakfast each morning of his stay so you already know how I feel about him) just interrupted DH mowing the lawn to ask if we had a fax machine. We do not, when our computer and printer recently died we upgraded to a wireless printer and it does not have fax...we do NOTHING by fax so didn't see the use. We do have the free efax account set up so if we need to receive something we can.
DH said no we don't, we have the guest computer hooked up to a printer so he could print out any email, etc. that he needed. Guest said he needed a fax, he didn't seem upset but then I heard him in his room yelling to his wife "How can they not have a fax machine, it's a business for God's sake!"
I am now sitting outside, typing on my wirelessly connected laptop, watching as he and his wife drive off to the Staples which is about 2 miles away. They both looked huffy as they got in the car. I'm just chuckling.
We do not entertain business guests very often at all, and those that we do always have their own internet cards, etc. Do you all have a fax machine available for guests?

EEKS!
NO
If they are on business they can do all that at the business they are there to visit. I have business guests here right now, btw.
I got a new printer recently, way cool. I needed to scan something so I scanned it right onto my SD card I popped into the front and gave to someone. Or you can scan it to a pdf file or your pc. We bought this place with a dinosaur fax machine on a second business line we paid for each month for the fax ONLY. Tthe internet was dial up since the rooms had no cable, on the MAIN phone line. Everything was backwards, and old, now it is up to speed. I can fax with this same printer - if I want to. But the guest might need to be a bit more polite than yours to make me want to. HANG IN THERE! 2 more nights to go!

It's not out in the open and it costs the world to receive a fax, but we do have one if someone needs it. As yourselves, we don't use it maybe 1-2x/year to actually fax something ourselves.

We have one and, although the occasions are rare, we find they often involve rather important people and things. We had a famous director from Japan with us who needed to get a fax at some odd hour of the night. The thing is... they were VERY happy we were able to help them and we have since had referrals because of it. Another occasion involved an important document that required a physical signature. Again, that we were there to help won us a lot of praise.

Well, of course they are all VERY important!
Maybe we should have one, I guess I just didn't appreciate the attitude of the guest...it just makes me laugh because they stayed here three years ago, just before we took over...SO many things have been changed/improved, but of course none of that rates a mention by him.

Yes we have a fax machine here. It is a copier, fax, printer. I have it set up to print wirelessly from any computer...even the guests personal computers. I have a macintosh airport hooked to it. There is a seperate line that it plugs into the printer as well and we do have a fax number but we also use this line as a multiple use line. It is my personal line so it is what I am listed under in the phone book. I have a wireless phone system with a handset in each room. The guest can call out locally on this line or receive a call on this line as well. I have all the ringers turned off so unless the guests needs it they won't even know its ringing. From time to time I have a guest that needs to send or receive a fax. Usually it has had to do with buying a house or signing other similiar documents. I also have the credit card machine plugged into this line. It works out well so that I can keep my main line free of all this mess.

Yes we have a fax machine here. It is a copier, fax, printer. I have it set up to print wirelessly from any computer...even the guests personal computers. I have a macintosh airport hooked to it. There is a seperate line that it plugs into the printer as well and we do have a fax number but we also use this line as a multiple use line. It is my personal line so it is what I am listed under in the phone book. I have a wireless phone system with a handset in each room. The guest can call out locally on this line or receive a call on this line as well. I have all the ringers turned off so unless the guests needs it they won't even know its ringing. From time to time I have a guest that needs to send or receive a fax. Usually it has had to do with buying a house or signing other similiar documents. I also have the credit card machine plugged into this line. It works out well so that I can keep my main line free of all this mess..
Nice! We just changed to an iMac and Macbook and we have the wireless router for both, and they are connected to the wireless printer as well, but they didn't have in stock the machine that was both printer and fax.

we can fax out but can't receive on that machine - we rarely, ever get a request to fax anything these days

No we don't and we don't plan to either.
If someone has an emergency I have a scanner and can email it.
Riki

Maybe we should have one, I guess I just didn't appreciate the attitude of the guest...it just makes me laugh because they stayed here three years ago, just before we took over...SO many things have been changed/improved, but of course none of that rates a mention by him..
My printer will also scan & fax and I can fax something for someone. If it was long distance, I woud charge them for it ;-)

Maybe we should have one, I guess I just didn't appreciate the attitude of the guest...it just makes me laugh because they stayed here three years ago, just before we took over...SO many things have been changed/improved, but of course none of that rates a mention by him..
uuhhm- I just mean that our fax requests seem to come from VIP types.

We have a fax machine and it was used quite a bit in the past, but as technology gets more advanced the use of the fax has declined. On the rare occasions that a guest receives a fax, we do charge. (Our's is an old machine and costs a lot to print.) I do not charge for the occasional fax, but if they tell me that they are going to send several during their stay I will charge for this too as this is long distance.
When this one goes out, I do not think we will replace it unless we happen to need a printer and then will get a combo.

All of my windows XP PCs have a fax built in (shows up as a printer)....you need a scanner of course if it was that kind of document, but it is something to keep in mind if it arises again.

uuhhm- I just mean that our fax requests seem to come from VIP types.
Oh I was just teasing! It just seems that everyone feels they are a "VIP" type...and of course they all act as if the fax is the most important thing in the world, etc.

I have a fax but hardly ever use it - maybe once every couple of months? I have taken fax number off all my ads and cards (I hope). When it dies I will not replace it. When you listen to techies they say that fax machines really are on the way out. You can scan email and print now so it's no biggy.

We have a few lawyers who stay with us several times during the year. They always need the fax machine so we will keep it for now. Other than that, we rarely use it.

I too had 2 lines - one was computer/fax and one main voice line (only actually). When I went high speed, I dropped the second line and one of these days I MUST stop procrastinating and go through the wiring because I have something messed up that probably has to do with the second phone line that is no longer active because the fax is not working and neither does my scanner although the computer, copier, and the printer do work. It is a printer.copier.scanner/fax. I will figure it out one of these days or else will "borrow" the son of one of our Councilmen who knows his stuff. Most of the faxes I got when it did function (on this machine before the second line went dead) were in-coming crap faxes that used all my black ink.

Back