Fed up with 'food'

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
We just joined a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) and I got our first load of veggies on Thursday. So, I've been planning menus around the veggies. So far, so good. Today hubs went to the grocery store for some staples we haven't had in house as we've really just been living on salad and chicken for a few months.
Anyway, I'm reading the labels on stewed tomaotes, black beans, kernal corn, mango chutney and I'm fed up. Every single item he brought back from the store had either or both high fructose corn syrup and partially hydrogenated some sort of oil.
Other than money, what possible reason could there be for a company to ADD some sort of oil to peanut butter for Pete's sake.
So, I'm asking, if this is something you care about and shop around, could you give me some brand names that avoid the additives. My secondary choice is going to the natural foods store, which is close enough that it's not a big deal, just involves a second trip out.

It is really hard to find stuff without that corn syrup - I have looked everywhere for a pickle relish without it and got nowhere. I even asked at my farm market and found out they are not allowed to sell it since it doesn't have a high sugar content like jam. All I wanted was a little to add to my egg salad for lunch.
At our local grocery Martin's (which is a division of Giant) they make a house brand called Natural Promise that works well. And far be it from me to tout Amazon, but that is where I have found whole-grain couscous when I couldn't find them at any stores around here.
Some other brand names to look for - Muirglen is organic (pasta sauces and canned stuff), Newman's Own is often pretty good that way, and Jim likes the Nature's Path brand cereals for low sugar content.
And I found this web page that lists foods without HFCS http://cookingschmooking.blogspot.com/2008/05/food-beverages-without-high-fructose.html
Another one: http://www.stophfcs.com/list.html
Jeanne

It is really hard to find stuff without that corn syrup - I have looked everywhere for a pickle relish without it and got nowhere. I even asked at my farm market and found out they are not allowed to sell it since it doesn't have a high sugar content like jam. All I wanted was a little to add to my egg salad for lunch.
At our local grocery Martin's (which is a division of Giant) they make a house brand called Natural Promise that works well. And far be it from me to tout Amazon, but that is where I have found whole-grain couscous when I couldn't find them at any stores around here.
Some other brand names to look for - Muirglen is organic (pasta sauces and canned stuff), Newman's Own is often pretty good that way, and Jim likes the Nature's Path brand cereals for low sugar content.
And I found this web page that lists foods without HFCS http://cookingschmooking.blogspot.com/2008/05/food-beverages-without-high-fructose.html
Jeanne.
I use a relish that I buy at Walmart. Can't remember the brand but it is a national brand. Sweetened with splenda. No corn syrup.

Jeanne.
I use a relish that I buy at Walmart. Can't remember the brand but it is a national brand. Sweetened with splenda. No corn syrup.
Sorry, I hate Splenda in processed food items - I can drink it in hot or iced tea, but not in anything else. Apparently there are some organic brands of relish that have sugar rather than HFCS - Cascadian Farms brand even won a Cook's Illustrated taste test.
HFCS is in many items as a food preservative, not so much as a sweetener - which I guess is why it's in corn and black beans.
Jeanne

Jeanne.
I'm trying to avoid anything that, as the book I read said, 'My grandmother wouldn't recognize as food.'
It's harder than I thought it would be.

Jeanne.
I'm trying to avoid anything that, as the book I read said, 'My grandmother wouldn't recognize as food.'
It's harder than I thought it would be.
My husband has a hard time with preservatives and other things that have pesticides. So we buy organic when possible and make basic food and from scratch.
However, I do use splenda and a few sugar alcohols in my food. He is able to use them without problems. So he uses some of the things I do. But if I can't eat many carbs, that means not any fruit, sugar, flour, etc. So I don't have the option of not using splenda or sugar alcohols if I want something sweet.

I remember being in Jr. High and one student commenting to the instructor that peanut butter companies take out the peanut oil and put some other oil in it, and that has been quite a few years ago! Apparently folks have been watching out for that for a long time.
Carol

Jeanne.
Because of your post, I read the label on the dill relish I bought today. No hfcs. I prefer dill relish to a sweet relish though.

HOTDOG relish versus hamburger relish. ALL OF THEM have red bell pepper in them. I can't eat any now.

Hello Bree (and everyone)!
I don't own a B&B, I am a website designer and I was just browsing this forum and doing some research for a B&B website that I need to design for a client.
Anyway, I read your post and thought I'd share my experience with you. Our local health food store has ridiculously high prices on everything because it's the only one in the area, so what we do is order large amounts of canned and packaged goods from the grocery section at Amazon.com. We get free shipping and their prices are lower than the natural foods store.
They sell Westbrae products which are great, they have a few different kinds of canned beans and veggies. Muir Glen is another good one for canned tomatoes, like muirfod mentioned.
I hope I'm not intruding, I just felt compelled to help! :)

I don't own a B&B, I am a website designer and I was just browsing this forum and doing some research for a B&B website that I need to design for a client.
Anyway, I read your post and thought I'd share my experience with you. Our local health food store has ridiculously high prices on everything because it's the only one in the area, so what we do is order large amounts of canned and packaged goods from the grocery section at Amazon.com. We get free shipping and their prices are lower than the natural foods store.
They sell Westbrae products which are great, they have a few different kinds of canned beans and veggies. Muir Glen is another good one for canned tomatoes, like muirfod mentioned.
I hope I'm not intruding, I just felt compelled to help! :).
Thanks. I think someone else mentioned the Amazon ordering, I may have to look into it. Weird as it may seem...

I hope I'm not intruding, I just felt compelled to help! :).
Thanks. I think someone else mentioned the Amazon ordering, I may have to look into it. Weird as it may seem...
That was me. My Amazon list on here always has whole-wheat couscous in my recommendations because I've ordered them there. If you choose the free shipping option, it's usually not a bad deal.
Jeanne

Hi. I'm new to the forum and we are, I guess what you call "Expectant Innkeepers" - still in the remodeling/renovating stages. I'm enjoying reading the reality of what we are to be expecting. Well... enjoying and possibly thinking I should be running away in abject horror...
My son is a type I diabetic and I am constantly looking for foods without HFCS or added sodium. Breads are the worst - if you want a whole grain bread, they seem to need to add HFCS into it! Not only is adding HFCS cheaper for the company, it's also easier for their machines to measure.
The good news is that I've noticed over the years it is getting easier to find products without the added junk. Most major grocery stores have started carrying "healthfood aisles" and Giant Supermarkets has started marketing their own organic/health food brand (Nature's Best, I think it's called). Their skim milk is the only one I can stomach! Prices are starting to come down, too. The best prices, though, still come from our year-round local farmers' market.
With the Whole Foods (cooking with unprocessed foods - not the food chain, although it is good, too) movement gaining momentum, I'm starting to see more companies make prepackaged food with less processing. Try Amy's (www.amys.com) and Eden's (www.edenfoods.com). They're both carried at my local supermarket. Generally speaking, I shop only in the perimeter of the supermarket, staying away from the center aisles which contain the highest processed foods of them all.
My suggestion would be to take a day when you have the time (I know, hahahaha.....) and go to the supermarket with notepad and paper. Start reading labels and writing down your favorite products that have ingredient lists that you can live with. For us it's no HFCS, no added salt, no hydrogenated oils and a couple other odds and ends (like having sugar being lower on the list). You'll be surprised at which labels are better than you'd think. Cento isn't bad on many things and the local store brand of canned goods actually is one of the few that carries no-salt-added canned tomatoes. Once you have taken that time, you won't have to read labels again and can more quickly shop. Overall, I bet the grocery store will be cheaper than ordering it online, too.
Good luck. Being a label reader for the last 14 years has not been easy, but I'm glad that I do.

Hi. I'm new to the forum and we are, I guess what you call "Expectant Innkeepers" - still in the remodeling/renovating stages. I'm enjoying reading the reality of what we are to be expecting. Well... enjoying and possibly thinking I should be running away in abject horror...
My son is a type I diabetic and I am constantly looking for foods without HFCS or added sodium. Breads are the worst - if you want a whole grain bread, they seem to need to add HFCS into it! Not only is adding HFCS cheaper for the company, it's also easier for their machines to measure.
The good news is that I've noticed over the years it is getting easier to find products without the added junk. Most major grocery stores have started carrying "healthfood aisles" and Giant Supermarkets has started marketing their own organic/health food brand (Nature's Best, I think it's called). Their skim milk is the only one I can stomach! Prices are starting to come down, too. The best prices, though, still come from our year-round local farmers' market.
With the Whole Foods (cooking with unprocessed foods - not the food chain, although it is good, too) movement gaining momentum, I'm starting to see more companies make prepackaged food with less processing. Try Amy's (www.amys.com) and Eden's (www.edenfoods.com). They're both carried at my local supermarket. Generally speaking, I shop only in the perimeter of the supermarket, staying away from the center aisles which contain the highest processed foods of them all.
My suggestion would be to take a day when you have the time (I know, hahahaha.....) and go to the supermarket with notepad and paper. Start reading labels and writing down your favorite products that have ingredient lists that you can live with. For us it's no HFCS, no added salt, no hydrogenated oils and a couple other odds and ends (like having sugar being lower on the list). You'll be surprised at which labels are better than you'd think. Cento isn't bad on many things and the local store brand of canned goods actually is one of the few that carries no-salt-added canned tomatoes. Once you have taken that time, you won't have to read labels again and can more quickly shop. Overall, I bet the grocery store will be cheaper than ordering it online, too.
Good luck. Being a label reader for the last 14 years has not been easy, but I'm glad that I do..
Welcome to the forum!!! We're glad you're here!
When is your "due date?"
=)
Kk.

Welcome to the forum Wendy!
You must live in a larger town or city to have the luxuries of health food sections/aisles. Unfortunately where I am we don't have this in any of the 3 grocery stores. DOH!
Oddly enough Super Wal Mart (tongue in cheek on the oddly enough comment) being the worst. At least the one other little guy has a small mexican and asian and kosher section.
Any helpful hints on avoiding HFCR here is greatly appreciated.
Start any new threads if you have any questions. We are a friendly bunch. If you read grrrr comments about guests or guest stories this is after we have guest after guest day after day and we wear thin.
Example: Lock the other rooms - I found in one room today the three spare blankets from that closet, the bed has one blanket and quilt, plus a folded matellasse at the end of the bed as a light weight extra blanket, AND a comforter set with emtpy shams from another guest room closet. TRUST ME it was NOT cold up there. But for whatever reason this couple decided to play tent of something in the room.
What do I do gang? Wash every single item?

Welcome to the forum Wendy!
You must live in a larger town or city to have the luxuries of health food sections/aisles. Unfortunately where I am we don't have this in any of the 3 grocery stores. DOH!
Oddly enough Super Wal Mart (tongue in cheek on the oddly enough comment) being the worst. At least the one other little guy has a small mexican and asian and kosher section.
Any helpful hints on avoiding HFCR here is greatly appreciated.
Start any new threads if you have any questions. We are a friendly bunch. If you read grrrr comments about guests or guest stories this is after we have guest after guest day after day and we wear thin.
Example: Lock the other rooms - I found in one room today the three spare blankets from that closet, the bed has one blanket and quilt, plus a folded matellasse at the end of the bed as a light weight extra blanket, AND a comforter set with emtpy shams from another guest room closet. TRUST ME it was NOT cold up there. But for whatever reason this couple decided to play tent of something in the room.
What do I do gang? Wash every single item?.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
What do I do gang? Wash every single item?
I say yes, wash it all. Remember my guests last year who piled the duvets into the bed? You just don't know. And, yes, I realize guests may not even get in the bed before having 'fun'. (With my guests I knew, I could hear them all the way downstairs.)

Good luck. Being a label reader for the last 14 years has not been easy, but I'm glad that I do..
Thanks Wendy!
When I did the shopping it was easy. I did just what you do (perimeter aisles only) and I knew which brands didn't have the added junk. Now it's hubs who shops and he just gets what cheap. (My fault there, I think, he used to come home with very expensive junk.)

Welcome Wendy.
One of the reasons I do the low-fat etc is because my DH had high BP and no one had told him NO SALT you idiot! After his wife died his idea of a fun evening was kids in bed (5 of them) and sit in front of the TV with a bag of potatoe chips on Saturday night. It took 3 months and dumping the quack for a real doc to find out the problem. 35 years ago the only ready-made brand of special diet food was Featherweight - it tased sooo good you would rather keel over than eat it. Then he was diagnosed as Type II diabetic.
After his heart attack, we found out he was a walking cholesterol factory. So now we have no sale, no sugar, and no fat and I am married to "give me a BIG GOLD Star because I stick to my diet!" (ad nauseum).
So I make my pasta, bake our bread, and dump my wallet at the produce store. They print the labels too small for me to read these days.
I know what you go through with the diet. Traveling is the worst - you either bring your own food (what DH does - when he is not eating half of my food to have a "taste") or pray a lot.

Back