Federal Gvmt Per Diem Lodging Rates by State - and meal rates!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JunieBJones (JBJ)

Reaction score
You will thank me for this link!
http://www.gsa.gov/Portal/gsa/ep/contentView.do?contentType=GSA_BASIC&contentId=17943
I have had federal callers tell me the per diem for lodging was MUCH lower than what this states! (Ithis is 2009 which is higher than last year)
There is also the meal rate on the same page (if you click thru to a state and view your city or nearby city) which might be helpful with some of your bookings. If they get $33 per day for food and you are providing the most important meal of the day for FREE with their lodging - AND giving them a cut rate - you might want to rethink how you book these rooms.

Can we put this in the resource section so it doesn't get lost?
=)
Kk.

Okay the director emailed me back and stated SHE LOVES TO STAY AT B&B's and encourages them to join up. The only main requirement seen up front (other than the other rules like 4pm cancellation policy etc) is that we are FEMA approved. She said to look at the website to see what that involves.

Here is the link to at least one of the forms you will need to complete to qualify. www.usfa.dhs.gov/applications/hotel/online_registration.cfm
Our B&B was on the approved list after Katrina, but I never had anyone stay that used FEMA. The Hotels in the area did but most will not do it any longer. They experienced slow (very slow) reimbersment as well as some rules that left their property at risk. I know that there were many changes to a lot of programs after that storm but still too scary for me.
We get lots of government guests without being on this site...could we have more by being on it, quite possibily but for me at this time the negatives out weigh the possitives.

For our area, we fall in the CONUS rates: 70.00 lodging and 39.00 meals. A kind guest told us that was before tax so we fixed that accounting error. Our lowest rate room is $89 plus tax - a double bed/private bath/no TV That's the room we offer gov rates/military rates. We are looking hard at this.... do we offer this for all military active vs retired vs on leave, add additional amount if spouse comes along, charge full rate if 2 people share room, charge extra for meal. I've even considered offerering a deep discount for the other rooms - so we can get heads in the bed. Our military guests are keeping us going right now - I certainly don't want to create ill-will and have them go elsewhere.

For our area, we fall in the CONUS rates: 70.00 lodging and 39.00 meals. A kind guest told us that was before tax so we fixed that accounting error. Our lowest rate room is $89 plus tax - a double bed/private bath/no TV That's the room we offer gov rates/military rates. We are looking hard at this.... do we offer this for all military active vs retired vs on leave, add additional amount if spouse comes along, charge full rate if 2 people share room, charge extra for meal. I've even considered offerering a deep discount for the other rooms - so we can get heads in the bed. Our military guests are keeping us going right now - I certainly don't want to create ill-will and have them go elsewhere..
greyswan said:
For our area, we fall in the CONUS rates: 70.00 lodging and 39.00 meals. A kind guest told us that was before tax so we fixed that accounting error. Our lowest rate room is $89 plus tax - a double bed/private bath/no TV That's the room we offer gov rates/military rates. We are looking hard at this.... do we offer this for all military active vs retired vs on leave, add additional amount if spouse comes along, charge full rate if 2 people share room, charge extra for meal. I've even considered offerering a deep discount for the other rooms - so we can get heads in the bed. Our military guests are keeping us going right now - I certainly don't want to create ill-will and have them go elsewhere.
The Gov. per diem rates are provided so the government travelers will know how much they can get reimbursed for. Those on leave, retired etc. are traveling on their own dime. I it is nice to provide a 'thank you for your service' discount to them but to go down to the per diem rate (20% in your case)???
If it is the military that is keeping you open, they currently ARE happy with the rate you are providing! If they STOP booking is when you need to consider making your discount deeper!

Back