fee for cleaning?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paradise

Reaction score
Good morning,
This isn't the very first time, but we have an older guest who just told me that he's had an "accident & ruined your linens." They are due to check out tomorrow (he's with his son) & thus we'll need to do a full (& then some to remove stains, etc.) cleaning today, which normally wouldn't have occured as they check out tomorrow.
Would you charge a cleaning fee? If so, what amount?
Thanks for thoughts on this..

Hey you are lucky he told you. Don't worry...change the linens and be done with it. No extra cost. Things happen and he was up front about it.

Ditto what CL said. Unless you find it is absolutely above and beyond. Or you have to hire someone else to come in and clean carpets.
We had a rather unfortunate incident here with a guest who must have eaten something really bad. ('Nuff said.) We were still finding 'evidence' for a week after he left. He's a good customer but he never mentioned a thing about it.

Yes, in this case I'd just be glad they told you right away. Sorry you had to do so much extra though.

would you need to get someone in? if so would charge for that. Its why I have water proof mattress protectors on everything now just can't trust idiots not to drink too much. Also if linens are "ruined" ie cannot be used ever again would charge for that to. If you are an older person who has occasonal accidents you should be prepared ie dry nights. the only person with an excuse is kids or adults with learning difficulties anyone else should know better.

no extra charge ...
the guest must have been mortified. i would have been! and he actually told you ... that is quite something. are the linens actually ruined or just need to be cleaned?
hopefully you have the pads on your beds between the mattress cover and the mattress ... i had them when my children were babies and went looking for them when i discovered this issue running the b&b. rubbery on the side down and like a flannel on the upper, they don't shift on the mattress. not the plastic and paper things in a hospital, these are washable and work great.
i am trying to remember where i found the stuff. big big sheets of it i think from a medical supply place that sells geriatric supplies. yes, it was an additional expense but so minor compared to having to replace mattresses. it won't save from having to wash the linens and change the bed of course.

Hey you are lucky he told you. Don't worry...change the linens and be done with it. No extra cost. Things happen and he was up front about it..
Thanks for the replies. We actually have TWO mattress pads (both needed washing) & there are no carpets here, nor "people to call" to clean up these things-just us.
It was unfortunately not urine...it was quite difficult to clean-involving having to scrub & hose & put through the washing machine twice. Too there wasn't any attempt made to clean, so all of the "offending material" was there....

Hey you are lucky he told you. Don't worry...change the linens and be done with it. No extra cost. Things happen and he was up front about it..
Thanks for the replies. We actually have TWO mattress pads (both needed washing) & there are no carpets here, nor "people to call" to clean up these things-just us.
It was unfortunately not urine...it was quite difficult to clean-involving having to scrub & hose & put through the washing machine twice. Too there wasn't any attempt made to clean, so all of the "offending material" was there....
wow.gif
There was no BARFING icon, this was the closest thing. Gross.

eeeeewwwwwww! I am so sorry you had to deal with this. You would think he would have been embarrassed and had tried to clean it up before telling you. I am so glad we have retired.

I'd have at least whipped it into a bundle and put it in the shower so it didn't leak any further people have no brains none at all. By people to call round here we have so many hotels and guest houses there is a professional company that steam cleans mattresses after these sort of incidents which means you can get the mattress back into service quickly if you need to. Think i would have just binned everything and charged him

I'd have at least whipped it into a bundle and put it in the shower so it didn't leak any further people have no brains none at all. By people to call round here we have so many hotels and guest houses there is a professional company that steam cleans mattresses after these sort of incidents which means you can get the mattress back into service quickly if you need to. Think i would have just binned everything and charged him
We live on a tiny island, so there often aren't "people" to call to take care of things-you do them yourself or they don't get done. I considered the "bin" idea (my husband was in favor), but the sheets were fairly new & the top mattress pad sort of "pillow top" so pricy, AND none can be replaced easily-all stores are far, far away..
Thx for the feedback, all.

We live on a tiny island, so there often aren't "people" to call to take care of things-you do them yourself or they don't get done. I considered the "bin" idea (my husband was in favor), but the sheets were fairly new & the top mattress pad sort of "pillow top" so pricy, AND none can be replaced easily-all stores are far, far away..
We bought http://www.bissell.com/little-green-proheat-deep-cleaner/ and have it in the house and ready, in case of emergency.
But I don't know if I could get into the room myself without starting to choke up.... and worse. I might need a hazmat team just because I can't do it myself without creating more to clean up.

barf.gif
I have a strong stomach but I would have charged for that! Nice of the guest to own up to it, but it was gross to clean up after all.

We bought http://www.bissell.com/little-green-proheat-deep-cleaner/ and have it in the house and ready, in case of emergency.
But I don't know if I could get into the room myself without starting to choke up.... and worse. I might need a hazmat team just because I can't do it myself without creating more to clean up.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
lol! yes, hubby needed a hazmat suit...hence i cleaned the poopie... but afterwards he broke the news that he'd booked the secret anniversary trip! so it was worth it in the end (i can say that easily now that it's over :) )

no extra charge ...
the guest must have been mortified. i would have been! and he actually told you ... that is quite something. are the linens actually ruined or just need to be cleaned?
hopefully you have the pads on your beds between the mattress cover and the mattress ... i had them when my children were babies and went looking for them when i discovered this issue running the b&b. rubbery on the side down and like a flannel on the upper, they don't shift on the mattress. not the plastic and paper things in a hospital, these are washable and work great.
i am trying to remember where i found the stuff. big big sheets of it i think from a medical supply place that sells geriatric supplies. yes, it was an additional expense but so minor compared to having to replace mattresses. it won't save from having to wash the linens and change the bed of course..
Here is a link for the rubberized pads to protect the mattress. Not expensive and definitely worth it for the protection against life's little accidents.
http://www.onlinefabricstore.net/flannel-fabric/rubberized-flannel-fabric/rubberized-flannel-fabric-.htm?gclid=CNOgjaqpoqoCFQFN4AodfAxOVg

no extra charge ...
i am trying to remember where i found the stuff. big big sheets of it i think from a medical supply place that sells geriatric supplies. yes, it was an additional expense but so minor compared to having to replace mattresses. it won't save from having to wash the linens and change the bed of course..
Here is a link for the rubberized pads to protect the mattress. Not expensive and definitely worth it for the protection against life's little accidents.
http://www.onlinefabricstore.net/flannel-fabric/rubberized-flannel-fabric/rubberized-flannel-fabric-.htm?gclid=CNOgjaqpoqoCFQFN4AodfAxOVg
blech. sorry about the poo but glad you got the trip!
all i can think is lots of elders take fiber stuff all the time to keep regular and then ... well ...
we have encountered this issue with an elder in my family. i've instructed all that you just deal with it, don't make faces or comments, and hope when your day comes it doesn't happen to you or, if it does, someone kind cleans up after you.

no extra charge ...
blech. sorry about the poo but glad you got the trip!
all i can think is lots of elders take fiber stuff all the time to keep regular and then ... well ...
we have encountered this issue with an elder in my family. i've instructed all that you just deal with it, don't make faces or comments, and hope when your day comes it doesn't happen to you or, if it does, someone kind cleans up after you.
seashanty said:
and hope when your day comes it doesn't happen to you or, if it does, someone kind cleans up after you.
Amen, sister!

We have clearly stated in our policies that we have an upcharge for extra cleaning that goes above and beyond normal cleaning. Of course no one reads our policies, but our hind ends are covered.

Back