Fee for late check out?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
Do you charge a fee for late check out? Do you have an advance request for late check out the guest can buy when they make their Rez?
We had someone who requested a late check out but never replied to our email asking what time they needed to leave so we could arrange housekeeping to cover.
Phone conversation with guest was awkward as they were pushing for late check out but would not say when they wanted to leave. I finally rattled off a bunch of fees based on different check out times and they decided 11 am was a good time to depart.
There must be a better way. We’re not really fond of late check outs as we’re tied to the property until they leave. Thus we feel we should be paid for our time!

I’ve never done it, but I do get antsy waiting. And if we have a housekeeper who is waiting, it literally costs us money. So I’m considering it.

I don’t usually charge, but don’t have many requests. We clean and can’t do all the rooms at once anyway, a bit late is not a problem, if late means after supper then a different story

Under Reskey "Items For Sale" I have this one set up. I sell about 7 or 8/year.
Zzz THE $40 FOR 4 PM LATE CHECK OUT SPECIAL!! Zzz
Subject to availability.
Like to sleep late and take your time on your day of departure? Take advantage of late check out and you can stay in your room as late as 4 p.m. for just an additional $40 + tax. This special only applies to check outs on Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday afternoons. In the rare case when we can't offer this option (if someone else has already booked to arrive early that afternoon), we'll let you know that this $40 add-on has been removed from your bill. Enjoy!!
Type: Item For Sale
Price: 40$
Ask quantity: No
Taxes to apply: (all)
Displays a photo I stole from Joey Bloggs of 2 sets of feet sticking out from under bed sheets.
Additonal options: No start or end day, so it's always available, but only displays for Saturday, Sunday and Monday nights because Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday are usually slower nights. Those are the only nights I offer late check out the next afternoon.
Advanced settings:
Reservation status: Special Package Selected.
Stars: shows a gold star on the availability list so I can know at a glace that that reservation has late checkout

Subject to availability.
Like to sleep late and take your time on your day of departure? Take advantage of late check out and you can stay in your room as late as 4 p.m. for just an additional $40 + tax. This special only applies to check outs on Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday afternoons. In the rare case when we can't offer this option (if someone else has already booked to arrive early that afternoon), we'll let you know that this $40 add-on has been removed from your bill. Enjoy!!
Displays a photo I stole from Joey Bloggs of 2 sets of feet sticking out from under bed sheets.
Additonal options: No start or end day, so it's always available, but only displays for Saturday, Sunday and Monday nights because Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday are usually slower nights. Those are the only nights I offer late check out the next afternoon.
Advanced settings:
Stars: shows a gold star on the availability list so I can know at a glace that that reservation has late checkout.
On our check in form we have a line about late check out and it’s $50/hour. I would sell too many at less than $10 per.
Like Jim said, we can’t get to every room at once, so a little later than 11 is not terrible, but these folks would not commit to an actual departure time.

Subject to availability.
Advanced settings:
Stars: shows a gold star on the availability list so I can know at a glace that that reservation has late checkout.
On our check in form we have a line about late check out and it’s $50/hour. I would sell too many at less than $10 per.
Like Jim said, we can’t get to every room at once, so a little later than 11 is not terrible, but these folks would not commit to an actual departure time.
Morticia said:
Agreed, couldn't do it by the hour at just $10 per. In my case, I get a flat $40, regardless of when they leave, and almost all are gone by 1 p.m. They usually just stay an hour or two past 11 a.m. checkout. Rarely will one stay till 4.
I've had a few book it and pay for it (because they reserve it at the time they book the room) and weeks later, when they actually come, they end up leaving by 8 a.m. and I still get the $40. On the whole, I think I come out fine.

$50 for Late CheckOut (any time until 4PM). Subject to availability (no one coming in).
Everyone wants late check-out. Until they have to pay for it. Then they don't.

Back